Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, motown magic said:

Lottery ticket ? When was the last time you got a lottery ticket for free? When was the last time you won anything worth bragging about if you did win? Ain't nothing free pal. It will cost you one way or another.

Yes it will cost me 1 imaginary auction dollar or a 25th round draft pick where I can choose among such studs as Kevin Pillar and Curtis Granderson

God Bless america.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Yes it will cost me 1 imaginary auction dollar or a 25th round draft pick where I can choose among such studs as Kevin Pillar and Curtis Granderson

God Bless america.

In what universe is Byron Buxton going in round 25?

• Like 2

small the league the earlier he will go but in most of standard 12 team snakes voit, buxton, senzel are all going to be gone right around 150. I wouldn't expect to get any of them that far outside top 150

51 minutes ago, Jrod124 said:

Keeper league universe?  Obviously.

1 hour ago, Jrod124 said:

In the universe where you drafted him before ST began.  My fantasy baseball magazine has him parked near Kevin Pillar in the OF which is where I got the colorful comparison.  Also near his ranking are guys like Adam jones Brett Gardner and Jay Bruce  Of course Buxton can win a fantasy league for you and these other guys can not.

19 hours ago, Miketrout009 said:

I understand the 1,000 major leagues at-bats but to counter argue that. Buxton is 25. McMahan is 24. Not everyone becomes Mike Trout right away. It takes time and for others, it takes more time. Not to mention he was the #1 prospect of all baseball at one point. What we do know is he is young, added 21 pounds of muscle and is one and a half years ago, he had an outstanding second half. His strong spring brings optimism and hopes that he has the potential to turn it around, so spring training does matter. 

- Of course not everyone is Mike Trout right away.  He's not really "young" at 25 FYI.

- The #1 prospect of all baseball at one point means absolutely nothing at this point when you have 1,000 ML at-bats

- Adding muscle means one thing:  What he's done prior & trained etc. hasn't worked - he's trying to change what hasn't worked to salvage his career

- That "great second half" really was a 200 at-bat surge in 2017.  It's a good thing that he had that or his numbers would look even worse from a career perspective.

- A strong Spring means absolutely nothing at all, either.  Why does a strong Spring matter, at all?  It just means that he's been drilling pitching that either is going to end up in the minors, released, pitchers that are testing out new pitches or veterans that are just simply trying to get work in.

I mean - I HOPE the guy does figure it out.  He's an awfully exciting player if he could ever figure it out.  I'll leave it up to someone else to over draft him based on his previous pedigree from years ago & his strong Spring.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, lazershow said:

As the pitcherlist article points out, he's at 12% in 33 spring training ABs. Fangraphs says K rate tends to stabilize after 60 ABs. Not saying it's a sure thing, but it's too early to say a 25 year old, 1st overall draft pick "is what he is."

Fangraphs means regular season AB vs Major League pitchers, not spring training AB. So yes, spring training stats when it comes to K% mean little to nothing. 

16 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

In the universe where you drafted him before ST began.  My fantasy baseball magazine has him parked near Kevin Pillar in the OF which is where I got the colorful comparison.  Also near his ranking are guys like Adam jones Brett Gardner and Jay Bruce  Of course Buxton can win a fantasy league for you and these other guys can not.

Come on nobody has a fantasy baseball draft before spring training starts. 

I have one of those colorful magazines.. Rotoworld. Buxton is ranked in tier 4 with some nice players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ImHighandInside said:

Batting leadoff today and still on fire with a double out of the gate. 

We're supposed to be excited about him hitting leadoff in what's essentially an inter-squad game?

6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

We're supposed to be excited about him hitting leadoff in what's essentially an inter-squad game?

Speak for yourself.

The lineup looks a lot better with Buxton on top rather than Kepler. IMO 

7 minutes ago, ImHighandInside said:

Speak for yourself.

Looks good for fantasy. Not so sure about the best fit for the twins though.

29 minutes ago, ImHighandInside said:

Speak for yourself.

Buxton’s also been cemented at the bottom of the Twins batting order all spring training with exception of today.

10 minutes ago, quietj said:

Buxton’s also been cemented at the bottom of the Twins batting order all spring training with exception of today.

I would expect Buxton to open the season hitting 9th however if he continues his torrid spring once the regular season starts I would be surprised if he's not moved up to the top of the order hitting either 1st or 2nd before the end of April. I understand a lot of people have soured on him after being burned the past few years and while I wouldn't expect it but also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the twins best hitter this season.  While his floor is extremely low, his ceiling still remains pretty high and it wouldn't be shocking if he finally puts it all together with a break out season this year.  It will be interesting to watch regardless.

• Like 1

So far I like what I see from Bux. Faced really good starting pitching in the first series and only struck out twice. Approach looks much better than the beginning of last year. He doesn't look completely lost against breaking balls, like he has in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gopherman23 said:

So far I like what I see from Bux. Faced really good starting pitching in the first series and only struck out twice. Approach looks much better than the beginning of last year. He doesn't look completely lost against breaking balls, like he has in the past.

Yeah that is the key thing to take away from ST. He made some serious adjustments to his approach. So far, so good.

Development is seldom linear. I maybe naive, but I still think he can be a good fantasy asset. Gonna probably need to climb outta that 9 hole though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah that is the key thing to take away from ST. He made some serious adjustments to his approach. So far, so good.

Development is seldom linear. I maybe naive, but I still think he can be a good fantasy asset. Gonna probably need to climb outta that 9 hole though.

Time to move him up and also move up Astudillo (while playing him the majority of the time) if the Twins want some wins!!

Saw the update that he was removed with back pain. For those that we're watching, did it look to be a precautionary or did it look serious?

14 minutes ago, sharpee said:

Saw the update that he was removed with back pain. For those that we're watching, did it look to be a precautionary or did it look serious?

I’m wondering as well