WahooManiac

2018 Celebration Thread- Victory is Mine!

Won my home (and only) roto league for the fourth time in ten years, two second place finishes as well. League is now in its 26th season.

Took a completely different strategy this year. Our league has no innings limit or minimum and has generally undervalued non-closing relief pitchers. I didn’t roster a starter all year. Completely punted two categories - wins and innings (which we use instead of K’s) and drafted a dominant offense. Ended up with a perfect 60 possible offensive points and a perfect 38 pitching points - first place in every category outside of the two I punted. 

Took over first place in week three and held it for the remainder of the year. One team (actually my dads) made a late push and was within 1.5 points in the last week. Based on how tie breaker games go the margin could be slightly more or less and I could actually lose a point in WHIP. All said it was fun to come up with a different strategy, execute it and win!

Edited by mudrummer

6 roto league- two 1st place finishes, one 2nd, one 3rd, and two 6th. Special thanks to Christian Yelich for making up for a lot of dumb moves I’ve made along the way (like drafting Greg Bird in all 6 leagues thinking he was good for 35+ hr’s).

In one league, I’ve vented here before about a draft glitch that led me to wind up with Joey Votto instead of my intended pick of JD Martinez, and regretting drafting Kershaw over Scherzer, and dropping Gennett in April. I won the league anyway. Props to Aguilar, Carpenter and Muncy for replacing the power, and Snell for making it up on the pitching side.

• Like 1

Won my 10 team keeper league. League-winning decision was starting Trevor Bauer over Jeremy Jeffress. Won K by 1.

image.png.4cb7010eb89f366de65bfc4b4dd34beb.png

• Like 3

Owner League Venue / Draft Draft Pos Batting Pitching Overall Chg
1 JP CHI John Pausma Main Event #458 Chicago - 3/17 12 PM CT 2 2,410.5 2,130.5 4,541.0 47.5
2 Libros Bradley Libros Main Event #640 Online - 3/27 7 PM ET 3 2,300.5 2,177.0 4,477.5 33.0
3 mitseff jeff mitseff Main Event #643 Online - 3/27 8 PM ET 10 2,247.5 2,227.5 4,475.0 12.0
4 LA Dogos nickolaus sackett Main Event #575 Online - 3/24 1 PM ET 4 2,413.5 1,967.0

2 minutes ago, Got Fleeced? said:
Owner League Venue / Draft Draft Pos Batting Pitching Overall Chg
1 JP CHI John Pausma Main Event #458 Chicago - 3/17 12 PM CT 2 2,410.5 2,130.5 4,541.0 47.5
2 Libros Bradley Libros Main Event #640 Online - 3/27 7 PM ET 3 2,300.5 2,177.0 4,477.5 33.0
3 mitseff jeff mitseff Main Event #643 Online - 3/27 8 PM ET 10 2,247.5 2,227.5 4,475.0 12.0
4 LA Dogos nickolaus sackett Main Event #575 Online - 3/24 1 PM ET 4 2,413.5 1,967.0

The guy in first has it locked up. 125k for 1rst  2nd 35k.  3rd 25k. 

He's up by 2.5 points. My story, Turner and Chavez vs his Nolan, muncy and davis

Edited by Got Fleeced?

Won my head to head. Major contributions came from Voit, Mondesi, Dahl, Lourdes Gurriel. 

Tied for first after today's games! Have to get some great pitching from Buehler and tons of offense against all the other SP, tomorrow to get over the hump.

3rd place ...I will take it, spent first half of season in last place. Top 3 places were all decided on the last day, I had run out of pitcher innings and moves on saturday, 2 lower place teams stole points away from guy I beat out, was hairy and stressful. Thumbs up to waiver pick ups Buehler, Mondesi, Marquez, Leclerq. Correa my worst pick in second round. Khris Davis in round 7 and Bauer in round 14 my best. more big busts were Knebel, Keuchel and Castillo but waiver wire and this great forum saved my butt more than a few times

Edited by blackbeard
  • Like 1

YES! From 6th place to Champ (12 team Roto) in the span of 4 just weeks. A lot of that was through judicious use of innings pitched allowing me to make a furious finish in the W and K columns. But I also have to thank Mr. Luke Voit without whom this championship would not have been possible.

Edited by Router
  • Like 1

Okay, so I know I wrote earlier in the thread, but now my roto league season is over. It was by far my best season ever. In a league that typically comes down to the last few days, I absolutely dominated. I finished with 114.5 points in a 5x5. I outright won six categories (R, BA, W, Sv, K, WHIP) and tied for the lead in another (RBI). I finished 2nd in HR (one behind the leader) and 2nd in ERA (0.02 behind the leader), and 4th in SB. I was so close to winning 9 of the 10 categories, and chasing that is what kept me interested for the last month or so. 

Easily set a new record for points in a season in the eight years this league has existed, and I won my third title. 

• Like 2

I 'shipped in 3 of my 4 leagues this season.

10-team 5x5 Roto Dynasty (Home League)

image.thumb.png.87cedfb789506e427cafba533d9f5c7f.png

This is the league I've played in continuously for the longest, and my 2nd win in 3 years since we reset.  It was pretty much a wire-to-wire win, but until the last few weeks there was always a team within 5 points and close enough in several categories to catch up.  I had to make a lot of offseason and early season moves to make up for some deficiencies after trading away a lot of depth to try to win in 2017.

Key trade: Acquiring Chris Sale (among others) in a blockbuster offseason trade.  My staff coming into the season was Scherzer and a bunch of guys I valued as middling SP2s at best.  Adding Sale gave me a rock-solid tandem to anchor all of the SP categories, and allowed me to take some chances on upside arms throughout the season and not worry too much about mid-rotation fillers.  When a couple of my mid-rotation starters ended up turning into aces (Corbin, Bauer), I basically had too much pitching, and was able to move some of it for help elsewhere.

Key waiver pickups: Mitch Haniger, Miles Mikolas

12-team 5x5 Roto Redraft

image.thumb.png.d8d31918f012fcc3f6f1f7f7eff77ff4.png

I joined this league through the League Finder forum.  I honestly thought I was dead in the water after a couple months in this one, but kept plugging away and managed to cobble together enough points to take the lead in August.  My starting pitching was *dreadful* in this league (my first 5 SP picks were Bumgarner, Paxton, Sonny Gray, Samardzija, and Chase Anderson...) but I hit with a couple of late round picks (Clevinger at 217 Corbin at 241) that at least gave me a strong enough WHIP and K foundation to not have the absolute worst staff in the league.  Fortunately, the offense was strong enough to overcome the pitching deficiency, and I hit on closers in the draft (Jansen and especially Treinen) who gave me saves and helped offset some of the bad ratios from my mix-and-match rotation.

Key draft pick:  Trevor Story at 8.12.

Key trade:  Madison Bumgarner and Jack Flaherty for Christian Yelich and Keone Kela.  Another owner had offense to spare and needed pitching.  I probably needed pitching worse than he did, but Bumgarner was hurt at the time and I figured a bird in hand, etc.  Kela gave me enough saves before he got traded, and of course Yelich was MVP worthy.

Key waiver pickup:  Juan Soto.  This league uses fastest fingers FA pickups, and I was first.  I argued for switching to continuous waivers before the season started to no avail, but in this case, it definitely helped me out that I could just grab the guy without worrying about waiver priority.

15-team 5x5 Roto Redraft

image.thumb.png.096758c3faec0d7bfc4dfe4ec8f521ec.png

This one was my closest finish of the leagues I won, and could have definitely turned out differently if the 2nd place team had better luck with his last few streaming starts.  I maxed out my SP innings a week before the season ended, and just had to watch as he passed me in wins and closed in on WHIP.

Key draft picks:  There was no Story-level profit in this draft, but Scherzer at #9 overall was a lot of profit for a first rounder.  Ozzie Albies at 10.07 (142 overall) and Trevor Bauer at 11.09 (159) worked out nicely as well.

Key trade:  I only made one trade in this league (Albies, Gallo, Teoscar for Judge and Cruz) that looked great on paper and for the first couple of months when Albies was struggling, but ended up being almost a push with Judge getting hurt and Cruz losing steam in the later months.

Key waiver pickup: Juan Soto and Walker Buehler

12-team 5x5 Roto Dynasty (The One That Got Away)

image.thumb.png.6df0dfcd92b04d695f7674987698cf8e.png

Sometimes you're the windshield, but sometimes you're the bug.  In this league, which is made up of veterans of the  RW forums offseason mock drafts from last year, I was the bug.  I finished 6th but it probably should have been much worse given how bad some of my bad draft day calls were.

Won't go into any more detail on this one since this is the celebration thread and I was a big fat loser in this league.  All glory to @kidtwentytwo for a job well done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I thought I was going to get third place. I ended up winning! Thank you Nola, Mikolas, and Anibal Sanchez. Picking up Pederson off waivers in late August helped too.

played in 4 leagues this year.  1 Championship and 3 2nd place finishes of which 2 came down to the final day and came up short.

The 1 league I won was the one I had the least confidence in. This was a 15 team NFCB roto style league.  We drafted in early March and by the time the season started I had 9 players on the DL and 2 80 game suspensions (Jorge Polanco and Jorge Bonafacio).  Ended April in 12th place but each month I gained a point or 2.

Going into the last week I was in 5th place but the Top 5 teams were only seperated by 1.5 points.  Ended up winning by 1/2 point thanks to HRs by JD Martinez and Sterling Marte on the last day which pushed my team OPS over 2 teams but barely as it went to ###### decimals!

• Like 1

Won my wild daily points league on a stat correction 3 days after the season concluded, I had thought I lost until someone actually told me that I won :lol: (C. Rodon got an ER added to his line and it cost him the QS, which was a 4-point swing in my favor)

And then of course my weekly categories league, in which I finished #1 overall, secured the bye, and led the league in every offensive stat... my bats died on me in the playoffs and I finished 4th :( one of the biggest disappointments of my fantasy career

• Like 1

It was terrifying going against Mondesi in the championship. I squeaked out a 6-4 win, but he made it supremely nerve-wracking. I shudder at his mention. 

Mitch Haniger - I love you. The unheralded heart of my team. Ice cold at times, but overall, a great season. 

props to the 2nd place finisher. took over an abandoned, poorly-managed team and built them into a powerhouse. Fortunately for me, his decision to stream heavy and acquire wins/K’s was his downfall. When Cody Allen and Will Smith tried to punt the championship for my team in the last few days, his crappy streamers had sunk the ratios too far. 

I came out of the draft with a pitching staff of Kluber and a bunch of junk. Snuck into playoffs thanks to guys like Wheeler, Kirby Yates, Musgrove (to some extent), and of course, Germany’s finest, German Marquez. 

So happy for Michael Conforto and Luis Castillo. I never stopped believing! Thanks to both. 

I also worship at The Altar of Mookie
  (I am agnostic no more)

Lastly, just want to give a special thanks to Anthony Rendon, the most underrated player in baseball. What a hitter. He has been a key cog in my back-to-back championship teams, both which were built around the philosophy that if you target consistent OBP players, the runs and RBI will follow. I honestly don’t think I lost OBP more than twice all year, and usually had runs wrapped up by the weekend. I’ll continue to deploy this strategy next year, with Rendon again at the help. Thanks for everything, Anthony. You may lack national recognition, but I see you. I see you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I’ll continue to deploy this strategy next year, with Rendon again at the help. Thanks for everything, Anthony. You may lack national recognition, but I see you. I see you. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1st in my main ROTO 5x5 10 team league.  Drafted heavy SP and traded for SP as well. 

Roster:

(C) Perez and Gattis 

1B) Joey Votto

2b) Gleyber Torres 

3b) Matt Chapman 

SS) Marcus Semien

CI) Devers 

Mi) Andrus

5 OF) Springer, KDavis(Trade), Muncy, Benintendi(Trade) , Merrifield 

2 U) Franco , J Turner

9P) Kershaw, Severino, Nola(Trade) G Cole, Paxton, Iglesias, Jefferess, Osuna 

Categories: finished 1st in no categorys and no lower then 5th in any category.

AvG: 5th HR: 2nd RBI: 3rd  Runs: 4th SB: 5th

Wins:2nd    K: 2nd  ERA: 2nd  WHIP: 2nd  S: 5th

Trades: 

I made two deals this season and both were targeting power hitting , since I drafted pitching heavy. 

1) The first deal was around the all star break and KDavis was slumping. 

Gave: Ozzie Albies , Wil Myers, and Jon Lester 

RECEIVED: KDavis and Aaron Nola 

2) The second deal was around the deadline and needed some runs as Springer went down.

Gave: Jacob De Grom

Got: Beinintendi

On 10/1/2018 at 2:34 PM, tonycpsu said:

I 'shipped in 3 of my 4 leagues this season.

10-team 5x5 Roto Dynasty (Home League)

image.thumb.png.87cedfb789506e427cafba533d9f5c7f.png

This is the league I've played in continuously for the longest, and my 2nd win in 3 years since we reset.  It was pretty much a wire-to-wire win, but until the last few weeks there was always a team within 5 points and close enough in several categories to catch up.  I had to make a lot of offseason and early season moves to make up for some deficiencies after trading away a lot of depth to try to win in 2017.

Key trade: Acquiring Chris Sale (among others) in a blockbuster offseason trade.  My staff coming into the season was Scherzer and a bunch of guys I valued as middling SP2s at best.  Adding Sale gave me a rock-solid tandem to anchor all of the SP categories, and allowed me to take some chances on upside arms throughout the season and not worry too much about mid-rotation fillers.  When a couple of my mid-rotation starters ended up turning into aces (Corbin, Bauer), I basically had too much pitching, and was able to move some of it for help elsewhere.

Key waiver pickups: Mitch Haniger, Miles Mikolas

12-team 5x5 Roto Redraft

image.thumb.png.d8d31918f012fcc3f6f1f7f7eff77ff4.png

I joined this league through the League Finder forum.  I honestly thought I was dead in the water after a couple months in this one, but kept plugging away and managed to cobble together enough points to take the lead in August.  My starting pitching was *dreadful* in this league (my first 5 SP picks were Bumgarner, Paxton, Sonny Gray, Samardzija, and Chase Anderson...) but I hit with a couple of late round picks (Clevinger at 217 Corbin at 241) that at least gave me a strong enough WHIP and K foundation to not have the absolute worst staff in the league.  Fortunately, the offense was strong enough to overcome the pitching deficiency, and I hit on closers in the draft (Jansen and especially Treinen) who gave me saves and helped offset some of the bad ratios from my mix-and-match rotation.

Key draft pick:  Trevor Story at 8.12.

Key trade:  Madison Bumgarner and Jack Flaherty for Christian Yelich and Keone Kela.  Another owner had offense to spare and needed pitching.  I probably needed pitching worse than he did, but Bumgarner was hurt at the time and I figured a bird in hand, etc.  Kela gave me enough saves before he got traded, and of course Yelich was MVP worthy.

Key waiver pickup:  Juan Soto.  This league uses fastest fingers FA pickups, and I was first.  I argued for switching to continuous waivers before the season started to no avail, but in this case, it definitely helped me out that I could just grab the guy without worrying about waiver priority.

15-team 5x5 Roto Redraft

image.thumb.png.096758c3faec0d7bfc4dfe4ec8f521ec.png

This one was my closest finish of the leagues I won, and could have definitely turned out differently if the 2nd place team had better luck with his last few streaming starts.  I maxed out my SP innings a week before the season ended, and just had to watch as he passed me in wins and closed in on WHIP.

Key draft picks:  There was no Story-level profit in this draft, but Scherzer at #9 overall was a lot of profit for a first rounder.  Ozzie Albies at 10.07 (142 overall) and Trevor Bauer at 11.09 (159) worked out nicely as well.

Key trade:  I only made one trade in this league (Albies, Gallo, Teoscar for Judge and Cruz) that looked great on paper and for the first couple of months when Albies was struggling, but ended up being almost a push with Judge getting hurt and Cruz losing steam in the later months.

Key waiver pickup: Juan Soto and Walker Buehler

12-team 5x5 Roto Dynasty (The One That Got Away)

image.thumb.png.6df0dfcd92b04d695f7674987698cf8e.png

Sometimes you're the windshield, but sometimes you're the bug.  In this league, which is made up of veterans of the  RW forums offseason mock drafts from last year, I was the bug.  I finished 6th but it probably should have been much worse given how bad some of my bad draft day calls were.

Won't go into any more detail on this one since this is the celebration thread and I was a big fat loser in this league.  All glory to @kidtwentytwo for a job well done!

The 1st league with pitching is what I love to do every year almost . Excellent strategy if done correctly, which starts with multiple elite arms