tooalive

Jalen Richard 2018 Outlook

I think I am officially done with trying to apply logic to a bad raiders offense and a coach committed to tanking

• Like 2

Well in PPR his production was pretty much spot-on to what my projections were going to be for him.

Even any close competitive game for most of the day, he ended with a total of 64 total yards and 8 receptions.

additionally in a very crucial part late in the game Doug Martin had a fumble that pretty much cost Oakland any chance of coming back and winning. Jon Gruden may like Doug Martin but I could see him trusting Doug somewhat last after that happened. while we know Richard is not built quite as big he is still stocky at five foot eight and 208 lb. I could see him getting some more series of downs to run with and if he performs well could unseat Martin as someone getting more than 10 touches per game.

I really think he will be at worst a FlexPlay going forward in PPR, and could be RB two rest of season based on usage in the passing game as well.

I am not sure why the negative reactions.  He had 10.40 in my .5ppr league.  Pretty good for a flex.  I dont think anything more was expected. 

• Like 1

In all fairness 99% of rb's would have fumbled the ball after a hammer strike like that.

personally I'm hating this offense with every passing week.

This guy is really good. I don't know if he'll ever get enough work to be more than a PPR flex, but he's great with the ball in his hands.

Richard is the back to own here. Gruden will see it and Martin will get 10 to 12 carries to Richard's 6 to 8 with 6 catches

Carr loves him. Would pivot off his first read and look Richards way often. Was on the field more than Martin once the Raiders were tied or trailing the Colts. 

On pace for 88 (!!) catches. Lack of touchdowns will limit his ceiling, but has a pretty high floor in PPR. 

Edited by Jmiller21kg

2 hours ago, Zangief80 said:

I am not sure why the negative reactions.  He had 10.40 in my .5ppr league.  Pretty good for a flex.  I dont think anything more was expected. 

Agree.  I had to plug him in with Zeke/Gordon on bye and he turned out a decent game.

I definitely think he should be getting a few more touches as he's probably about as explosive as anybody on that offense.  He could handle 6-8 carries and 5-6 catches a game IMO.

Still a RB4 type who will probably never be a high uspide guy....But the kind of guy that should be a decent bye week or desperation play.

And yes...D Martin is not good.  It amazes me how coaches see things sometimes.  I'd rather play a combo of Washington/Richard and park Martin on the bench if it were me.   

High floor flex play in PPR most weeks. Might be hesitant to start him vs the 9ers though, due to potential game flow

3 hours ago, CanaBuc said:

Richard is the back to own here. Gruden will see it and Martin will get 10 to 12 carries to Richard's 6 to 8 with 6 catches

you guys are all talking about dougs fumble / job security and gruden as if they actually want to win

they dont

8 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

you guys are all talking about dougs fumble / job security and gruden as if they actually want to win

they dont

no more deluded sports consumer than people that think coaches actively try to lose games

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

no more deluded sports consumer than people that think coaches actively try to lose games

"the raiders are tanking"

- virtually everyone who writes about the NFL

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

Huge difference between trading away players for picks and coaching your team to lose football games. They're not going to play Doug Martin more because he fumbled, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, miasma16 said:

Huge difference between trading away players for picks and coaching your team to lose football games. They're not going to play Doug Martin more because he fumbled, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's also not what I said.

Troll harder you two.

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

just because they’ve lost a lot of games doesn’t mean they want to lose. Hope you’re being sarcastic

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

I think a distinction must be made between coaches who caoch to lose and coaches who do not actively put their players in the best decision to win.

gruden because he is the HC and he has final say on all personnel transactions  is not putting his team in the best position to win, he is putting his organization in the best position to get high draft capital but his coaching decisions on the field are highly questionable in terms of winning games.

I have yet to see him make an on field adjutment to his offense for them to win games. he seems to be one of those execute coaches meaning the plays will work if the players execute properly so no need to adjust to the defense.

Just now, dashoe said:

I think a distinction must be made between coaches who caoch to lose and coaches who do not actively put their players in the best decision to win.

gruden because he is the HC and he has final say on all personnel transactions  is not putting his team in the best position to win, he is putting his organization in the best position to get high draft capital but his coaching decisions on the field are highly questionable in terms of winning games.

I have yet to see him make an on field adjutment to his offense for them to win games. he seems to be one of those execute coaches meaning the plays will work if the players execute properly so no need to adjust to the defense.

Gruden sucks but that was not what the other poster said. He said a professional coach doesn't want to win games. That's stupid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zangief80 said:

Seriously, its the Raiders, what are the unhappy owners expecting? This was his second best game of the year aside from week 1, very encouraging. Martin is going to be involved in the early down work, Richard on passing downs. This guy is no Cohen or Hunt, he's going to be an 8-12 point flex play. 

Edited by Dexter75

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Hes doing his best to win with the personnel available. That’s not a question. There are always opportunities to criticize a HC’s playcalling but the fact of the matter is we aren’t or never will be a HC in the nfl. It looks to me like players just aren’t sufficiently covering their assignments through 4 quarters. Not an issue with defensive adjustments (you started with offense then said defense, not sure which but the premise is the same)

Edited by oaklandy
  • Like 1

Martin fumbling certainly can't hurt Richard but I doubt Raiders care as much about it as a team that is more focused on immediate results. I don't think we'll ever see full-blown tanking in the NFL like the NBA but I think the Raiders will be the closest thing to it in recent memory. Gruden doesn't actively want to lose games but his recent actions indicate that he is willing to sacrifice wins now (by giving away talented players for draft picks) in order to build a team that can potentially be a dynasty in the future. The front office likely is bought into this long-term plan since they gave Gruden a 10 year deal. He may not be actively sabotaging the team so they get a worse record but he is likely focusing on player development and guys doing the "right thing" or things the way he wants them done rather than doing what might give him the best shot at a win immediately. 

I don't know why expectations were so high on Richard.  His role will remain the same as when Lynch was starting --  a FLEX play in PPR leagues.  Kudos to those who saw past the "expert" hype and picked up Martin instead of Richard.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balthazar said:

I don't know why expectations were so high on Richard.  His role will remain the same as when Lynch was starting --  a FLEX play in PPR leagues.  Kudos to those who saw past the "expert" hype and picked up Martin instead of Richard.

Kudos? In PPR leagues Doug martin’s outlook isn’t looking too hot right now lol. Everyone, including experts, has said Richard is going to be a solid high-floor PPR flex. Idk where you saw people claiming him to be a superstar. Maybe one or 2 people in this thread calling him an RB1/RB2.

in PPR it’s richard>Martin by a LONGSHOT

3 minutes ago, Balthazar said:

Richard had 2 more points than Martin yesterday though lol