Sign in to follow this  
hard1

Elijah McGuire 2018 Outlook

13 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Yeah, I am just curious if he has been the preferred Red Zone back in general.  Crow went out early in that game, I think the Jets had some chances in the Red Zone.  

How has Houston's D been on the road?  Feels like McGuise isnt oozing with upside but he might be slightly better than a TD or bust guy who could still get us a TD to provide his upside.  

It doesn't look like they had a preference last game.  Started with McGuire but he got stuffed near the goalline and they kicked a field goal.  The next series, they started on the Buffalo 8 and Cannon ran it in on 2nd and 4.   But they went back to McGuire later and he got a short TD.

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

It doesn't look like they had a preference last game.  Started with McGuire but he got stuffed near the goalline and they kicked a field goal.  The next series, they started on the Buffalo 8 and Cannon ran it in on 2nd and 4.   But they went back to McGuire later and he got a short TD.

Well I guess good news for Elijah hopefuls is this is basically a 2 RB backfield where our guy is the 'seasoned' vet being his second season and the other guy is a late round rookie.  Also I believe McGuire was maybe even thought to be the starter coming into the year before his injury so the organization probably wants to see what he can do as the season winds down.  20 touches last week very hard to ignore, very lucky to scoop up that kind of potential off waivers.  Considering him strongly this week over tougher matchup RBs like Mack and Drake. 

4 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Well I guess good news for Elijah hopefuls is this is basically a 2 RB backfield where our guy is the 'seasoned' vet being his second season and the other guy is a late round rookie.  Also I believe McGuire was maybe even thought to be the starter coming into the year before his injury so the organization probably wants to see what he can do as the season winds down.  20 touches last week very hard to ignore, very lucky to scoop up that kind of potential off waivers.  Considering him strongly this week over tougher matchup RBs like Mack and Drake. 

That's true...there was some buzz going into the season about him.   I think I would definitely start him over Mack and Drake.   I'm trying to decide about flexing him over Coleman or Michele.   I started Williams last night and felt good about the opportunity.   But I'm not getting the same feeling with McGuire.   Almost like I'd be pushing my luck.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KCJONES said:

Is it crazy to be thinking of starting this guy over Carson in PPR?

Given how well Carson has done the last 4 games and given the matchup, yes I would define that as crazy.

• Like 1

Houston shut down Dion Lewis to the tune of 7 rushes for 8 yards and 7 receptions for 33 yards.  That was in Houston, but might be what to expect from Mcguire's output  with about 20 run yards added & minus about 3 receptions to Cannon.

Edited by Red Dog

11 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That's true...there was some buzz going into the season about him.   I think I would definitely start him over Mack and Drake.   I'm trying to decide about flexing him over Coleman or Michele.   I started Williams last night and felt good about the opportunity.   But I'm not getting the same feeling with McGuire.   Almost like I'd be pushing my luck.  

It's Sony/Henry for me, but kinda feel the same. Will probably role out more certain things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

It's Sony/Henry for me, but kinda feel the same. Will probably role out more certain things.

this will sound crazy but my other flex option is Mike Evans who I'm trying to get away from.    I'm worried about a 3 for 50 from him.  

I originally scooped up Williams, McGuire, and Dixon to start at my RB2 over Coleman/Michele.   But with Crowell being out, I'm looking really hard at McGuire to flex.
But I don't think I'll get there.   I think he's probably got the same floor as Evans but none of the upside.  

The Jets are a dumpster fire, I guess that's why I feel Dixon is the better play this week.  Dixion will get most of the red zone looks vs a bad TB defense.  While Mcguire has a tough match up and may end up splitting touches at closer to the 50% rate the Jets have used most of the season because that is what Boles believes in.

Edited by Red Dog

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

this will sound crazy but my other flex option is Mike Evans who I'm trying to get away from.    I'm worried about a 3 for 50 from him.  

I originally scooped up Williams, McGuire, and Dixon to start at my RB2 over Coleman/Michele.   But with Crowell being out, I'm looking really hard at McGuire to flex.
But I don't think I'll get there.   I think he's probably got the same floor as Evans but none of the upside.  

I already talked about Evans in his thread.

But the gist of it is you don't sit Mike Evans. Good luck though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I already talked about Evans in his thread.

But the gist of it is you don't sit Mike Evans. Good luck though.

Yeah...I know...it goes against start your studs.  Which I usually adhere to.

Anyway...we'll see.    At least I've talked myself out of McGuire I think.  

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Houston shut down Dion Lewis to the tune of 7 rushes for 8 yards and 7 receptions for 33 yards.  That was in Houston, but might be what to expect from Mcguire's output  with about 20 run yards added & minus about 3 receptions to Cannon.

Honestly I wouldnt be appalled by getting 7 catches and 40 yards out of him to squeak out 8 pts lol 

Quincey Ennuwa was ruled out so that is less targets for Darnold, I have some slight confidence that since this is a national tv game spot, the Jets maybe won't completely s--- the bed at home.  They were really good MNF season opener. 

Houston hasn’t given up more than 38 yards rushing in the last 3 games. I understand the touches will be there but u can’t feel confident. I would take Dixon and any of the broncos wrs over him. My 2 cents 

Just now, floppy said:

Houston hasn’t given up more than 38 yards rushing in the last 3 games. I understand the touches will be there but u can’t feel confident. I would take Dixon and any of the broncos wrs over him. My 2 cents 

Broncos WRs over him??? Cmon lol 

Id be plenty happy with 17 carries 45 yards rushing 1 TD 4 catches 32 yards

10 minutes ago, floppy said:

I don’t blame you, Courtland Sutton is on a heater. So hot right now. 🔥

1 hour ago, KCJONES said:

Is it crazy to be thinking of starting this guy over Carson in PPR?

Here's my take on the situation.  If you have McGuire and another RB who has a guaranteed workload (Mack, Carson, etc.) you go with the proven guy.  If you have McGuire and have a RBBC guy whose production is dependent on usage (Drake, Ingram, etc.) you go with McGuire.  Again, this is just my opinion but I'd rather know my option is going to touch the ball 15-20 times than hope the 7-12 touches my other guy gets make a big difference.

Man the struggle in this thread. And I’m right there with y’all. I’m tempted (over Aaron Jones at CHI). But I just can’t. I’ve seen this book before. Start lesser known guy, that’s RW hyped, due to opportunity caused by injury, on a lousy team. 9/10 times it doesn’t work out. D. Thomas and Sutton come to mind.

1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

The Jets are a dumpster fire, I guess that's why I feel Dixon is the better play this week.  Dixion will get most of the red zone looks vs a bad TB defense.  While Mcguire has a tough match up and may end up splitting touches at closer to the 50% rate the Jets have used most of the season because that is what Boles believes in.

I don't agree with this. I don't have any issue with somebody starting Dixon over Mcguire, but it won't be because I expect Dixon to get most of the RZ touches or Mcguire being in a 50/50 split.

6 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Man the struggle in this thread. And I’m right there with y’all. I’m tempted (over Aaron Jones at CHI). But I just can’t. I’ve seen this book before. Start lesser known guy, that’s RW hyped, due to opportunity caused by injury, on a lousy team. 9/10 times it doesn’t work out. D. Thomas and Sutton come to mind.

Completely different situation. Can’t compare a WR to a RB because they aren’t guaranteed touches.  Much less a rookie WR to a RB who’s been in the system for a couple years now.

Personally I’d start Jones over McGuire, but it’s close.  I probably like Jones this week more than most people despite his tough matchup.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Completely different situation. Can’t compare a WR to a RB because they aren’t guaranteed touches.  Much less a rookie WR to a RB who’s been in the system for a couple years now.

Personally I’d start Jones over McGuire, but it’s close.  I probably like Jones this week more than most people despite his tough matchup.

Agree on the WR to RB comparison. Jones and McQuire are close for sure. But I’m with you, I think Jones is the play.

Also have Dixon.

The Jets just went into BUF against a decent defense and put up 27 points and a victory. McGuire had 17 PPR points.

Dixon also has me temped, but the downside is it's a timeshare.

Does McGuire pass the eye test? I haven't been able to see him play yet. Does he look quick? Does he have any speed in space? Does find the holes? Just need an overall breakdown of this kid. I've lost OBJ, Conner, Keenan. Need to decide if McGuire get the start or Sony and need help on the McGuire research.

14 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Agree on the WR to RB comparison. Jones and McQuire are close for sure. But I’m with you, I think Jones is the play.

Also have Dixon.

Dixon would be a distant 3rd for me.  To me, that’s kinda the same situation as last week when everyone wanted to start Justin Jackson against the Bengals.  Too much uncertainty for my taste.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Does McGuire pass the eye test? I haven't been able to see him play yet. Does he look quick? Does he have any speed in space? Does find the holes? Just need an overall breakdown of this kid. I've lost OBJ, Conner, Keenan. Need to decide if McGuire get the start or Sony and need help on the McGuire research.

He's looked fine. Nothing crazy. Some highlights from last week:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-jets-27-bills-23-week-14

4:47 mark

5:42 mark

7:03 mark - game winner

• Like 1