pjbyrne707

Jonnu Smith 2018 Outlook

Just now, pjbyrne707 said:

Walker done for the season. Worth a pick up? 

Depends on Mariota injury for me. Want no part of Gabbert

14 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

Gabbert was the QB in Arizona last year when Ricky Seals-Jones had a few week stretch of fantasy relevance and he brought Vance McDonald to fantasy relevance in San Francisco. He actually targets tight ends at a pretty high rate.

Gabbert targeted the TE position 8 times in week 1 while only throwing the ball 22 times. That means Gabbert targeted the TE on 36% of passing plays. During that time Walker received 5 targets and Smith received 2 (both coming after Walker's injury).

Gabbert downgrades the entire Titan offense but I'm not sure if he downgrades the TE position compared to Mariota.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

Is Gabbert really all that much of a downgrade from Mariota?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, metalmat said:

Right? Walker wasn't doing squat with Mariota in, maybe Gabbert will check down more often.

Edited by noles1983

On 10/09/2018 at 10:55 AM, metalmat said:

Really? Gabbert is awful.

5 hours ago, Evincar said:

Really? Gabbert is awful.

In terms of production for the tight end position and specifically Jonnu Smith; it's probably a boost. 

He needed last year to get up to speed. He basically a more dynamic Walker clone--athletically. He is stepping into a fairly major target share possibility...

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He needed last year to get up to speed. He basically a more dynamic Walker clone--athletically. He is stepping into a fairly major target share possibility...

I agree with this but his route running is not close 2 Walkers.  I picked up him up to replace Walker, just hoping for 10 points per in ppr weekly. I don’t care how it happens. 

Picked him up and will likely drop him immediately if he shows nothing in the 1PM game, but obviously a lot of targets to go around and everyone raves about his athleticism. Certainly rather take a shot on him than someone like Will Dissly (am I spelling that right? I don't even care....). 

My ultimate dream is that he outscores Jared Cook this year, that's all I ask.

• Like 1

Anyone brave enough to start this guy this week? Big risk...decent reward. It's either him or Kyle Rudolph for me. Rudolph is very touchdown dependant.

20 minutes ago, Baldy8 said:

Anyone brave enough to start this guy this week? Big risk...decent reward. It's either him or Kyle Rudolph for me. Rudolph is very touchdown dependant.

I have 2, zero choice. I just hope he plays all the snaps atp and catches 4-5 balls. 

6 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I have 2, zero choice. I just hope he plays all the snaps atp and catches 4-5 balls. 

Yea that's what I'm hoping for too. A td would be a bonus.

41 minutes ago, Baldy8 said:

I’m starting him in my dynasty. Not really brave on my part though considering my only other playable TE is Ricky Seals Jones

I scooped him up but only to see how he'll be used & how Smith does before I get excited. The opportunity is there...

• Like 1

Sure sounds like Mariota is not playing the whole game, and I actually think it might help Smith. Can't look past the fact that they likely have taken a ton of reps together with 2nd team offense.

I might pick him up as a speculative add before game time.  I have a disposable roster spot, and should this guy get 5 or 6 grabs for 60+ yards there could be a market for him with TE being a total wasteland.  Maybe he becomes the icing that makes a deal happen.  Worst case, he's the guy I drop on Thursday should I pick up someone else.

I checked out his draft profile.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jonnu-smith?id=2558207

Seems like his best attributes are receiver related.  His draft comp was Delanie Walker, and he profiled a "Move" TE which means receiver basically.  Snippet below:

Draft Projection

Round 4

NFL Comparison

Delanie Walker

Bottom Line

Athletic tight end with four years of pass-catching production and experience as an in-line blocker. Smith is electric after the catch and has the speed to attack all three levels of the field, but his inconsistent hands could hold him back. Smith's lack of size will likely push him into a "move tight end" role, but he's a more effective blocker in the zone game than many who have been asked to do it on the pro level.