Flyman75

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Not a good start...I think we see Renfoe tomorrow

LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

I know it's funny but it probably is true haha.

We'll see. If Renfroe does play tomorrow I highly doubt it has to do with a single game reaction.  That's reserved for us rubes to do.

Just now, Magoo said:

We'll see. If Renfroe does play tomorrow I highly doubt it has to do with a single game reaction.  That's reserved for us rubes to do.

Oh yea I agree with that for sure. It's not cause of this game. However, you have to wonder. If he went 2/3 with 2 bombs, would he get benched? I think he's going to share time with Renfroe regardless, though.

1 minute ago, einstein2u said:

back in the clean up spot tonight.

let hope for a good night!

Lol yea. I didn't expect him to be in there today tbh. Hopefully has a good game.

I wonder if Manny Machado had any say in who he preferred having bat behind him. Would a manager/Front office take that into consideration? 

9 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I wonder if Manny Machado had any say in who he preferred having bat behind him. Would a manager/Front office take that into consideration? 

Define consideration? But mostly no. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Define consideration? But mostly no. 

Like if Manny told the coach who he feels more comfortable protecting him if he was asked. Or maybe the front office went through the roster when talking about signing him and gathered his thoughts. Idk, I'm not saying it happened, just wondering if it's possible. Realistically, we will probably never know. But Machado did mention Franmill protecting him in spring training, so there's that.

Edited by hangin n wangin

This is probably as simple as Reyes being a masher against lefties. I guess I am just hoping he steals all of Renfroe's PT. Wishful thinking :)

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Like if Manny told the coach who he feels more comfortable protecting him if he was asked. Or maybe the front office went through the roster when talking about signing him and gathered his thoughts. Idk, I'm not saying it happened, just wondering if it's possible. Realistically, we will probably never know. But Machado did mention Franmill protecting him in spring training, so there's that.

Sure but I think part of the reason Reyes has gotten buzz in general is because the Padres have seemed high on him going back to next year. Honestly the Padres telling Machado on the table “Trust me, this dude Franmil... LEGIT.” Makes far more sense to me. 

Hes got a long swing and needs refinement. Whether he can hit enough to stick right now is a legit question. The power isn’t. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

a player dictating batting order. cmon on man theres only one LBJ

Lyndon Johnson came back from the dead and plays baseball now?  Learn something now on this forum everyday day it seems.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Sure but I think part of the reason Reyes has gotten buzz in general is because the Padres have seemed high on him going back to next year. Honestly the Padres telling Machado on the table “Trust me, this dude Franmil... LEGIT.” Makes far more sense to me. 

Hes got a long swing and needs refinement. Whether he can hit enough to stick right now is a legit question. The power isn’t. 

He's shortened his swing up quite a bit since he first came up last year.  Note his hand position/usage.

• Like 2

If this was any sort of a matchup thing, then the smart thing to do would have been to have Renfroe start on opening day against Baumgarner....why?

5-13 2 hr against Bumgarner lifetime

that alone tells you Reyes is the guy til he falls flat

that being said, I think Renfroe plays Sunday

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

If this was any sort of a matchup thing, then the smart thing to do would have been to have Renfroe start on opening day against Baumgarner....why?

5-13 2 hr against Bumgarner lifetime

that alone tells you Reyes is the guy til he falls flat

that being said, I think Renfroe plays Sunday

Smart thing would have been to start Renfroe over Hosmer and put Myers at 1b.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Smart thing would have been to start Renfroe over Hosmer and put Myers at 1b.  

Welll... the smart thing in this case... would've been to not give Hosmer that much $$$... 

Honestly I think deep down they want him to ball out so they can ship him even taking on part of the contract. 

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Welll... the smart thing in this case... would've been to not give Hosmer that much $$$... 

Honestly I think deep down they want him to ball out so they can ship him even taking on part of the contract. 

I agree about the not signing him part.

Edited by 96mnc

I have Franmil everywhere...I love him so much but idk right now. Especially when I can get a guy like Domingo Santana in free agency in one league, I think I can sneak Franmil through waivers and have him not get claimed so I could just pick him back up if he gets hot but I dont wanna put too much into only 2 games, for both players. idk what to do 

16 minutes ago, wallach17 said:

I have Franmil everywhere...I love him so much but idk right now. Especially when I can get a guy like Domingo Santana in free agency in one league, I think I can sneak Franmil through waivers and have him not get claimed so I could just pick him back up if he gets hot but I dont wanna put too much into only 2 games, for both players. idk what to do 

Same thoughts as you. I'm sadly dropping if I need to free up a roster spot but not dropping for the sake of dropping. Hate having a quick hook but playing time is going to become an issue if he doesn't hit the ground running.

Some choppy waters early in season for some nice young players.  Namely Franmil, Hampson, Winker, among others who are stuck on clubs with a bunch of options.  Talent and injuries usually allow these things to pan out, but it will take time and patience.

9 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Same thoughts as you. I'm sadly dropping if I need to free up a roster spot but not dropping for the sake of dropping. Hate having a quick hook but playing time is going to become an issue if he doesn't hit the ground running.

Two things going on: 

One Franmil > Renfroe versus lefties. Two lefties so far. He very well may sit versus some righties. Don’t read read too much into either vis a vis full time playing 

Second, the fact they put him cleanup consistent with ST means (to me at least) that he’s going to get a lot of rope as far as lack of hits. Hits can be fickle and he’s had some decent abs so far. Drove in a run in a close game.

If you liked him going into the season, then it’s classic opening week recency bias to drop. 

Edited by Magoo