pjbyrne707

Jonnu Smith 2018 Outlook

I thought this guy was supposed to have a decent role? I don't even see an official target in the box score.

I was hoping for a few catches at least in PPR. Terrible. 

Don't you just love when you guess wrong in fantasy football... like, completely wrong.

Had Ebron queued up and was going to drop Jonnu for him, but at the last minute decided not to because I figured Gabbert would panic all day and dump off to the TE which is usually a safety valve. NOPE...

• Like 1

If you started a Titans WR or TE with Blaine Gabbert at QB you must be really desperate in week 2.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Evincar said:

If you started a Titans WR or TE with Blaine Gabbert at QB you must be really desperate in week 2.

I did..and I am

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zero. He scored zero albeit on my pine. 

Come on man. This kid is an athlete, how does he get a goose egg. 

Mariotta is overrated 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Zero. He scored zero albeit on my pine. 

Come on man. This kid is an athlete, how does he get a goose egg. 

Mariotta is overrated 

Mariota wasn't playing...

• Haha 3

I’m guessing being down to your third string right tackle had something to do with it. (I hope). Maybe he was asked to block a ton?? 

All depends on your league settings and how deep the league is. Smith has the starting gig here. He's a super athlete. I'm not getting turned off by his first full start in Week 2 and a whole lot of nothing. Definitely wouldn't want to have to start him in Week 3 with no other better option on your team, but this still looks like a situation to be a little patient with. My two cents anyway. 

Is it time to start considering him as a late season flier for those hurting at the position? Two decent games back to back and the Titans offense finally starting to click. 

A shame that he can't command Delanie's target share, or at least half of it. Jonnu has rare breakaway speed for a TE and is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. I have no doubt that he's in TE1 territory with at least 5 targets per week. Unfortunately he is lucky to even see 3 targets. They keep throwing to Firkser and Stocker, giving the latter a rushing attempt on 4th & 1 and predictably failed.

When you look at Jonnu's numbers over 4 weeks since their bye, he is a TE1 in this dire TE market. Target share still concerning though. After watching him outrun the entire Texans secondary the Titans must find more ways to get him involved.

• Like 1

Debating between him and Everett at the moment.

Agree that the target share is an issue. After that amazing td he mysteriously dissappeared.

How Firkser gets more target than him blows my mind, even though Smith gets a significantly higher snap count per game than both Firkser and Stocker combined. 

3 hours ago, potatoetree said:

Debating between him and Everett at the moment.

Agree that the target share is an issue. After that amazing td he mysteriously dissappeared.

How Firkser gets more target than him blows my mind, even though Smith gets a significantly higher snap count per game than both Firkser and Stocker combined. 

The snap count and Jonnu's explosiveness makes him a solid choice in this TE landscape. There are quite a few available TEs who are more likely to have a 5/40 statline than Jonnu. Those TEs are probably the better choice in PPR. But in standard I'd take Jonnu's speed and big play potential over a toilsome 5/40 day. Scoring a TD in 3 out of 4 games since their bye is a great trend and can't be ignored.

As for Everett, him and Jonnu are basically the same player. Both are athletic move TEs. Everett is in the more explosive offense but playing much less snaps. Jonnu plays the majority of snaps in a middling offense. Both are big play threats and factors in the RZ. Their target share is the same, and so is their floor. Coin toss.

Edited by frog34
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, frog34 said:

The snap count and Jonnu's explosiveness makes him a solid choice in this TE landscape. There are quite a few available TEs who are more likely to have a 5/40 statline than Jonnu. Those TEs are probably the better choice in PPR. But in standard I'd take Jonnu's speed and big play potential over a toilsome 5/40 day. Scoring a TD in 3 out of 4 games since their bye is a great trend and can't be ignored.

As for Everett, him and Jonnu are basically the same player. Both are athletic move TEs. Everett is in the more explosive offense but playing much less snaps. Jonnu plays the majority of snaps in a middling offense. Both are big play threats and factors in the RZ. Their target share is the same, and so is their floor. Coin toss.

Thanks for your analysis. 

I agree with your comparison of Everett and Jonnu, though what makes me hesitant to drop Everett is the fact that he's McVays guy and his snap count might go up over the next few weeks.