rob0403

Monte Morris 2018 to 2019 Outlook

Any chance the Nuggets trade Monte in the offseason? Plenty of teams looking for a young point guard, I reckon. And the Nuggets have a lot of young guards -- and a point forward -- already.

19 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Any chance the Nuggets trade Monte in the offseason? Plenty of teams looking for a young point guard, I reckon. And the Nuggets have a lot of young guards -- and a point forward -- already.

If anything they should trade Murray. 

• Like 1

With the news that both Barton and Harris are practicing, does that spell the end of Monte's 12-team relevance? I just don't see how 20 backup minutes can provide enough value.

7 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

With the news that both Barton and Harris are practicing, does that spell the end of Monte's 12-team relevance? I just don't see how 20 backup minutes can provide enough value.

It very well might but I think I'm just gonna hold on to him and see how he does. He's been playing well enough to keep getting minutes so it's worth a wait and see approach. 

I think he’s done. Who the heck is Mike Malone going to cut minutes from once everyone can go there full compliment of starters min. I highly doubt Barton, Murray or Gary will seed minutes once this happens. There all goin my to eventually be playing heavy min. Morris has been great but it’s about to end imo.  I think a month from now if he’s gettin 20 min per it will be a miracle. 

It’s not always about minutes either, if their not winning games, things will change. A great player can get minutes and produce fantasy gold but be useless in terms of their effect on the outcome of the game. 

On 2018-12-22 at 9:49 PM, Raiiny said:

If anything they should trade Murray. 

Why is that? Murray/Gary/Barton is pretty damn solid.

12 minutes ago, gooseball said:

Because he has Morris on his fantasy team. Otherwise that's a pretty moronic take. 

Edited by taenggg

Why wouldn't he keep his value in slightly reduced minutes?  He is playing great, his +/-  is  always  good.  If anything I can see Murray, Harris, Barton playing few minutes less to make room for Morris.  He helps Denver win games,  and that is what matters.

In a way, it reminds me of Siakam situation early this season.  He was (and is) playing great, but people very worried what would happen when Raptors are healthy. 

Good coach (Nurse)  will play players that help team win the games.

It is another question what Malone will do...

I really like the guy and he's been one of my better wire pickups but the unfortunate truth is that his production will suffer when the team is fully healthy. He's soaking up a lot of the minutes from Barton and Harris which is letting him put up 13-16 pts with 4-6 dimes. Once the minutes go down his numbers will be closer to 6-7 ppg and 3-4 assists. The efficiency will be there but the overall production won't. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong though because dude has been great for me. 

19 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Why wouldn't he keep his value in slightly reduced minutes?  He is playing great, his +/-  is  always  good.  If anything I can see Murray, Harris, Barton playing few minutes less to make room for Morris.  He helps Denver win games,  and that is what matters.

In a way, it reminds me of Siakam situation early this season. 

Lol I own the guy in dynasty but come on now. Monte is a roll player and that’s it. He will not be taking min from there top guys. Are you saying that Barton, Murray and Garry don’t help the team win games,?? And comparing this situation to Siakum is laughable. The PF job was up for grades to being the season In Toronto snd Siakum’s competition for minutes are pretty bad in terms of other players he’s competiting with. Monte will be competing with core Nuggs players for minutes lol. This is like the Josh Hart situation in La and the guys arguing that he will have a nice  role regardless of Ingram, Kuz etc. Those supporters went into hiding eventually and so will you. Agsjn I’ll be shocked if he is getting 20 min per in a month. 

Edited by chud12

2 hours ago, chud12 said:

Lol I own the guy in dynasty but come on now. Monte is a roll player and that’s it. He will not be taking min from there top guys. Are you saying that Barton, Murray and Garry don’t help the team win games,?? And comparing this situation to Siakum is laughable. The PF job was up for grades to being the season In Toronto snd Siakum’s competition for minutes are pretty bad in terms of other players he’s competiting with. Monte will be competing with core Nuggs players for minutes lol. This is like the Josh Hart situation in La and the guys arguing that he will have a nice  role regardless of Ingram, Kuz etc. Those supporters went into hiding eventually and so will you. Agsjn I’ll be shocked if he is getting 20 min per in a month. 

Back to the Raptors (I am from Canada an I do follow a Raptors), projected starting 5  was:  Lowry, Kawhi, Green, Ibaka and Jonas.   That is far cry from "PF job being up for for grabs".  And lots of people were expecting big break from OG, not Pascal.   In many cases Pascal was projected, at best, as time share at SF/PF spot. 

Situation is similar for both of them:

In both cases you have a player that was flaying under the radar,  and got a chance to play a big minutes. Both players played really good with extra time.  Is it laughable to say that they might continue playing good and force coach's hand into giving them more minutes?

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with Monte

And I'm from Toronto. Your point? Pascal was pegged for a breakout season. Anyone who saw him over the summer and the work he put in knew he had a very good chance to get significant minutes. Even Nick nurse said pre season the starting spot was up for grabs. You can't say the same about Morris. 

Morris is in a completely different situation where hes getting run due to the nuggets being decimated by injuries. Yeah he will stay in the rotation but it's very unlikely he will get the same minutes once the nuggets are healthy. 

He will get anywhere between 20-28 minutes most nights which isn't enough for him to keep his current value (top 60ish). And this isn't even taking into account IT2 who will probably get a few minutes if he ever returns. 

Edited by taenggg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

we will agree to disagree

If Monte can successfully transition to an off the ball scorer, he can probably do decent damage in 15-20 min. But I feel like the lack of usage will decimate his stat line. 

6 hours ago, gooseball said:

Actually I have Murray on my team and not Morris. It's not hard to see that Morris is a better pg and also a more efficient scorer. Maybe you can check the stats or actually watch some games before you call something as moronic. 

• Like 1

Monte is definitely a better pure playmaker than Murray but I don't really see nuggets doing something drastic like starting Monte over Jamal. 

10 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Monte was a tough own even when the Nuggets were decimated, to be honest.

There were some pretty lean nights.

Sorry but this post makes no sense.  The last 30 days he has been the #59 player in 9 cats.  That is far from a "tough own" unless you are in an 8 teamer, maybe.

13 hours ago, taenggg said:

And I'm from Toronto. Your point? Pascal was pegged for a breakout season. Anyone who saw him over the summer and the work he put in knew he had a very good chance to get significant minutes. Even Nick nurse said pre season the starting spot was up for grabs. You can't say the same about Morris. 

Morris is in a completely different situation where hes getting run due to the nuggets being decimated by injuries. Yeah he will stay in the rotation but it's very unlikely he will get the same minutes once the nuggets are healthy. 

He will get anywhere between 20-28 minutes most nights which isn't enough for him to keep his current value (top 60ish). And this isn't even taking into account IT2 who will probably get a few minutes if he ever returns. 

Not to speak for  @Gile Pile but I think the larger point is in fantasy no one has a crystal ball and is able to 100% predict what will happen with Monte's role and minutes.  On paper yeah it looks bleak but it seems like breakouts happen every season where a situation looks crowded but the cream finds a way to rise to the top.  The biggest mistakes I've made in fantasy are prematurely giving up on talent when a situation looks bleak on paper.  Year after year people miss out on sleepers based on this reasoning.  The Siakam comparison is valid, because although many could see a breakout coming (myself included), the naysayers were looking at Kawhi/OG/Ibaka/Jonas and saying "too many mouths to feed" and "crowded situation" despite the empirical data suggesting Siakam would be a factor. 

One cannot always predict with certainty what will happen, to assume you know with 100% certainty is short-sighted and bordering on stupidity IMO.  In Monte's case it's not a stretch to visualize guys like Lyles and Hernangomez as the guys who will be losing minutes and not Monte.  Potentially Denver could play small-ball lineups with Morris playing alongside Murray and Barton.  Again this are all scenarios and no one knows what will happen maybe not even the Denver coaching staff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raiiny said:

Actually I have Murray on my team and not Morris. It's not hard to see that Morris is a better pg and also a more efficient scorer. Maybe you can check the stats or actually watch some games before you call something as moronic. 

We are on a fantasy forum, I assume everyone watches games and looks at stats before coming to conclusions. The fact you even suggested trading Murray to build around jokic Morris and co is laughable. So yes it's a moronic take to trade away a 21 year old. 

Edited by taenggg