Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I have to think Buxtom's numbers will be better.

he increased his FB% from 33.3% last season and 38.0 in 2017, to 52.9% this season.

he increased his launch angle from 12.7 last season and 11.8 in 2017, to 22.9 this season.

he increased his hard hit% from 30.2 last and 27.6 in 2017, season to 37.3 this season.

his strike outs are down from 29.8 last season and 29.4 in 2017, to 22.2 this season.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m waiting, he just can’t seem to get any traction, just when it seems he takes a step forward he slides right back to where he started. Batting 9th is hurting his development at this point and he would be much better off anywhere else in the lineup. I still am rooting for him but am never surprised to see 0-4 3K stat line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I’m waiting, he just can’t seem to get any traction, just when it seems he takes a step forward he slides right back to where he started. Batting 9th is hurting his development at this point and he would be much better off anywhere else in the lineup. I still am rooting for him but am never surprised to see 0-4 3K stat line.

 

Well, he's gone 0-4 with 3Ks exactly zero times this year. In fact, he only has one game with 3 Ks all season (way back on April 2nd, when he went 0-3 with 3 Ks). He only has 4 games with multiple Ks, but other than the aforementioned April 2nd game, the other three times he had 2 Ks he also contributed an XBH and at least 1 RBI:

 

April 10: 1-4, 2 Ks, 3B, RBI

April 18: 1-4, 2 Ks, 2B, RBI

April 20: 1-3, 2 Ks, BB, 2B, 2 RBI

 

He actually only has four 0-fers all year. He hasn't really "broken out" but he's been avoiding the type of hideous statlines that he used to be notorious for. 

 

(Cue his first 0-4, 3K line tomorrow)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I have to think Buxtom's numbers will be better.

he increased his FB% from 33.3% last season and 38.0 in 2017, to 52.9% this season.

he increased his launch angle from 12.7 last season and 11.8 in 2017, to 22.9 this season.

he increased his hard hit% from 30.2 last and 27.6 in 2017, season to 37.3 this season.

his strike outs are down from 29.8 last season and 29.4 in 2017, to 22.2 this season.

And his average exit velocity is up from 85.7 to 92.9. I’m usually skeptical of the “added 15 pounds of muscle” reports but it sure seems to be paying off for Buxton. The homers will come if he keeps hitting the ball that hard with a 50% FB rate. Right now he’s got 12 doubles, which puts him on pace to break the MLB single-season record for 2B early in August.

I’m not sure exactly what people are complaining about right now. He’s slashing 284/333/492. He’s going to start hitting HR. Batting 9th doesn’t help his R/RBI production but he’s still on course for about 70 of each. And most importantly, he’s on pace for 37 SB, the main reason he was drafted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah , ok 

 If you haven’t seen the classic original miracle on 34th St. one line that kept getting repeated over and over 

 I believe I believe I believe 

But of course it was a happy ending it was a movie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, mjb03003 said:

I kinda wish he would just pinch run. 0-0 with 1 R and 1 SB is a beautiful thing. I'll take 60 of those please. 

 

He did it again! A Buxton special. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And had lots of opportunity to do something else today and looked terrible in every other at bat. He is so frustrating to watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it looks like that new car smell is going away. Aweful quiet here with those owners praising their golden boy. Its already starting to happen

The last 10 games 5-27 with 1 RBI that on his 1 hr . 3 SB 8 K's His BA has dropped from .283 to .253. His OBP has dropped from .328 to .295. His Slugging has dropped from 517 to 458

Well he sucked you in for about 3 weeks .

Will the real Byron BUSTon please stand up.

Had to correct my post. He posted a triple today with an RBI going 1-4 . Those in leagues that count triples have to be peeing their pants

Edited by motown magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Well it looks like that new car smell is going away. Aweful quiet here with those owners praising their golden boy. Its already starting to happen

The last 10 games 5-27 with 1 RBI that on his 1 hr . 3 SB 8 K's His BA has dropped from .283 to .253. His OBP has dropped from .328 to .295. His Slugging has dropped from 517 to 458

Well he sucked you in for about 3 weeks .

Will the real Byron BUSTon please stand up.

Had to correct my post. He posted a triple today with an RBI going 1-4 . Those in leagues that count triples have to be peeing their pants

He keeps doing just enough to keep the interest alive. He may be the most talented Fantasy player of all time at "keepin the hope alive". The post-post-post-post-post hype sleeper. Yet hes my OF6 😕

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He keeps doing just enough to keep the interest alive. 

He might be a better in real life player than a fantasy one.  RBI triple today, run scored and some sterling plays in the outfield. 

Had a hit, stolen base and a run scored Wed night.  

He is a lot of fun to watch when he is on base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean the minute you cut him.. he will start hitting second and he will be a .300 ROS hitter 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

I mean the minute you cut him.. he will start hitting second and he will be a .300 ROS hitter 

 

this has literally been my fear for the past 2.5 years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean he’s hitting the ball really hard. His exit velocity is good. He sometimes does it off elite pitching but still the issues remain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, agreed. he also does look a lot more comfortable at the plate too. i honestly feel that he will improve as the season goes on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone even remotely consider cutting him? He has 7 SBs. He doesn't need to hit well to get value out of him. While having the back pocket upside a Dee Gordon/DeShields doesn't have.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He does have 13 doubles and 2 triples and hitting the ball hard so hes still showing the potential. The SBs will always be there and if he moves up, the Runs will fly up but lets start turning those doubles into a few more homers and gets out of the 9 hole, he'll be a really good fantasy player. .258 avg .783 ops 7 SBs. If he turns just 2 of those doubles into HRs, that ops gets over 800 and he looks a lot nicer. Hang in a lil longer guys(if you can).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Why would anyone even remotely consider cutting him? He has 7 SBs. He doesn't need to hit well to get value out of him. While having the back pocket upside a Dee Gordon/DeShields doesn't have.

 

In Points leagues his SBs aren't that big of a deal so in leagues like that he's cut worthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

 

In Points leagues his SBs aren't that big of a deal so in leagues like that he's cut worthy

This is kinda true, he would seem less valuable in these. I continue to keep him around as my OF4 in a 16 team points league...though SBs are heavily weighted in my system, so it makes him more palatable...just wish there was a path to get him outta the damn 9 hole...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again boys and girls. Look at the last 12 games which includes yesterday two hits.. He started out well but is going south .

7-33

1 hr

2 rbi

9 k's

You can say what you want about 7 steals but 3 of them came in the first week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, motown magic said:

Once again boys and girls. Look at the last 12 games which includes yesterday two hits.. He started out well but is going south .

7-33

1 hr

2 rbi

9 k's

You can say what you want about 7 steals but 3 of them came in the first week.

Thats true. Just trying to see positive signs. He may be 7-33 in the last 12 games but I would guess most of those were XBH. RBI's are a product of the 9hole. As long as hes in the 9hole, his ceiling is limited but the potential is definitely there imo. He has 24 hits and 16 of those have been XBH tho. Thats why people keep hanging on(or me at least). I also have a 10-deep bench to hang on longer. And to be mr positive, isnt only 9k's in 12 games good these days? lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Once again boys and girls. Look at the last 12 games which includes yesterday two hits.. He started out well but is going south .

7-33

1 hr

2 rbi

9 k's

You can say what you want about 7 steals but 3 of them came in the first week.

If he ends up hitting .245 with 70 runs, 7-8 homers, 50 rbi's and 35 SB's for the season then I'm happy considering where I got him, what I was expecting and how I'm able to use him. Barring any injuries I expect those numbers to be his floor this season. Expecting him to be a superstar was unreasonable considering what he's done in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

If he ends up hitting .245 with 70 runs, 7-8 homers, 50 rbi's and 35 SB's for the season then I'm happy considering where I got him, what I was expecting and how I'm able to use him. Barring any injuries I expect those numbers to be his floor this season. Expecting him to be a superstar was unreasonable considering what he's done in the past. 

I agree that given what people paid for him, those are tolerable stats but realistically you could probably have gotten more replacement value workin the wire. We are all hoping he just pops off which is a slim chance but he could still be a top 50 player for sure. His 500 AB pace as it currently sits is  .258 avg .783 ops 86 runs 5 hrs 59 rbis 37 sbs. And thats with hitting 9th. Those are definitely tolerable stats with the potential to be way better imo

Edited by Diezl528
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.