Flyman75

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

I can't imagine a situation other than nursing some kind of minor injury not to be playing him especially in a place like Coors...

Read on Padres twitter that he took a hard fall sliding for a ball in the outfield recently. Only logical explanation at this point. 

19 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Read on Padres twitter that he took a hard fall sliding for a ball in the outfield recently. Only logical explanation at this point. 

Yep.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They need to trade him to the AL so he can DH. Isn’t this the second time already this season he’s injured himself just trying to catch a ball? Doesn’t he have prior history of knee injuries also? He doesn’t look like he has the durability to play a full season in the field, plus he’s just not good at it. I’d love to see him moved so he can DH. Let’s get him in a hitters park while we are at it also 😂.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jtampa813 said:

They need to trade him to the AL so he can DH. Isn’t this the second time already this season he’s injured himself just trying to catch a ball? Doesn’t he have prior history of knee injuries also? He doesn’t look like he has the durability to play a full season in the field, plus he’s just not good at it. I’d love to see him moved so he can DH. Let’s get him in a hitters park while we are at it also 😂.

They should honestly move him as a key piece to a place like Detroit and get a pitcher Matthew Boyd... but that's not a hitters park. Maybe Toronto will deal Stroman... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

They should honestly move him as a key piece to a place like Detroit and get a pitcher Matthew Boyd... but that's not a hitters park. Maybe Toronto will deal Stroman... 

Reyes and Guerrero Jr. would be a nice middle of the lineup to build off of for Toronto, that’s an interesting idea. If San Diego could get Boyd for Reyes than that is a no brainer move for San Diego in my opinion, especially with the outfield depth that they have. But I don’t see that much incentive for Detroit to do a deal like that right now.  San Diego could use a solid 200 inning guy in that rotation, a lot of young guys but they need an anchor to that rotation for sure. Stroman would be good too but I like Boyd better. I’d be interested to hear from others if there are any AL teams that could benefit from making a move for Reyes as a DH and have the pieces to get him and may actually be a legitimate trade possibility for this season. 

Meanwhile Renfroe just hit another 2 run homer... sometimes injuries can cost you your starting job, and Reyes may be at risk of that if Renfroe keeps hitting like this. He’s a better fielder also. 

Be willing to bet Reyes and Logan Allen could get Boyd.  Whether the Padres would offer that I don't know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, B&F said:

Be willing to bet Reyes and Logan Allen could get Boyd.  Whether the Padres would offer that I don't know.

Zero chance Detroit takes that.  There'd need to be at least two more significant pieces.

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, StevieStats said:

They'd target Boyd before Stroman due to cleaner health history and more years of control. 

• Like 1

good buying time rn, as some posters have said he may even get dropped in which case id def give him an add

11 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

good buying time rn, as some posters have said he may even get dropped in which case id def give him an add

There's like 100 guys on pace for 30+ homers in the league right now.

A guy who does very little outside of hitting solo homers every once in a while just isn't as valuable as some of you think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

There's like 100 guys on pace for 30+ homers in the league right now.

A guy who does very little outside of hitting solo homers every once in a while just isn't as valuable as some of you think.

True but there are still a select number who might hit 50 this year to which Reyes has to be considered one of them.  I dropped him this week mainly because I felt safe that he wouldn't be picked up right away in my 12 teamer.  However, I am definitely going to keep my eye on him should he heat up again.   And frankly he would probably still be on my team had he not been hurt and played in those crazy games in Coors.  He surely would have gotten in on the action and likely no one would be dropping today.   Perception can change in an instant with a guy like this.  When he gets hot again you'll definitely want to own.  If he gets traded you'll want a piece of him then as well...  

Struck out looking twice with runners in scoring position. Both full counts, but gotta swing the bat to hit the ball. A sacrifice fly could have brought in one of them also.... there may be something to his struggles with runners on base. I’ve yet to see him perform very well with runners on. But I’m not giving up on him. 

32 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

I told you guys weeks ago hes the anti-renfroe

So you have to think the Padres know this also.. do you think they were playing Reyes this much to showcase him for a trade? Clearly Renfroe looks like the better player right now. Everyone keeps talking about Renfroe being the one that gets traded, but he seems to have more long term value, has a very good contract, and can actually play the field. Reyes is a prototypical DH and needs to be in the AL. I know Reyes has tons of potential, but if you are gonna be in the NL you have to field, and if you are going to be a power hitter in the middle of the lineup, you have to capitalize on RBI opportunities consistently. 

• Like 1

I think if the Padres are serious about competing you don't trade Renfroe, hes on a 5+ WAR pace and has been playing amazing defense as well

its funny as a Padre fan, you wait and wait for a prospect to finally develop, and then when he does, its nothing but trade talk

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jtampa813 said:

So you have to think the Padres know this also.. do you think they were playing Reyes this much to showcase him for a trade? Clearly Renfroe looks like the better player right now. Everyone keeps talking about Renfroe being the one that gets traded, but he seems to have more long term value, has a very good contract, and can actually play the field. Reyes is a prototypical DH and needs to be in the AL. I know Reyes has tons of potential, but if you are gonna be in the NL you have to field, and if you are going to be a power hitter in the middle of the lineup, you have to capitalize on RBI opportunities consistently. 

I agree that Reyes should be a dh although that may happen in the NL so they (Padres) might be thinking of that too. I also bet if he is traded this year he'll drive in a ton of runs.  Finally, note until a week ago Renfro had similarly low rbi totals...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I agree that Reyes should be a dh although that may happen in the NL so they (Padres) might be thinking of that too. I also bet if he is traded this year he'll drive in a ton of runs.  Finally, note until a week ago Renfro had similarly low rbi totals...

Ya good point, and everyone put up numbers in that Colorado series... hell, Hosmer had 12 rbi hitting .333 last week lol. So would have been nice to see Reyes in that series, because you are right.. Renfroe wasn’t doing anything that special until last week.