Sign in to follow this  
roffie

Rodney Mcgruder 2018-2019 Season Outlook

I'm inclined to drop McGruder for someone I want on the wire but think I'm gonna let it play out for a little while.  

Neither Ellington or Winslow are good players IMO.  One is very one dimensional and the other doesnt really do anything that well, except offer some defensive versatility.

McGruder does everything both of those guys do and better IMO.  But they will get minutes at his expense.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

1 hour ago, VaTerp said:

I'm inclined to drop McGruder for someone I want on the wire but think I'm gonna let it play out for a little while.  

Neither Ellington or Winslow are good players IMO.  One is very one dimensional and the other doesnt really do anything that well, except offer some defensive versatility.

McGruder does everything both of those guys do and better IMO.  But they will get minutes at his expense.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

Offensively for sure he is not sure defensively though and Winslow just got paid hes getting his 27-30 min

he's been balling.  the concern is if his minutes will still be there when the heat is fully healthy.  James Johnson, Winslow, Ellington all missing right now.

4 hours ago, scienze said:

mcgruder is the real deal

spo favors him too so we could be in for a nice season

Agree with that. Spo seems to really trust him. The minutes don't lie so far. I think that Derrick Jones Jr and Tyler Johnson are more likely to be the losers when everyone will be healthy. 

• Like 1

No. His role when all the injured guys return is not cleared yet. Wait for FAgency status.

1 hour ago, KeyWest said:

Agree with that. Spo seems to really trust him. The minutes don't lie so far. I think that Derrick Jones Jr and Tyler Johnson are more likely to be the losers when everyone will be healthy. 

While I am high on the kid, we have to remember that there are not 1 but 2 players returning from injury (Winslow and Johnson). Those two are key rotation pieces and have already historically earned the trust of Spo. The chances of McGruder falling out of rotation is very real but this is also his best time to prove that he needs to start.

Also, don’t forget that Waiters will need his minutes when he comes back.

I just dropped him for Harrell due to schedule and matchup needs this week.

I'm just not confident the minutes will be there will all the guys Miami will have in the mix soon.  

Longer term injuries or a trade that create a path to consistent minutes and I will be hoping to scoop him again if and when he's available.  I think he'll be a guy who gets added and dropped a lot throughout the season.

When half of our roster gets off the injury report, he won't have value. He will remain on the court because he's good, but it won't translate fantasy numbers. I would try to trade him for a fringe top 100 player with season long value. Maximize the waiver add. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

When half of our roster gets off the injury report, he won't have value. He will remain on the court because he's good, but it won't translate fantasy numbers. I would try to trade him for a fringe top 100 player with season long value. Maximize the waiver add. 

McGruder is one of those players that was a great option at the end of the draft to kickstart the waiver process. When the Heat get healthy, which will happen, McGruder's role will be less than it is now. I don't know how much, but it will be less. The Heat re-upped Winslow. Waiters isn't going to miss the entire year. JJ will be back which will make that whole mess at the 4 cloudy, which probably pushes Winslow to the 3 with the great majority of his minutes. Blah Blah Blah, we need to wait to see the rotation Spo puts out there. 2 game week is tough. Just for reference, McGruder was a top FAAB target of the higher stakes leagues I am in. It feels like chasing stats to me, but people invested 12-30% of their FAAB budget on him. 8 cat roto.  

The Heat are the poor man's Celtics. They have depth, but it isn't really good depth. They really needed the Butler trade just to clear up the mess they made with their roster and bench. I don't know how it plays out, but McGruder has had amazing chemistry with Whiteside and has been the main one finding him on lobs off the pnr. Sucks that they will muck it up with Winslow, Johnson, and the rest of the low upside options when healthy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

McGruder is one of those players that was a great option at the end of the draft to kickstart the waiver process. When the Heat get healthy, which will happen, McGruder's role will be less than it is now. I don't know how much, but it will be less. The Heat re-upped Winslow. Waiters isn't going to miss the entire year. JJ will be back which will make that whole mess at the 4 cloudy, which probably pushes Winslow to the 3 with the great majority of his minutes. Blah Blah Blah, we need to wait to see the rotation Spo puts out there. 2 game week is tough. Just for reference, McGruder was a top FAAB target of the higher stakes leagues I am in. It feels like chasing stats to me, but people invested 12-30% of their FAAB budget on him. 8 cat roto.  

The Heat are the poor man's Celtics. They have depth, but it isn't really good depth. They really needed the Butler trade just to clear up the mess they made with their roster and bench. I don't know how it plays out, but McGruder has had amazing chemistry with Whiteside and has been the main one finding him on lobs off the pnr. Sucks that they will muck it up with Winslow, Johnson, and the rest of the low upside options when healthy. 

Winslow was on the right path, but ever since he injured his wrist ( think it was two years ago ), he never been the same. Waiters is just a high volume inconsistent microwave with a glass ankle. James Johnson is better than those two and he's the most versatile for small ball. We really need him to be back. 

I say this though. Whatever stick Whiteside had in his a** looks like it's been removed. He looks concentrated. 

There is no way we can get Butler without giving up Richardson lol. I'll stick with this log jam for one more season than trading him away.

• Like 1

Just now, Trench Mob said:

Winslow was on the right path, but ever since he injured his wrist ( think it was two years ago ), he never been the same. Waiters is just a high volume inconsistent microwave with a glass ankle. James Johnson is better than those two and he's the most versatile for small ball. We really need him to be back. 

I say this though. Whatever stick Whiteside had in his a** looks like it's been removed. He looks concentrated. 

There is no way we can get Butler without giving up Richardson lol. I'll stick with this log jam for one more season than trading him away.

Appreciate the insight. I have watched the Heat games for Whiteside purposes and he looks engaged. It is only a matter of time before he posts a monster line IMO and the rest of the world takes note. 

I agree with your assessment on Winslow and Waiters, etc. But, the reason they are the poor man's Celtics is that they will still give these guys minutes and they really shouldn't be getting minutes. The Heat are sort of stuck in no man's land. Very Sixers-ish before the tank/rebuild. Consolidating the rotation and talent on the team would do them wonders, IMO. 

Great for some short term production, but I don't see him sustaining season long with so many pieces set to return.

9 hours ago, pixelhated said:

Great for some short term production, but I don't see him sustaining season long with so many pieces set to return.

I think he might be the chosen one! 

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, scienze said:

out of waiters, winslow, and tyler, i truly believe mcgruder could emerge this year as “the one”

Couldn’t agree more. The coach is absolutely in love with him! 

On 2018-10-22 at 9:53 AM, thezing1 said:

Nice post.  Don’t forget Wayne Ellington either!

Edited by c_dog

McGruder this season reminds me of Dinwiddie's story arc last year. Got minutes from injury opportunity. It wasn't meant to last. Kid balled his brains out all season long. With McGruder, if someone is available with top-75 potential and a better pedigree, drop him for a superior upside opportunity. There is no reason to let him go for the flavor of the week just because he doesn't have big-name pedigree and you haven't thought about him much before.

I'm riding this guy into the ground until he stops producing and getting minutes. If someone is dumb and drops a great player then fine I cut bait, but most leagues don't have such stupid managers. My wire is already barren.

What do I do with this guy on a rebuilding dynasty team??? He surely can't have long-term value, but dude can ball and I love watching him play. :(

I get glimpses of Sean Kilpatrick's ridiculous run.

Im guessing he stays in the starting lineup even  all the guys are back. Spo isn't that stupid to just bench him with these numbers