Flyman75

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

He’s just sitting on the wire in one of my leagues and I’m tempted to pick up for the third time haha but he would be my first drop again. Just seems like a game at this point.

I would do it.  I tried to pick him back up today and ended up losing out on waivers to another team.  Too much upside to ignore.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would do it.  I tried to pick him back up today and ended up losing out on waivers to another team.  Too much upside to ignore.

Yea. It’s all league dependent though. In one league my hitters are just flat out better than him. In my other league, not so much. I’m excited to have him where I really really need him.

5 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea. It’s all league dependent though. In one league my hitters are just flat out better than him. In my other league, not so much. I’m excited to have him where I really really need him.

That is fair.  I would personally err on the side of rostering him given the big upside and regret dropping him to chase saves.  The underlying metrics say he should be elite and he was a stud last year so the risk / reward is just heavily in favor of grabbing him if you are waffling, imo.

My reaction when Franmil 'only good in statcast leagues' Reyes has a slugging % of .531 and is still nearly 200 points under his .725 XSLG on the year

giphy.gif[

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

just saw hes hitting 4th between manny and hosmer

yasssss Padres keep the faith

To bad both have been terrible this year

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, paper_boi said:

We holding this guy? Josh Bell is looking pretty good on the wire as a trade-off...

I'll say this again in regards to somebody who has no business being on the wire....  Make the move and do it now.  Maybe the baseball gods start looking into his Statcast numbers someday and he stops going 0-fer in all but one game a week, but Josh Bell is doing really good things right now and has no business being out there.  Again, make the move.  You're already missing out on nice production now while waiting on the "what if" of Reyes.

2 hours ago, paper_boi said:

We holding this guy? Josh Bell is looking pretty good on the wire as a trade-off...

I have Bell and was thinking about dropping him to keep Franmil. That would have been a huge mistake. Get Bell. 

He’s a hold if you could afford the space. It depends on your team. If you lost someone due to injury and have a spot, Franmil could be a good replacement of power and you could play him every day until he hopefully gets hot. If you’re hitting isn’t good and there is nothing you like on the wire, he’s a hold for sure. But if you have someone like Josh Bell on the wire, I think you cut bait.

Edited by hangin n wangin

I've finally lost patience with this guy. He's a gaping hole on my bench. For whatever reason the Stat cast numbers aren't translating to results. 

26 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

I've finally lost patience with this guy. He's a gaping hole on my bench. For whatever reason the Stat cast numbers aren't translating to results. 

When he hits a homerun we hear about.

Any knowledgeable fantasy player knows Franmil can’t be trusted, inconsistent too unreliable, especially when his average is under .200. 

Still an easy hold for me and still expecting a 30+ homer season. Any knowledgeable fantasy player knows that a .160 BBIP and a .193 batting average are going to regress positively in a player with such high barrels %, hard hit %, and exit velocities. In a 12 team league that starts 5 outfielders dropping a player like this would be a mistake. If you play in an 8 team, 3 outfielder league go ahead and drop (and find a few more friends and expand your settings next year). 

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

When he hits a homerun we hear about.

Any knowledgeable fantasy player knows Franmil can’t be trusted, inconsistent too unreliable, especially when his average is under .200. 

Why do you continue to bash him, while only stating his avg for why you don’t like him? Drop him and move on, or at least give some reasoning beyond what anyone can see from clicking on his name. 

• Like 2

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

Why do you continue to bash him, while only stating his avg for why you don’t like him? Drop him and move on, or at least give some reasoning beyond what anyone can see from clicking on his name. 

No worries, those types of posters will soon leave these boards with fantasy football right around the corner.

5 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Why do I continue? One reason only because he stinks at this time his numbers are horrible which is very frustrating because I own-him on two teams. This is fantasy baseball its all about numbers. Franmil numbers in my eyes are not that good at this time. Others want to disagree with me, you guys have the right, but don’t I have the same rights to post negatively?

Twenty one times this Franmil has come to the plate with at least two ABs and only 4 times he has hit a homer. It would be nice if he could get in a groove and be one of those plug and play players. Instead I am always shuffling him in and out of my starting lineup. 

32 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

No worries, those types of posters will soon leave these boards with fantasy football right around the corner.

Nope not me. I play till the end. 

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why do I continue? One reason only because he stinks at this time his numbers are horrible which is very frustrating because I own-him on two teams. This is fantasy baseball its all about numbers. Franmil numbers in my eyes are not that good at this time. Others want to disagree with me, you guys have the right, but don’t I have the same rights to post negatively?

Twenty one times this Franmil has come to the plate with at least two ABs and only 4 times he has hit a homer. It would be nice if he could get in a groove and be one of those plug and play players. Instead I am always shuffling him in and out of my starting lineup. 

So drop him and stop whining? Goodness, these posts are aggravating. "Yo, this guys sucks! He's so bad!" over and over and over. Move along.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Anyone playing fantasy baseball on any platform can easily see what his avg is, or that he hasn't hit many HR's. Simply complaining about that is for the vent/rant thread. Now if you have some concerning underlying numbers that point to avg/HR struggles continuing, then I'd want to know that. But the fact is that just about every predictive stat points to him turning it around. K's in line with minors numbers, walks as well, great exit velo, launch angle looks good too, barrel%, hard %, etc etc. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/franmil-reyes-614177?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Now that I look at his numbers on the year, he has hit quite a few HR's and is on pace for 36. If he gets 6 hits in his next 10 AB's, he's hitting .241 on the year, so we're one small hot streak from his buy low window being closed. If he goes 10 for his next 20 AB's he's up to .258, so it can change in a hurry. 

• Like 1

I love when threads reach a point of denial- where it can’t be accepted something isn’t working out - and I see ‘if we get a miracle of 6 for his next 10, he’s hitting .241 suddenly!’ 

The forum is a psychology experiment all in its own 

• Like 1

Maybe he can play 2B also, that would add value to the black hole.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I love when threads reach a point of denial- where it can’t be accepted something isn’t working out - and I see ‘if we get a miracle of 6 for his next 10, he’s hitting .241 suddenly!’ 

The forum is a psychology experiment all in its own 

So we should just look at it as he’s only hitting.192 in 82 plate appearances, therefore he sucks and we should drop him? Thanks for that solid analysis. How do I subscribe to your blog?Perhaps we should look at all of the data available to us to make an informed decision on what his value is going forward.

Just now, meh2 said:

So we should just look at it as he’s only hitting.192 in 82 plate appearances, therefore he sucks and we should drop him? Thanks for that solid analysis. How do I subscribe to your blog?Perhaps we should look at all of the data available to us to make an informed decision on what his value is going forward.

I just am amused by (and I do it too) how we as humans reason psychologically. 

‘If he (does unlikely/impossible act), he is (still not really doing all that well, but maybe then it will be ok)’

This thread is useless. It’s like walking into a girls high school locker room with all the bickering.

Edited by hangin n wangin