pjbyrne707

Justin Jackson 2018 Outlook

11 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Not to rain on the parade in here, but was that really that impressive? Wide open hole at the first level and pitter pattered his feet on the cut. But hey it worked.

Considering all of the Ekeler apologists drool all over themselves when Ekeler does it, it’s fair to give Jackson props. He deserves a lot more run next week in place of Gordon.

The Chargers have a great backfield situation right now. They have a bonafide stud RB1, an excellent COP back (who stays in that role in case of an RB1 injury) and a cheap rookie to fill in as the main ball carrier if needed. Health permitting, they’re set up for next year too

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Not to rain on the parade in here, but was that really that impressive? Wide open hole at the first level and pitter pattered his feet on the cut. But hey it worked.

Actually, you just tried to bring some thunder, lightning and heavy rain to the thread however, your weather model is wrong. It turned out to be a bright and sunny day and the Justin Jackson parade is rockin' down main street.

• Haha 1

Are we buying any of this talk that Gordon might return this week. Feels woefully misguided considering the decision making that led them to this point.

23 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

Are we buying any of this talk that Gordon might return this week. Feels woefully misguided considering the decision making that led them to this point.

I don’t buy that he’s coming back next week. More likely 2 weeks 

28 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

He’ll miss the CIN game & come back against KC. Book it

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

He’ll miss the CIN game & come back against KC. Book it

Last week I was 50/50 for this upcoming week, and 75% for next week (vs KC). I'm at 100% now for the KC game since LAC won't last night. HUGE game in two weeks and Gordon ain't missing that.

Edited by hamburglar628
  • Haha 2

I would still be wary of starting Jackson, unless you are desperate. Jackson and others indicated the running game was being shutdown and Ekeler had no room to run until the Chargers made a halftime adjustment and changed the blocking scheme. Ekeler has earned the benefit of the doubt considering all he's done previously to this point and it wouldn't be shocking at all if they split carries or if Ekeler starts again.

I actually have him on my Taxi squad in a dynasty league. I'm considering promoting and starting him over Duke Johnson in the 1st round of the playoffs this week if Gordon misses. It's such a good matchup.

1 hour ago, yanksman said:

Yeah the halftime adjustment was giving Jackson the rock 8 times.

Well played sir. Well played.

Would love to see this guy get moved to a different team that needs a starting RB.  i think he has the makeup of a 10 - 20 carry per game RB.  At least off of minimal opportunity he has gotten.  Think there are a few teams where Jackson would quickly rise to be their RB1. Jets and TB come to mind.

10 minutes ago, brakeyawself said:

Would love to see this guy get moved to a different team that needs a starting RB.  i think he has the makeup of a 10 - 20 carry per game RB.  At least off of minimal opportunity he has gotten.  Think there are a few teams where Jackson would quickly rise to be their RB1. Jets and TB come to mind.

i agree. also chiefs, patriots, steelers, raiders too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

i agree. also chiefs, patriots, steelers, raiders too.

Totally forgot about Chiefs.  Still repressing that memory as Hunt was my best RB in my best Dynasty league in which I am playoff bound with a decent chance of going to the finals.  Or at least, I had a decent chance of going to the finals before Hunt's idiotic blunder.  

But yea, Chiefs probably would be the best spot for him.  He would be so dangerous in that offense and he definitely looked better than what they have without Hunt.  Not a fan of their RBs behind Ware and not that big on Ware honestly.  He's lucky to be in that offense.

Steelers could also be a good spot.  All though I still like Samuels a bit to compete with Conner for carries.  He didn't do it this past weekend, but I have not given up on him yet.

NEw England though I think are set at RB.  Michel looks like a mainstay there and should be their RB1 for quite a few years.  Having Burkhead and White behind him, I can't see much room for another RB to get significant carries.  Those 3 actually make a damn good RB core IMO.

Jackson reminds me a bit of McCaffrey, White and dare I say a bit Kamara.  All though I think he definitely will need to add 10-15 pounds if he can.  Not saying he will be as good as Kamara at all.  But really, I think adding weight is all he would need to be a real solid starting RB in the NFL.

I can appreciate the fun, but why is anyone discussing other teams with him??

He's an undrafted rook who will be a cheap back-up for at least the next 3 years. Shoot, he's got a better chance of becoming the Bolts lead back than he does getting traded on that cheap contract.

• Like 3

Can I start him this week against that soft bengals defense? Back up QB for the bengals. Chargers should dominate, run the rock. I won’t have Conner it sounds like. 

41 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Can I start him this week against that soft bengals defense? Back up QB for the bengals. Chargers should dominate, run the rock. I won’t have Conner it sounds like. 

I might have to as well with Breida and possibly Kerryon out.  Not the worst move you can make, albeit risky.

19 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I can appreciate the fun, but why is anyone discussing other teams with him??

He's an undrafted rook who will be a cheap back-up for at least the next 3 years. Shoot, he's got a better chance of becoming the Bolts lead back than he does getting traded on that cheap contract.

Agreed...makes more sense to dump/trade Gordon 

Edited by Dr. Whom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Agreed...makes more sense to dump/trade Gordon 

Lets not forget that for as dynamic of a player that Gordon was/is....he seemed to always have a question mark around him because of his low ypc, etc. This would not be crazy.

Warren Sharp @SharpFootball

Melvin Gordon just became the first-ever RB to have his 5th-year option picked up. • He has averaged 3.5, 3.9 & 3.9 YPC in his 3 years. • His 42% success rate on 538 carries the last 2 years ranks worst of any RB with at least 425 carries. https://t.co/6G91Ay5lmm

So The Chargers picked up his 5th year option but just like the case with Jameis Winston the team could opt out of it and save a 6 million dollar cap hit. He'll be an UFA in 2020

Gonna try and snag this kid off waivers to fill my RB3 spot.   That matchup is too juicy and I simply don't trust the Chiefs to use Ware enough, nor the Patriots to stop vulturing Michel.

5 hours ago, RockSexton said:

Gonna try and snag this kid off waivers to fill my RB3 spot.   That matchup is too juicy and I simply don't trust the Chiefs to use Ware enough, nor the Patriots to stop vulturing Michel.

Really tough choice. I have similar choices to make in my leagues, since I picked up Justin Jackson in most of them.

Bengals are the single best RB matchup. They are without Dalton and AJG. Chargers play at home. Probably no Melvin Gordon. Justin Jackson showed his explosiveness in both games he got a run so far.

On the other side Ware, the starting RB on the best offense in the league against one of the toughest defensive fronts. If Melvin Gordon suits up, I go with Ware. If not, coin toss.

HC Lynn on Ekeler: "He's wearing down a little bit. He's a core special teams guy for us and he's played a lot of running back for us. So he's a little tired. You might see Justin (Jackson) play a little bit more, you might see (Detrez) Newsome play some this week."

Good news for Justin Jackson. He got 8 carries in about 1.5 quarters against a tough opponent. In a much easier matchup against the Bengals, I think his floor will be around 12 carries after hearing what Lynn just said. And if you can read between the lines, Melvin Gordon looks very doubtful to play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, frog34 said:

HC Lynn on Ekeler: "He's wearing down a little bit. He's a core special teams guy for us and he's played a lot of running back for us. So he's a little tired. You might see Justin (Jackson) play a little bit more, you might see (Detrez) Newsome play some this week."

Good news for Justin Jackson. He got 8 carries in about 1.5 quarters against a tough opponent. In a much easier matchup against the Bengals, I think his floor will be around 12 carries after hearing what Lynn just said. And if you can read between the lines, Melvin Gordon looks very doubtful to play.

Tend to agree, they admitted Ekeler isn't cut out for a large amount of carries. So at the very least, when its a blowout by the 2nd quarter, gonna be Jackson time. 

8 minutes ago, frog34 said:

The fact that Ekeler is "wearing down" already is concerning