nine9s

Ian Thomas 2018 Outlook

Charles, the Keeper of the Waiver Wire TE fodder: "Back so soon? Conner Coming back?"

Me: *sighs* "Yup... what's on sale?"

Charles: "This is your 9th different time on waivers for a TE this season, is everything alright at home?"

Me: "Look Charles, I don't come here for life advice, what do you have on sale?"

Charles: "Well just know that I care for you and the kids. You can have Hooper for the 4th time, or I have this new guy... 

"

Me: "Ugh... he plays the Saints, who haven't given up more than 5 catches to a TE all year and only one double digit game. You got nothing else?"

Charles: "Well Jordan Reed got hurt again, which means Vernon Dav.."

Me (Interrupts frustratingly): "Stop stop stop, I'll take him."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone having any sort of confidence starting him next week? Has he shown enough yet? Asking as a concerned Brate owner that picked up Thomas last week. Saints have been great against TEs this year but you would think Carolina airs it out quite a bit to keep up.

• Like 1

Strange how he has been a major factor recently after being near absent when Olsen was hurt earlier in the season. With Burton as my TE I'm not in a position to be tentative I'm just glad I picked him up last week. 

Dropped burton for him started him he got me 16 and my opponent picked up burton and played his 4 points against me, won my week, ya cool story bro.  But I like his usage he is good after the catch too

2 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Strange how he has been a major factor recently after being near absent when Olsen was hurt earlier in the season. With Burton as my TE I'm not in a position to be tentative I'm just glad I picked him up last week. 

He was a very raw rookie with one year of TE experience and no NFL experience earlier in the year.

He is a raw rookie with one and a half year of TE experience and a little bit NFL experience now.

Honestly, there were multiple reports before his breakout game that he wasn't ready earlier in the season but that he has studied Olsen closely over recent weeks to elevate his game. His usage last week in the game in which Olsen got injured should've been a good indication of things to come. Nobody could expect 11 targets, but his output isn't that surprising at all.

Edited by frog34
  • Thanks 1

Just remember that NO has a highly underrated trio of coverage LBs in A.J. Klein, Alex Anzalone and Demario Davis.  It’s the main reason they’ve fared so well against opposing TEs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Just remember that NO has a highly underrated trio of coverage LBs in A.J. Klein, Alex Anzalone and Demario Davis.  It’s the main reason they’ve fared so well against opposing TEs.

It's true that they did well against TEs. Yet the best defenses are bound to give up points to TEs. Look what Brate did against them. Their focus will and must be on CMC, which can only help the TE. Ian Thomas has shown enough athletic ability to me that he can do damage even on limited touches. He can run away from these guys. A couple of nice catches down the seam could make a solid day in FF. I'm not big on chasing points, but 11 targets with 9 receptions at the crazy TE position are well worth of being chased!

Edited by frog34

2 minutes ago, frog34 said:

It's true that they did well against TEs. Yet the best defenses are bound to give up points to TEs. Look what Brate did against them. Their focus will and must be on CMC, which can only help the TE. Ian Thomas has shown enough athletic ability to me that he can do damage even on limited touches. He can run away from these guys. A couple of nice catches down the seam could make a solid day in FF. I'm not big on chasing points, but 11 targets with 9 receptions at the crazy TE position are well worth of being chased!

He did utterly nothing first time against them - and then scored twice on two receptions.  I just don’t see it as much as I want to believe it as a TE-needy manager.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He did utterly nothing first time against them - and then scored twice on two receptions.  I just don’t see it as much as I want to believe it as a TE-needy manager.

Tough matchup no doubt, but would you rather roll with Burton or Rudolph who sh** bed recently in great matchups? Give me the 9 reception 11 target guy over these guys! And it's not just the numbers. This guy passes the eye test. He is athletic like a younger Olsen. Perfect replacement. I also like the part that he wasn't ready earlier in the season when he was a raw rookie, then began to study Olsen closely and now has 14 receptions in 1.5 games since stepping into Olsen's spot.

I'm taking my chances on this guy. Also these two teams always seem to play high scoring affairs. I could easily see a similar game script like against the Browns where Cam aired it out to Ian Thomas!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Tough matchup no doubt, but would you rather roll with Burton or Rudolph who sh** bed recently in great matchups? Give me the 9 reception 11 target guy over these guys! And it's not just the numbers. This guy passes the eye test. He is athletic like a younger Olsen. Perfect replacement. I also like the part that he wasn't ready earlier in the season when he was a raw rookie, then began to study Olsen closely and now has 14 receptions in 1.5 games since stepping into Olsen's spot.

I'm taking my chances on this guy. Also these two teams always seem to play high scoring affairs. I could easily see a similar game script like against the Browns where Cam aired it out to Ian Thomas!

I may need to take the same chance - I can only hope against hope that I have it wrong.

At least consider Engram (if available) and Davis, ditto.

Edited by BMcP

43 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I may need to take the same chance - I can only hope against hope that I have it wrong.

At least consider Engram (if available) and Davis, ditto.

Engram only if OBJ is out again. Davis with Josh Johnson or Sanchez is too bold for me in the FF playoffs.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I hate point chasing, but pretty hard to ignore the targets and how involved Cam was keeping him.

I am likely to sit Njoku and play the Mon night wild card with IT!

My TE spot has been a total disaster (1 10 pt performance all season) so I'm just gonna have to roll the dice and hope for the best

A couple of teams on the other side of bracket that are TE needy. I’m definitely going to try and pick him up off waivers just to keep the advantage.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:30 AM, next big thing cp84 said:

Charles, the Keeper of the Waiver Wire TE fodder: "Back so soon? Conner Coming back?"

Me: *sighs* "Yup... what's on sale?"

Charles: "This is your 9th different time on waivers for a TE this season, is everything alright at home?"

Me: "Look Charles, I don't come here for life advice, what do you have on sale?"

Charles: "Well just know that I care for you and the kids. You can have Hooper for the 4th time, or I have this new guy... 

"

Me: "Ugh... he plays the Saints, who haven't given up more than 5 catches to a TE all year and only one double digit game. You got nothing else?"

Charles: "Well Jordan Reed got hurt again, which means Vernon Dav.."

Me (Interrupts frustratingly): "Stop stop stop, I'll take him."

Saints just coughed up two house calls to the TE spot. 

With Hooper injured, I'm getting on this as ins. 

Starting over Brate. Kid looks like he has the goods. Lines up all over the place. Split out wide, slot, strong side, H-back and is a willing inline blocker. Can be a seam threat or check down. Could be a shootout Monday Night.

Locked in.

• Like 1

Just a PSA, one of my leagues I've been a TE destroyer.  I put Olsen on IR, immediately picked up Jonnu Smith and he went on IR before he could get me a point.  Now I've picked up Thomas.  I'd just like to apologize in advance for any heartache I may cause.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Just a PSA, one of my leagues I've been a TE destroyer.  I put Olsen on IR, immediately picked up Jonnu Smith and he went on IR before he could get me a point.  Now I've picked up Thomas.  I'd just like to apologize in advance for any heartache I may cause.

I'm just going to call you a hero. Much appreciated! If I survive this week my opponent just picked him up.

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Starting over Brate. Kid looks like he has the goods. Lines up all over the place. Split out wide, slot, strong side, H-back and is a willing inline blocker. Can be a seam threat or check down. Could be a shootout Monday Night.

Locked in.

These are the two I have.  Not sure.

Brate has a lot of weeks were he has 1 or 2 catches for a TD. Really close to a 0

Edited by dmb3684

30 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Change your name to “Dizastro”?

53 minutes ago, whadeeb said:

expecting only 4/40 this week against saints

That's a good expectation. But it's closer to his floor judging from what we've seen so far in his 1.5 games sample size. Unless the Saints decide to let CMC kill em, he will get 4/40 no doubt.

36 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

thats pretty aggressive for a rookie te on primetime?

Is there some stat floating around that shows that rookie TE's under-perform on primetime?