Rotoworld.com Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

1 minute ago, pdog109 said:

Winston has been playing for the last 3 years.

You know who else was a #1 pick overall? Jamarcus Russell.

Right, big contract up ahead. Will they give him the big money to eat wins on the sideline?

It's easy to cherry-pick a #1 pick bust from the past.   Also, you can't compare Winston with Russell.  At  least Winston has put up numbers.  I'm also not saying that he isn't going to be a bust.  The fact of the matter is, what I stated in my previous post stands.  They also need to see how he performs with Monken calling the plays who is a vast improvement over Koetter.  

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TonyRomo said:

Right, but Koetter is playing for his job right now. If Fitz doesn't fall on his face against the Bears, even with a loss, and Koetter turns to Winston who loses his 1st game out of the bye.. he's gonna be a lame duck coach.

I don't disagree with that.  He's also probably gettig pressure from the top-end of the organization to play Winston, imo.  We'll see how it plays out after this weekend.  Koetter isn't in an enviable position if you ask me.

24 minutes ago, TonyRomo said:

Right, but Koetter is playing for his job right now. If Fitz doesn't fall on his face against the Bears, even with a loss, and Koetter turns to Winston who loses his 1st game out of the bye.. he's gonna be a lame duck coach.

And if koetter sticks with Fitz and Fitz loses the next couple of games and finishes 2-4 and then he gives the job to Winston who looks great an they go 6-4 but they miss the playoffs because koetter stuck with a journeyman QB a few weeks too long he looks like a fool and gets fired. 

1 hour ago, pdog109 said:

Winston has been playing for the last 3 years.

You know who else was a #1 pick overall? Jamarcus Russell.

Right, big contract up ahead. Will they give him the big money to eat wins on the sideline?

Jamarcus is one of the biggest total busts in NFL history, Jameis is nowhere close to that ineptitude. The fact QBs don't grow on trees means the organization will undoubtedly have Winston playing at some point.  The only way that doesn't happen is if the Bucs continue to win and are contenders for a playoff seed, which is unlikely.

49 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

And if koetter sticks with Fitz and Fitz loses the next couple of games and finishes 2-4 and then he gives the job to Winston who looks great an they go 6-4 but they miss the playoffs because koetter stuck with a journeyman QB a few weeks too long he looks like a fool and gets fired. 

Oh brother, dude leads the entire NFL in passing yards and has a winning record. Nobody would sit him right now. Do some of you guys own Winston and not Fitz on here or something?

11 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Oh brother, dude leads the entire NFL in passing yards and has a winning record. Nobody would sit him right now. Do some of you guys own Winston and not Fitz on here or something?

Can Fitz owners read?

Did I say he should be benched this week?

It's his job for as long as he plays well. Despite his fantasy numbers last week, the coaches couldn't have liked his 3 ints and pick 6. If he has a repeat performance and they lose, he's done after the bye (even if it comes with 400 yards passing). If he plays well and they keep winning he'll keep the job. Pretty simple to understand.... For most of us at least.

I don't get the concern. You got the #1 QB likely off waivers this dude has already more than paid his dues (assuming you didn't spend your whole FAAB on him which would've been extremely shortsighted). Even if he gets yanked mid-game he'll still be a net-positive for your team (assuming this isn't the first week you started him, if it took you until now to start him you probably don't trust him/don't need him and shouldn't start him now). It has been a fun and unexpected ride and it may not be over yet. 

Luckily, if he does completely faceplant against the Bears next week is his BYE so you should've already had plans for starting another QB. Additionally, if Winston is unowned he could slip under the radar during his BYE and you can likely add him for free since if Fitz does really struggle then the BYE is a perfect time to transition to Winston. 

This is a Fitz thread, so posters MUST remember that the ones most likely posting in here are guys who are emotionally invested. They have been riding high for three weeks and DON'T want to see the magic end, let alone listen to people tell them this is all a mirage. So I will back off a bit and let nature take its course. Is there a chance Fitz plays all season long while the young franchise guy rides the bench and enjoys the success with a clipboard and a smile? Absolutely. There is also a chance I win the lottery on Tuesday. Anything can happen so there is hope, I guess.

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

This is a Fitz thread, so posters MUST remember that the ones most likely posting in here are guys who are emotionally invested. They have been riding high for three weeks and DON'T want to see the magic end, let alone listen to people tell them this is all a mirage. So I will back off a bit and let nature take its course. Is there a chance Fitz plays all season long while the young franchise guy rides the bench and enjoys the success with a clipboard and a smile? Absolutely. There is also a chance I win the lottery on Tuesday. Anything can happen so there is hope, I guess.

except Winston isn't the franchise guy. The Bucs have wanted him to be for years but he's often been a mediocre QB at best and has been involved in one PR nightmare after another. You all keep looking at it like the Bucs want any excuse to run him out there and then give him a HUGE multi-year contract. If you're the Bucs why exactly do you want to do that? Do you really want to tie yourself financially for the next 4-5 seasons to a mediocre qb who won't stop ******** up in very public ways?

2 hours ago, KRB80 said:

I don't disagree with that.  He's also probably gettig pressure from the top-end of the organization to play Winston, imo.  We'll see how it plays out after this weekend.  Koetter isn't in an enviable position if you ask me.

There is absolutely no basis for this statement

From all indications the players and coaches really like Fitzmagic and like playing with him. It would be strange (and unrealistic) for the front office to be pressuring the coaches to bench the QB who is playing better than Winston ever has, who his teammates really like, who the coaches actually like, who is not 21 million dollars next year (they can cut Winston next year & save that money, btw), who does not grope women, who does not rape women, allegedly, who does not steal crab legs from grocery stores, who does not, in general, act like a 13 year old...

Which quarterback would you rather play for? Coach? Have as the face of your franchise? Because when it comes down to it, that's what the quarterback is in the NFL.

There's about zero chance the ownership, front office, etc are pressuring the coaches to bench Fitzpatrick.

And if Fitz starts sucking the "organization" won't have to pressure Koetter because he will bench Fitz himself. Koetter is coaching for his job. Been over this so many times. This is simple s---. Stop over-complicating it. Koetter needs to win games to stay employed. He does not give a s--- about Tampa Bay Bucs 2019 or Jameis Winston's feelings

I must have missed the memo on Winston being a franchise QB. Dude is turrible. And I also think possibly mildly retarded. People acting like Fitzpatrick is some kind of Tebow joke. Dude has a 90 career QB rating and 60% completion percentage. And that’s with mostly god awful teams. He’s never had a line or weapons like this before or played this well. Obviously this Bears game is tough, but he has nothing to lose and everyone doubting him.

5 hours ago, Saints-bcooking said:

So back on topic here. Is fitz ganna light up the score board against the vaunted Chicago defense r will he be running for his life the whole game. Just wondering cuz I have him starting ahead of Watson lmao

Your guess is as good as anyone’s. He was supposed to be slaughtered by the Saints and Eagles and went off. Then he was supposed to kill a woeful Steelers D and got picked 3 times. When he has plenty of time, he can do miraculous things. But when in his face, he gets happy feet and scared, and can throw Rex Grossman ducks of bad decision. There’s maybe never been a more contrasting  player at the position in NFL history. Which is why he’s lasted so long. Like I said before, they’ll have to double, even triple chip block Mack and hope the rest of the line holds well. But receivers should be open. Most of the Bears secondary is 2nd string this week...

18 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Ian Rappaport is reporting that Koetter told his team in a meeting this week that he was a few plays away from pulling Fitz vs the Steelers for Ryan Griffin. 

Its not surprising with 3 1st half picks, but would have been extremely dumb and naive. All 3 of those picks were unlucky at best. He was rushed hard and he shouldn’t have thrown the ball true, but the first was tipped, the second a miscommunication, and the third his arm is hit. Regardless, it still wasn’t enough to bring in Winston this week. Nothing really changes here for me honestly this week.

35 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Ian Rappaport is reporting that Koetter told his team in a meeting this week that he was a few plays away from pulling Fitz vs the Steelers for Ryan Griffin. 

Wow my luck really sucks.  Was playing against Fitz and lost by a point.  

Just goes to show how much of a clown coach Koetter is.  Guy wins back to back player of the week awards and your gonna bench him because of two batted ints and Evans giving up on a route.  Not saying Fitz was playing good first half but it wasn't all on him.

7 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Wow my luck really sucks.  Was playing against Fitz and lost by a point.  

Just goes to show how much of a clown coach Koetter is.  Guy wins back to back player of the week awards and your gonna bench him because of two batted ints and Evans giving up on a route.  Not saying Fitz was playing good first half but it wasn't all on him.

It wasn’t. I watched all 3 games and the offensive line play was the best in the league the first two games, and in that first half last week got REALLY leaky to put it lightly (especially on blitz pickups). That can’t happen with Fitz. Obviously this week is even scarier with Mack being an absolute freak so far this year. But I have Mariota and Beathard, so I’m obviously rolling with Fitz again.

Fitz is 35, going on 36, definitely not a franchise qb. Winston MIGHT be a franchise qb. Despite how well fitz has played, the bucs ain't winning it all this year. Therefore, priority 1 for them has to be to find out if winston is a franchise qb or not. Unless fitz torches the bears this week, I'm fully expecting winston in week 6. Even an ok game from fitz, and its winston week 6. Fitz has been fun while it lasted, but the end is nigh

10 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Fitz is 35, going on 36, definitely not a franchise qb. Winston MIGHT be a franchise qb. Despite how well fitz has played, the bucs ain't winning it all this year. Therefore, priority 1 for them has to be to find out if winston is a franchise qb or not. Unless fitz torches the bears this week, I'm fully expecting winston in week 6. Even an ok game from fitz, and its winston week 6. Fitz has been fun while it lasted, but the end is nigh

Even if he leads the league in passing yards and QBR after 4 weeks and plays mediocre this week? Winston had 3 years to show something. Coaches play for this year, not 3 years from now. I’d love to see Ryan Griffin put up 400 yards on the Steelers lmao Koetter is gonna lose his team with comments like that

Archived