Sign in to follow this  
LionKid90

Tough Draft Decisions

Feel like we need a thread on this. We all drafted. Most of us mock and try to prepare, but nothing is like going through the real draft. You can mock a ton of times and you face a situation in the draft you haven't had before. 

I had the 7th pick, which I feel like is the toughest. All the obvious guys are off the board, which leaves you between Saquon, the WR1's (minus AB) and the mid to low end RB1's (Hunt, Fournette, Cook). I went with Hopkins.

Went Wilson over Watson at QB.

Howard over Mixon in the third

Hunt over Cook

Landry as my WR2 over guys like Cooper, Gordon, Tate, Jones, and even Theilen.

Edited by LionKid90
  • Like 1

Gordon vs Fournette in the late 1st ..... planning on Lenny

Howard over Julio in the 2nd..following a large contingent of people who think JoHo is gonna ball out this year.

• Like 3

Went Rivers over Wentz because I wanted to go safe and I hate it now... 

Grabbing Coleman in the 7th since I have Freeman instead of addressing my WR2, which is now Goodwin

Taking Wentz in the 9th and grabbing Big Ben in the 11th

Grabbing Kelly to cuff Gurley and nabbing Conner at the same time (smart move) instead using it for more depth

I took Reed over Burton in the 9th of a 12 team. His foot is healthy now, they said. This is the year he has value, I thought.

Still the same guy who's been hurt literally every season since high school + roster construction is screwed bc of having to carry 2 TEs.

4 minutes ago, ItsMeTater said:

I took Reed over Burton in the 9th of a 12 team. His foot is healthy now, they said. This is the year he has value, I thought.

Still the same guy who's been hurt literally every season since high school + roster construction is screwed bc of having to carry 2 TEs.

Yeah I went Reed over Burton as well. Really high on both but felt like Reed had a little more upside. I basically passed on Delanie Walker multiple times as he really fell in our draft. 

19 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

Feel like we need a thread on this. We all drafted. Most of us mock and try to prepare, but nothing is like going through the real draft. You can mock a ton of times and you face a situation in the draft you haven't had before. 

I had the 7th pick, which I feel like is the toughest. All the obvious guys are off the board, which leaves you between Saquon, the WR1's (minus AB) and the mid to low end RB1's (Hunt, Fournette, Cook). I went with Hopkins.

Went Wilson over Watson at QB.

Howard over Mixon in the third

Hunt over Cook

Landry as my WR2 over guys like Cooper, Gordon, Tate, Jones, and even Theilen.

Sounds like you made mostly right decision. I would have taken Cooper over Landry but that's just me.

I also took Wilson but I feel really nervous about it. He was best available when it was QB time. I think Watson is going to flop. 

Diggs over A.J. Green 

Mariota over Mahomes (Superflex league)

Questioning these moves but I don’t necessarily feel like I made the wrong one.

Originally had the 6th overall pick but last minute switched to 5th in the early draft (guy had to move to the later draft). Was taking Fournette unless one of the big RBs fell.

Top 4 go chalk, weighing between AB and Fournette at 5. Went Fournette and I'm glad I did as it started a HUGE run on RBs, pushing legit WR1s down to the mid second. Grabbed Keenan Allen at 20th overall as my WR1. I like that combo better than pretty much any combo featuring AB as my first pick. After that I basically went zero RB as my next targets went way earlier than expected. Next RB pick was Burkhead in R7, Barber B8, Mack R9, Michel R10. 

38 minutes ago, InVINCEable said:

Gordon vs Fournette in the late 1st ..... planning on Lenny

Lenny usually goes before Gordon..

I’m finding it hard to choose between Melvin Gordon and Kareem Hunt at the end of round one. I had the 12 pick and 13th pick in a 12 teamer and grabbed Odell and Gordon, Hunt went two picks later. 

Leonard Fournette over Odell Beckham

Jordan Howard over Dalvin Cook, Devonta Freeman, Kennan Allen, Michael Thomas, Devante Adams, etc.

Edited by Novaray

I took Josh Gordon with the 3rd pick of the 3rd round (27th overall) of a standard twelve team redraft.  Passed Jordan Howard over to grab him.  Heard a lot of snickers over that one.  I had a feeling though, that I had a good read on the flow of the draft and would be content with the RBs that fell to me in the 4th.  I would still have good options then, but Josh Gordon would not have made it back to me.

As of today I love how my team turned out -

1.  David Johnson (3)

2.  AJ Green (22)

3.  Josh Gordon (27)

4.  Alex Collins (46)

5.  Royce Freeman (51)

6.  Marquise Goodwin (70)

7.  Chris Carson (75)

I think AJ Green falling to me in the 2nd is what allowed me to take a risk with Josh Gordon.  DJ and Green is about a great a start as I could have hoped for.  If I didn't have a set-and-forget RB1 and WR1, I would have gone safe and chosen Howard instead.  But I saw a chance to build a juggernaut so I took it.

Time will tell if I made the right decision.

1 minute ago, Johnny Rico said:

I took Josh Gordon with the 3rd pick of the 3rd round (27th overall) of a standard twelve team redraft.  Passed Jordan Howard over to grab him.  Heard a lot of snickers over that one.  I had a feeling though, that I had a good read on the flow of the draft and would be content with the RBs that fell to me in the 4th.  I would still have good options then, but Josh Gordon would not have made it back to me.

As of today I love how my team turned out -

1.  David Johnson (3)

2.  AJ Green (22)

3.  Josh Gordon (27)

4.  Alex Collins (46)

5.  Royce Freeman (51)

6.  Marquise Goodwin (70)

7.  Chris Carson (75)

I think AJ Green falling to me in the 2nd is what allowed me to take a risk with Josh Gordon.  DJ and Green is about a great a start as I could have hoped for.  If I didn't have a set-and-forget RB1 and WR1, I would have gone safe and chosen Howard instead.  But I saw a chance to build a juggernaut so I took it.

Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Not a fan of your team. Gordon over Howard should be a sin. You opted for a questionable player over a guaranteed 250+ touch running back on a revitalized offense. And got stuck with Alex Collins who is as questionable as it gets. Hopefully Freeman puts up for you. 

In the mid/late part of the 4th rd when I need a RB Im always unsure on Miller/Collins/Drake/Feeeman.

Never feels like great pick.

Edited by cs3

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

In the mid/late part of the 4th rd when I need a RB Im always unsure on Miller/Collins/Drake/Feeeman.

Never feels like great pick.

That is exactly why I started all my drafts RB/RB this year. Receivers at that point of the draft vastly outweigh the backs. 

But it all comes down to your opinion. Some people think Miller, Collins, Drake are going to be good this year. To me they stink of below average RB2's. 

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

That is exactly why I started all my drafts RB/RB this year. Receivers at that point of the draft vastly outweigh the backs. 

But it all comes down to your opinion. Some people think Miller, Collins, Drake are going to be good this year. To me they stink of below average RB2's. 

Same here - avoided this situation at all costs.  I picked up Drake at this point - however, I already had Melvin and Lenny.  Collins / Miller are probably safer picks.  Drake's ceiling is huge though.

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I mean I'm not exactly thrilled with any of them, but which 18 RBs do you have ranked ahead of that group?

Just now, cs3 said:

I mean I'm not exactly thrilled with any of them, but which 18 RBs do you have ranked ahead of that group?

In both my 10 and 12 man leagues I did the exact same thing.

Took Gordon at 11, Howard at 13.

Took Gordon at 10, Howard at 11. 

I then followed up with Diggs/Tyfreak in the 10 man. My 12 man I ended up with Cooper and Hogan (which I actually hate but I still feel like they have higher upside than the Collins, Freeman, Drake, Miller group).

After you have your backs and receivers slots settled (assuming you play in a 2/2/1 flex league) you can start filling in with some questionable backs with just as much upside as those backs I listed above (Dion Lewis, AP, Hyde, Coleman, Kerryon).

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

My 12 man I ended up with Cooper and Hogan

This is my exact fear when going RB/RB from a late draft slot. I haven't had Diggs or Tyreek fall to the end of the third round in any of my drafts. They've both been gone by pick~28 every time, so I don't feel like there's much chance of getting them near the 3/4 turn.

4 minutes ago, cs3 said:

This is my exact fear when going RB/RB from a late draft slot. I haven't had Diggs or Tyreek fall to the end of the third round in any of my drafts. They've both been gone by pick~28 every time, so I don't feel like there's much chance of getting them near the 3/4 turn.

All depends on your league but it is unlikely. All goes back to who you think has a better chance. I knew what to expect in my 12 man and I expect higher upside from Hogan (Bradys #1) and Cooper (Carrs #1).

Drake: who knows what Gase is going to do and we only have half a season to really analyze for the guy. Gore makes him a question mark. 

Collins: I don't trust an offense led by Noodle Arm Flacco, and Dixon only muddies the water. 

Freeman: I don't know what to expect in this one. You're hoping they give Freeman the reigns and throw him to the dogs, plus you have to hope Keenum is as good as last year, which I believe to be a fluke. 

Miller: he has had enough seasons to prove it and has just looked like a plodder. You just pray he stumbles into the end zone.

Edited by oliminator123

Saquan at No. 4 (0.5 PPR; sticking by this one)

Waiting on Trey Burton (only worked once in three leagues because of rising ADP)

Going high on JAX D in a league where defense is very high scoring. 

grabbing sanders as my wr4 over barber as my rb3.  was hoping barber would make it back to me in the next round, but he didnt.....