dboong

Shai-Gilgeous Alexander 2018-19 season outlook

I wish Doc would just play him. He offers so much more upside than Beverly. I’ve watched the games. 

I’m not a coach, I don’t see practices, but I don’t get why coaches feel they have to hold back rookies or “pet” them. Let the best guy play. If it’s a 2 week rookie or 15 year vet, loyalty, seniority, should not come into play. Just my thoughts. 

Its all all over the NBA. 

6 minutes ago, sham242 said:

I wish Doc would just play him. He offers so much more upside than Beverly. I’ve watched the games. 

I’m not a coach, I don’t see practices, but I don’t get why coaches feel they have to hold back rookies or “pet” them. Let the best guy play. If it’s a 2 week rookie or 15 year vet, loyalty, seniority, should not come into play. Just my thoughts. 

The question is, do you believe SGA is significantly better than Beverly, on the court?The answer to that is no. Unless playoffs are out of the question, there is no need to disturb the lockeroom vibe by usurping a vet by a rookie, that at this point, is marginally better on the court. 

And this coming from an SGA buyer and owner.

1 hour ago, sham242 said:

Logically it would make sense to give the keys to SGA but the reality is these people are humans and not video game characters. These dudes have egos that need to be stroked, otherwise there would be a mutiny. 

39 minutes ago, tremixt said:

The question is, do you believe SGA is significantly better than Beverly, on the court?The answer to that is no. Unless playoffs are out of the question, there is no need to disturb the lockeroom vibe by usurping a vet by a rookie, that at this point, is marginally better on the court. 

And this coming from an SGA buyer and owner.

We're talking Beverly, not some established superstar that's having a rough start. 

I remember the Jazz brought Mitchell along slowly last year, played behind an established vet in Hood and eventually it was clear who was a better player. I think we are going to get to that point in LA. I don't think SGA has the same offensive ability as Mitchell, obviously, but he is a dynamic talent.

I don't even own SGA (wish I did), but Beverly seems more like the kind of guy that could start for a team with an elite offense. The Clippers are starting Gortat/Beverly/Bradley. 3 guys who are limited in their scoring ability. 

I picked him up for my soft punt assists team (there's 3 other teams punting assists). He fits nicely with my core of Kawhi/PG/Gobert/Bledsoe/Gary Harris/Otto/Vucevic/Levert

If he's putting up 8/3/3 with a steal on decent percentages, is expecting him to finish the year with 12/5/5/1 realistic? 

My point was not even from a fantasy perspective. Just watching the games. I think SGA has a chance to be better than Beverly from what I’ve watched given the opportunity. I think he’s better than Beverly. Beverly fits perfectly on a team like the Rockets because Harden is the main ball handler. He doesn’t orchestrate the offense and I see plenty of that potential in SGA. Besides Harris and Galo, there is no offense. I could see if SGA was even a liability on defense but he’s not. 

I understand egos and I’m quite aware real NBA is a video game but I thought it’s about wins and losses. Doc is a HOF coach so obviously he knows more than me. I wish he would let him start. Not even because of my fantasy team or I’m a fan of the Clippers, but because I’m a fan of basketball. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Royloi said:

I picked him up for my soft punt assists team (there's 3 other teams punting assists). He fits nicely with my core of Kawhi/PG/Gobert/Bledsoe/Gary Harris/Otto/Vucevic/Levert

That roster.. how many people are in your league? There has to be dudes on the WW thats better than him..

How long are we holding for? Pat Bev is barely an NBA starting PG but our boy Shai is hardly knocking on the door with his performances.

Just dropped him today, reluctantly for Robinson.  If I were cruising along, I would hold and see but carving out 25 minutes + on a nightly basis is going to take some time.  I've been watching all the games and yes he is a solid player, but by no means is he out playing Bev by any large margin.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, socal.trades714@yahoo.com said:

Just dropped him today, reluctantly for Robinson.  If I were cruising along, I would hold and see but carving out 25 minutes + on a nightly basis is going to take some time.  I've been watching all the games and yes he is a solid player, but by no means is he out playing Bev by any large margin.  

Yeah I'll have to dump him to try and win my match up this week. It's a shame because I think we all know he should be a productive asset in the long-term.

7 hours ago, flat_eric said:

Yeah I'll have to dump him to try and win my match up this week. It's a shame because I think we all know he should be a productive asset in the long-term.

Yeah it's definitely tough.  This reminds me of Donovan Mitchell last season.  I did pick him up early, however, he didn't get into his groove until later and by that time, someone had already scooped him up.  Sucks.  Yeah, it's a long season and all, however, there is a fine line between being patient and being stubborn.  :)  I haven't found that line... I'm just stubborn!

• Like 2

If you are looking for immediate payoff from him now, I think that's silly. If you have him now, you are making an investment. He looks like he could be a good point guard. If history is likely to repeat, Beverley and Gallinari will get hurt, the Clippers will fall out of playoff picture and the kid will get a lot more consistent playing time. Figuring they'll probably try to trade some of these guys out also, so they got to play them to build some value in them.

He'll continue to be stashed on my bench until further notice. Upside is too great.

2 hours ago, dfstout said:

Im gonna hold until after Mondays game...and then assess...the SaGA continues...:ph34r:

aaahhahha nice1 :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not comparing SGA to Donovan Mitchell in terms of skill, but how long did it take before Mitchell took the starting gig?

On 11/4/2018 at 12:22 AM, tazdingo said:

I’m not comparing SGA to Donovan Mitchell in terms of skill, but how long did it take before Mitchell took the starting gig?

Week 3 I believe

I held for 2 weeks. Dropped for Dinwiddie who was on the waiver, now he’s starting. ??‍♂️

Fantasy is cruel. Lol

26 minutes ago, sham242 said:

I held for 2 weeks. Dropped for Dinwiddie who was on the waiver, now he’s starting. ??‍♂️

Fantasy is cruel. Lol

After holding on to SGA the whole season...I dropped him late last week. And picked him back up last night because why not.

Fantasy can be cruel...yet also forgiving. ?

• Haha 2

Undeniable talent always triumphs over logjams. Doc Rivers being a solid coach was also the reason I've held from the beginning. 

No concern about Bradley's return. SGA should stick after tonight.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Thanks 1

Trial by fire tonight. I've been watching him play and he's really good. Let's see how he does when it's finally primetime. 

So difficult to make a decision here with regards to picking him up or waiting - namely:

a) How long is Bradley out for?

b ) Who is running the point, him or Pat Bev?

c) Can he shoot 3's?!

as a Pat Bev owner, and Pat Bev being the only person i can drop - i'll be watching this game closely!