Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chillychill

Who are the safest Top-Heavy players in an Auction draft?

So this year I've considered going top heavy in my 200$ auction. Often I do the value middle round only guys strategy, but I really want to risk it for fun this year. 

There's a very strong chance I can get 2 top tier players and even a tier 2/3 player that complements them as well. Assuming I go with this strategy, what players in that top 10 range do you feel are the safest pick ups in terms of building around them and health. Here are some proposed ideas i've though about

1. Guards (Curry, Harden, x) x being another strong 20-40+$ player

2. Bigs (Giannis, Davis, x)

3. Just good (Davis, KD, x) or (KD, Giannis, x)

4. Lower-tier top-10s (Jokic, Westbrook, Lilard)

I feel like I can find enough value later in the draft/post-draft and I can get 2, and maybe even 3 in some wild case, of these top players.

So in your experiences, which of the top boys are the safest, and complement each other the best in terms of stats/building around them with risks.

If you're going "just good", grab Harden and AD. They're most likely to be the top 2 by the end of the year

This year will be my first auction draft, so I'm far from a strategy expert. As far a durability goes though, you're sturdiest, least-DNP-inclined targets are going to be Harden, Towns, Giannis, Jokic, and Lillard. AD is on the cusp, one more season of 75+ games and we can probably drop the "injury prone" concerns. And his upside is worth gambling on it this season.

As far as going big on top-tier guys and having a weird, fun romp of a season, if I were doing that I'd be punting at least one category to help me pare down my options and plan. If you're really planning to fill in with uber-cheap late-in-the-draft or waiver guys, I think you're going to find more serviceable guards and wings. Early draft results certainly seem to have the useful or buzzy big guys disappearing earlier and earlier. Genuine assist guys will get over-priced too. Easier to find threes and points late. 

Maybe punt assists and go double-big and then round the top three out with an elite scorer/shooter/steals guy. If you're gonna do it, do it and spend the money on AD, maybe Giannis, and hope you can still land like a Paul George or Kyrie. Might be worth a gamble on trying to get Kawhi for a discount too, still have some money in your coffers as the draft goes on.

I don't know if I understood your question properly. But from what I got out of it, you're asking who to draft if you wanna go top heavy. I'd go:

Harden

AD( depends if you want to gamble since he has the injury prone label)

Lebron (He will defs win MVP this year)

Giannis

Westbrook

they will all put up monster numbers !!

thanks for mine :) 

Giannis, Lebron, Simmons and a slew of punt FT bigs Howard, Jordan, Adams, Nurkic etc and thank me later.

13 hours ago, turner46 said:

Giannis, Lebron, Simmons and a slew of punt FT bigs Howard, Jordan, Adams, Nurkic etc and thank me later.

I really like this plan, what other guys are you targeting with this kind of strategy? I'm in a league with a lot of Laker homers so perhaps LBJ wont be as price-accessible as usual. I'd have to assume Westbrook could replace him.

Are you punting 3s & FT%?

4 hours ago, chillychill said:

I really like this plan, what other guys are you targeting with this kind of strategy? I'm in a league with a lot of Laker homers so perhaps LBJ wont be as price-accessible as usual. I'd have to assume Westbrook could replace him.

Westbrook would be fine if Lebron costs too much.

Yeah the double punt, off the top of my head Julius Randle, Kris Dunn, Larry Nance Jr etc... Then your SG should be players you stream but if you can grab say a Wiggins or Hezonja off the top of my head go for it. Pts and steals and steaming is what I would look for from SG. DWade could be a great cheap target. I'll look closer hopefully tonight or later this weekend at more targets and also pay attention price wise.

4 hours ago, chillychill said:

The Giannis, Lebron, Simmons start appears harder then I thought. I would lock up Giannis and Simmons and then see if you can fit Lebron in or Westbrook or Wall or Jokic, Bledsoe or Holiday would work good too etc...

Now the rest of my targets are Howard, Whiteside, Adams, Nance, Nurkic, Randle as punt FT bigs and then Dunn, RHJ, Lonzo, Rondo, Payton, KAnderson. Your FG, rebounds and blocks will be unbeatable and your steals and assists will be pretty close to unbeatable so last picks target pts, with assists and or steals as 2nd category and save a spot or 2 for streaming, and many weeks you'll win with ease so start your streaming early for next week by adding someone who plays Monday and Tuesday for example while not counting as a move for that week.

lbj westbrook simmons

punt 3's, ft%, t/o,

that should be around 150 bucks

gets some punt ft bigs

wcs and payton late for cheap assists, steals fg% ect. both top 50 players, not bad for under 5 bucks combined

dunns also mid/cheap option 

wiggins for points

just not sure how this team would be in points

Thanks for your help on my question... Don't know much about auction leagues TBH, but I find Towns is always a safe bet because of his durability.

I like AD, Jokic and KAT a lot this year. Very safe and no punts. So one of them for sure just to get a top stud big. I like Greek Freak but he'll cost you. Lillard would pair great with anyone of these guys.