chimera

John Wall 2018-2019 Season Outlook

On 30/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, XNW said:

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/12/29/reports-john-wall-considering-surgery-heel

Edit: Wizards say John Wall will have season-ending heel surgery

So they have said he is having the surgery, but I would love to know if he’s actually gone under the knife yet? Knowing my luck he will change him mind, only for another manager to swipe him off waivers.

10 hours ago, Pendles said:

So they have said he is having the surgery, but I would love to know if he’s actually gone under the knife yet? Knowing my luck he will change him mind, only for another manager to swipe him off waivers.

He already had surgery

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/sports/nba/wizards-john-wall-has-heel-surgery/65-3975a603-51b5-4c3a-830a-885c7ab89add

• Thanks 1

Just now, stay_woke said:

His contract will go down as possibly the worst in nba history and could rival the pujols contract.

Pujols is a first ballot HOFer and likely top 10-15 player of all time.

• Like 1

Just now, HotSauce24 said:

Pujols is a first ballot HOFer and likely top 10-15 player of all time.

I never said he wasn't. Still the worst contract in the history of mlb (and maybe all American sports). I'm an angels fan unfortunately just trust me on this one if you don't follow baseball.

• Like 1

Idgaf about baseball but Wall’s contract is probably the worst in the NBA.  

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

His contract will go down as possibly the worst in nba history and could rival the pujols contract.

Which is sad because I have lived through Allan Houston contract and Joe Johnson, and now this just takes the cake.

• Like 1

I feel for the guy. Ya, he already got paid, but this is probably the end of him as a decent player. Can't feel good. He'll be 30 when he comes back and his game is super dependent on athleticism. 

I wonder if this changes the Wizards approach to keeping Beal or Porter. It should. Assuming Wall is done as a borderline All-Star level player, they'll basically be trying to win with 65% of the cap for the next four years. They'd be crazy not to blow it up and go all-in on the tank.

24 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Its not like he wanted to get hurt.  The guy was an All Star.....

Really does suck for Wall. But holy s**t that contract is going to absolutely cripple the Wizards for the next 4 years. A 30+ year old injury-prone PG completely reliant on his speed and athleticism coming back from a crippling, career-threatening injury making almost $50M a year...my goodness. This has to be one of the worst contracts in the history of sports.

If I’m the Wizards I blow this team up. I’ll try to see if anybody will take a chance on Wall like Dallas is taking a chance on Porzingis (hella doubtful with that contract) and build around Beal/Ariza/Porter. Otherwise, trade away Beal and Porter for picks and younger pieces, probably have to buyout Dwight (forgot the length of his contract) and let Ariza walk.

14 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Its not like he wanted to get hurt.  The guy was an All Star.....

Most reports said he came into camp overweight and in poor shape. And then the reports that he was clubbing in DC more than he should. And now he 'slipped at home' and ruptured his Achilles. At some point maybe he should put more effort into taking care of himself and prolonging his career.

40 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

This is Gilbert Arenas 2.0, but for even more money.  Hopefully they will be able to do what they did in that situation and trade him for somewhat less bad contract.

The worst contract in NBA history for me though is Chandler Parsons.  

12 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Most reports said he came into camp overweight and in poor shape. And then the reports that he was clubbing in DC more than he should. And now he 'slipped at home' and ruptured his Achilles. At some point maybe he should put more effort into taking care of himself and prolonging his career.

If its not fake news, sure.

Done. For. Life.

Gonna enjoy those fat paychecks from here on out. Not even trying to play b-ball anymore.

Yeah, this is really bad for the NBA.  It was good having a competitive, albeit not truly a contending team, in Washington.  2019-20 is probably done.  If he comes back, in 2020-2021 he will still be working his way back.  His game will never be the same.  Rudy, Wes, others with similar injuries have all had to work hard just to get back much less back to their former level.  Boogie might be the exception, although severity of each player's injury might have been different.

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, this is really bad for the NBA.  It was good having a competitive, albeit not truly a contending team, in Washington.  2019-20 is probably done.  If he comes back, in 2020-2021 he will still be working his way back.  His game will never be the same.  Rudy, Wes, others with similar injuries have all had to work hard just to get back much less back to their former level.  Boogie might be the exception, although severity of each player's injury might have been different.

John Wall had the injury one year later than Boogie... This doc says that in general you should only be able to evaluate whether someone "made it back or not" after 1-2 seasons of playing (4:35 onwards, dude recaps his main points). Gay was three years older (30) than Boogie (27) when he had his injury, but he has managed to bounce back decently (2 years removed from the injury). But he's playing pretty well at a slower pace and close to the basket. Decent shooter as well.

For a guy like John Wall... A guard who was relying on his speed, and not known for his shot... Doesn't sound promising. More like that dude should reinvent himself. That said, you also had the outlier in Wilkins. Old, and known for his athleticism.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

You’d think that the wizards would have learned from Gilbert Arenas but nope they gave it to wall again and he has been having knee surgeries. I just don’t understand ?!!!??

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Idgaf about baseball but Wall’s contract is probably the worst in the NBA.  

As a Wizard fan, this sucks. This core had one good season where they advanced and was like 4-5 years ago when Ariza played with then. Not a Wall fan by any stretch though. 

• Like 1