Boudewijn

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

7 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

It's focal point....

Thats a good point. I will watch my auto correct like a nazi next time.

• Thanks 1

Good luck to those that are attempting to pick him up. I wonder how involved he will be week-to-week. And even if he is more involved how consistent he can be. I've always been enamored but this guy's physical talent, but it has yet to translate to consistent success on the field.

13 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

And of all positions, TE is probably the worst example of trying to find a high PPG play at a discount, due to how shallow the position is.

...completely wrong? Guys pop up every year due to injury that have TD upside (they were already popping up in Week 1). You throw a dart and hope it sticks. There are a ton of people that stream the TE spot.

15 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Good luck if you want to try and roll with someone with "upside" like Eifert.  He's literally played less than 50% of the games since he's been in the league

It appears you're not reading, this is literally my point.

16 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

ridiculously unsustainable TD rate from years ago

He has 20 TDs in 40 games (including 15 games and 2 TDs as a rookie), so you don't seem like an authority on what is and isn't ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

It doesn't matter how 'relevant' you think Patterson was - fact is he had 42 targets that have to go somewhere now.

Yes, Patterson was a guy that happened to be on the field on Sundays. He wasn't a part of Oakland's gameplan, like having a big wideout that can get RZ looks clearly is to car. Those targets will be dispersed elsewhere at random. Cook isn't getting 20 of them. Richard already got about a third of them.

19 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

So I guess either you're really on the Jordy Nelson bandwagon and think he will resurrect his career and finish as a high end WR2

Terrible strawman argument. Those targets that Nelson will essentially absorb from Crabtree weren't even that useful, outside of the TDs. Which yes, I do believe Nelson will get. Are you arguing that Cook will get them? No? Then we're veering off-topic, but I don't think Nelson should have much trouble getting 90 targets and 500 yards in this offense.

21 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

And if you take even 20 or so of those targets and feed them to Cook (seems plausible considering he got 12 last night alone), he goes from borderline TE1 to top-5 TE in a hurry.

You're basically miscalculating targets and saying that Cook is a Top 5 TE because "well, all the TEs were pretty close in points last year!" Nonsensical.

And if you're not arguing about his ending status (news flash, about 15 tight ends have Top 5 potential because "well, all the TEs were pretty close in points last year!") and agreeing that he's on the TE1/TE2 fringe, what are you even arguing about?

Jared Cook was the #12 ranked TE last year and now Crabtree's red zone threat is gone.  Cooper has never been good in the red zone and Jordy was invisible near the goal line.  It's not hard to see Cook's gaining some of Crabtree's targets and redzone looks and finishing in the TE6-TE8 range.  Not bad from the waiver wire.

http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaders?slotCategoryId=6&seasonTotals=true&seasonId=2017

Edited by mmcalli884
Added TE Scoring Link

5 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

Jared Cook was the #12 ranked TE last year

Again, he played in 16 games. That means his per-game value is not as a TE1. If you had Cook last year, started him all season, and were happy getting 4.9 points per week, great. Otherwise this point is moot.

thats it, with olsen/walker out for a signicant time, this guy is gonna destroy FA bidding. 

1 minute ago, saucez said:

thats it, with olsen/walker out for a signicant time, this guy is gonna destroy FA bidding. 

Better off streaming.  The sample on this guy is massive.  Huge game then disappear for a month.  

And Cook finished tied for 14th among TEs in standard. I don't know why people post stats and ranks that aren't from a format that is literally called standard.

Last night Carr only threw 9 of his 40 attempts to actual receivers, I'm assuming it was the Talib & Peters effect. I agree with everyone here that cook should be a solid pickup but I definitely see tonight as an outlier for targets. And yeah his waiver wire bid is going to be massive, people who own Olsen and Walker in my league have already spoke about him.

• Like 1

Just now, MJ10162 said:

And Cook finished tied for 14th among TEs in standard. I don't know why people post stats and ranks that aren't from a format that is literally called standard.

Most people play PPR.  Hate to break it to you.

5 minutes ago, MJ10162 said:

Again, he played in 16 games. That means his per-game value is not as a TE1. If you had Cook last year, started him all season, and were happy getting 4.9 points per week, great. Otherwise this point is moot.

After the top 7, TE's had averages of 5.9, 6.2, 5.4, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.5, 5.1 and Cook was right there at 5.0. So yea, TE19 sucks, but there's a huge group of 8 players that are within .5 points of each other.

Just the nature of the TE position.

Just now, mmcalli884 said:

Most people play PPR.  Hate to break it to you.

No, they really don't.

Just now, tpat30 said:

After the top 7, TE's had averages of 5.9, 6.2, 5.4, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.5, 5.1 and Cook was right there at 5.0. So yea, TE19 sucks, but there's a huge group of 8 players that are within .5 points of each other.

Just the nature of the TE position.

And that's fine if you understand what he is. Nobody should be spending $15-20 on him unless they're completely desperate, and nobody should consider him more than a high-end TE2. Again, of course he can finish as a TE1. There are like 20 guys that can. Some of these arguments in favor of him are just paper thin. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 7 years in a row?

Just now, Zekepeak86 said:

This yr oakland has the second easiest schedule for TEs: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php?position=TE

Yes and the next 4 games are against Ds that struggle against TEs (last year).  Denver just got lit up by a TE that is known for blocking.  He is a very good streamer the next 3 or 4 weeks and you can always try and sell high after that.

1 minute ago, MJ10162 said:

It's been 1 game and you just posted a link to ROS TE strength of schedule.

Look at their schedule bro......I bet if we reference this at week 10, they are still top 5-7

Who was the last TE that was on waivers that turned in a huge year?  I can only remember possibly Gronk his 2nd year and maybe Julius Thomas when Peyton was QB.

Was it Jordan Reed is first year? I thought I scooped him off the WW along with David Johnson! Great year.

6 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Who was the last TE that was on waivers that turned in a huge year?  I can only remember possibly Gronk his 2nd year and maybe Julius Thomas when Peyton was QB.

As much as this board wants to pretend it wasn't the case, Engram was undrafted in most leagues (borderline as he was). Other than that, it's a rare occurrence. 

Feels like he has done this before and then you pick him up and he burns you. If you can get him for cheap its worth the shot though just not gonna spend a lot on him

18 minutes ago, kp96 said:

It happens literally every year. Keep in mind some of the guys listed below were drafted in some leagues but they were on the wire in week 1 in most.

2017:

#4 Engram 

#8 Brate

2016:

#5 Brate

#7 Rudolph

#10 Witten

#11 Henry

2015:

#3 Barnidge

#7 Watson

2014:

#6 Fleener

#8 Kelce

#9 Walker

#11 Donnell

2013:

#3 Thomas

#7 Clay

#10 Bennett

2012:

#4 Miller

#7 Pitta

#8 Daniels

#9 Meyers

• Like 2

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/9/11/17847138/jared-cook-big-game-monday-night-sets-new-raiders-tight-end-single-game-receiving-record

Cook set a new franchise record for most receiving yards in a game by a Raiders tight end finishing the night with 180 yards on nine catches. The previous mark was held by Todd Christensen who recorded 173 yards on November 20, 1986 against the Chargers.

Wade Phillips and the Rams defense made it a point to key on Amari Cooper throughout the game. And the Rams linebacking corps is one of few weak areas on the Rams defense. As a result, Cook found himself in plenty of favorable matchups of which he and quarterback Derek Carr were able to take advantage.

“That’s why Jared [Cook] had a big game,” Carr explained after the game. “We had no problem seeing what they were doing, obviously. It’s not an indication of Amari or anything like that. If the coverage looks a certain way during a certain play, we have other options. That’s why Jared and the running backs came up big than the pass game for us.”

Cook is now just the fifth tight end in the past 20 seasons to record 180 or more receiving yards in a game according to Pro Football Reference.

When asked why he had such a big night, the 10-year veteran reiterated Carr’s statement about the Rams defensive scheme.

“We knew going into the game they were going to play a lot of man [coverage], so we knew we had matchups all across the board,” said Cook. “We planned on [Rams safety Mark] Barron. We had a feeling he was going to be doubtful, but he ended up playing.”

“Obviously Jared [Cook] came up huge tonight and they disguised their coverages,” Gruden told the media postgame. “It allowed us to get the ball to our tight ends and backs. Unfortunately we were not able to get more out of it.”

• Thanks 1