Rotoworld.com Forums

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

I think they should leave Buxton in the 9 hole for awhile longer. He looks comfortable at the plate this season so I’d rather them stick with it opposed to putting him high in the order and putting pressure on him. 

I know it isn’t ideal for fantasy but it be be better for him in the long run. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buxton is like a Thursday night with the boys. You know you got work in the morning, you tell yourself eh I'll just have a pint, quick snack... 3 hours later you're 2 shots and 5 pints deep throw

Looks hot now....   then you draft him.     

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/byron-buxton-says-he-fixed-his-swing-by-himself    

Man, picked him up yesterday to fill a post-trade hole and started him. Then reconsidered, and cut him for someone else.

My typical timing.... :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Man, picked him up yesterday to fill a post-trade hole and started him. Then reconsidered, and cut him for someone else.

My typical timing.... :rolleyes:

seriously?  8 team league?

57 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I think they should leave Buxton in the 9 hole for awhile longer. He looks comfortable at the plate this season so I’d rather them stick with it opposed to putting him high in the order and putting pressure on him. 

I know it isn’t ideal for fantasy but it be be better for him in the long run. 

I hear you but Buxton is now 25 years of age. With all the rookies being promoted left and right not a single one is cemented in the 9 hole. Take the freaking training wheels off already and at least put him in the middle of the lineup for Pete's sake. This is his 5th year now in the majors. 

Regardless of his fantasy status, I’m happy to see he is producing great numbers right now. I’m sure none of us have any idea how demoralizing it would be to be regarded as a top prospect and fail to produce. Happy for this guy.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, quietj said:

I hear you but Buxton is now 25 years of age. With all the rookies being promoted left and right not a single one is cemented in the 9 hole. Take the freaking training wheels off already and at least put him in the middle of the lineup for Pete's sake. This is his 5th year now in the majors. 

I understand and I agree with you but even though it’s his 5th year in the majors he has struggled 90% of the time. He has been solid but it’s only a 1/3 of the way through the season. If he is hitting well over the next 30 games or so I’d consider moving him up. For now I’m happy with him producing without any pressure.

• Like 1

I came across this article and I agree with it. I know the 9 hole isn’t exciting for fantasy but as I said above , I wouldn’t mind him getting more comfortable before he moves up in the order. 

However, the single most important reason for not moving Buxton up in the lineup is to avoid rushing him into a more pressure-packed position. He's obviously very comfortable batting ninth, and if you move him up in the order, he'll likely see tougher pitches to hit.

On Opening Day in 2017, Paul Molitor penciled Buxton in as his No. 3 hitter for the first four games of the season. The results were awful. He struck out a ton and was banished towards the bottom the order and it took him about three months to dig out of it.

Kepler might not be hitting for average, but he's still on pace for 60 walks and 34 home runs. That's still a solid top of the order hitter. Even though his ceiling might not be as high as Buxton's, he's clearly comfortable and productive being the leadoff hitter.

Where in Buxton's case, we just don't know if he can handle that responsibility yet at the Major League level. Unless Kepler, or even Polanco, suffers an injury that forces Rocco Baldelli's hand, that might be the only way Buxton moves up in the order in the short term.  

In the meantime, Buxton can continue to rake at the bottom of the order and set the table to turn things over to the top of the lineup.

There's nothing wrong with him getting on base with the top of order waiting to drive him in.

• Like 1

Buxton's career OPS batting 5th is .894 albeit in a small sample size.  Career OPS in the 9 hole is .690

So if it's true that he can't handle the pressure of hitting higher in the order ,,why did he hit so much better in the 5th spot?  Sure there are small sample sizes but so is the sample size to him batting leadoff or 3rd.

There's no evidence that players "can't handle the pressure" of batting higher in the order but batting 9th hurts his number of PAs per game and diminishes his fantasy value. 

• Like 1

The whole "pressure" BS is comedy. He is breaking out. He belongs near the top of the order. Aaron Hicks is another twin with high pedigree that comes to mind. He bats 3rd for the Yanks!

Edited by TTRA1N

Here are some reasons why Buxton is batting 9th...

All of these reasons are stupid...I repeat all of these reasons are stupid...don't take them seriously.

1) he can't handle the pressure (hit just fine in the 5th spot)

2) The ridiculous idea that the pitcher should bat 8th and your n# 9 hitter should have speed so he can double steal with the leadoff hitter.  (Nope it's the AL so DH and Kepler and Polanco aren't speed demons.  Above avg but not big SB guys).

3) Buxton himself asked for it.  (no evidence of that).

• Like 1

Out of the lineup 2 straight days. So I’m guessing he’s hurt. 

Even if they don’t respect his bat in the 9 slot yet, there’s a huge difference with his glove in CF vs. running Kepler out there to try to run down fly balls. 

9 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Out of the lineup 2 straight days. So I’m guessing he’s hurt. 

Even if they don’t respect his bat in the 9 slot yet, there’s a huge difference with his glove in CF vs. running Kepler out there to try to run down fly balls. 

Game was ppd yesterday. Same lineup.

• Like 1

I'm upset he didn't get to play in this blowout stat-padding extravaganza, because his stupid manager wanted to keep his lineup promise to whatever a "Luis Arraez" is

Edited by abachar

On the plus side... this Twins lineup looks pretty devastating right now. Didn't really expect that coming into the year. Great for ROS purposes.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, KingJoffrey said:

Here are some reasons why Buxton is batting 9th...

All of these reasons are stupid...I repeat all of these reasons are stupid...don't take them seriously.

1) he can't handle the pressure (hit just fine in the 5th spot)

2) The ridiculous idea that the pitcher should bat 8th and your n# 9 hitter should have speed so he can double steal with the leadoff hitter.  (Nope it's the AL so DH and Kepler and Polanco aren't speed demons.  Above avg but not big SB guys).

3) Buxton himself asked for it.  (no evidence of that).

Well said.

#1 - this sorta suggest he doesnt have the mental capabilities to play rather than skill. Don't think so. I dont know where hes feeling all the pressure from either. 

#2 is ridiculous.  Got the lead off guy up with a man on, steals 2nd ... I understand to get man in RISP.  But Then Steals 3rd for a sac fly? Passed ball? Or worst thrown out. Poorly NL or AL managed. 

The NL teams will do it if they have an elite 3 hitter. Guy Bats in the 1st inn. but then becomes more of a 4 hole guy later in the game with more RBI. 

I also think the uptick in doubles is really positive rather than negative as some have complained.  A 2b gives you AVG or OPS,  better Run scoring opportunities, More RBIs hitting doubles,  and usually you see home runs and doubles correlate. Plus he can steal 3rd and will have his share of steals regardless.  

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Unless he’s standing on 2nd with exactly one out, it doesn’t make much sense to steal 3rd. I’m sure he will eventually though. 

I believe the math just indicates that you need to be able to steal third at something like a 90-95% success rate (as opposed to 80ish percent for second base) for it to make sense. 

Of course, if you were facing a guy like Chris Young (the pitcher version) back in the day, every single person on base should try to steal second or third at every opportunity because he was so damned slow to home.  

Edited by Overlord
19 hours ago, abachar said:

I'm upset he didn't get to play in this blowout stat-padding extravaganza, because his stupid manager wanted to keep his lineup promise to whatever a "Luis Arraez" is

Technically he did play in the game, he played the bottom of the 9th....

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Unless he’s standing on 2nd with exactly one out, it doesn’t make much sense to steal 3rd. I’m sure he will eventually though. 

Agree that it doesn't make much sense to steal 3rd.

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

I believe the math just indicates that you need to be able to steal third at something like a 90-95% success rate (as opposed to 80ish percent for second base) for it to make sense...

Well, my point is that the math changes drastically depending on how many outs there are, with exactly one out being the situation yielding the highest reward for the potential risk. 

We are at Memorial Day and it’s time to draw a conclusion.

i like Byron, he’s fun, easy to root for and a good story. He’s a good baseball player when healthy and he’s proving it. He may get MVP votes and WAR out well. 

He is a fantasy afterthought and there’s no wheel of fortune turning in his favor. He’s buried in that lineup and it’s not gonna change. 

Better real life player than he will ever be in fantasy. He’s going to remain on my team. And he’s not going to really help a ton