Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Kevin Gausman 2019 Outlook

My body is ready again. 

Had a 2.87 ERA and 1.14 WHIP with his new Braves team. He had another good second half after a rough first. I think the defensive improvement on his team makes him a much more attractive option than he was in Bal, let alone the easier division.

Should be an interesting 2019. Probably an SP5 to start

• Haha 3

Best thing that could have happened to him.  Plus he was traded for a bunch of peanuts.  He's going to have the best season of his career barring injuries in 2019.

Aw, it isn't the new fantasy baseball season until brockpapersizer starts the newest Kevin Gausman thread.  Now all is right with the world.  And maybe even with young Mr Gausman now that he has escaped Baltimore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

My body is ready again. 

Had a 2.87 ERA and 1.14 WHIP with his new Braves team. He had another good second half after a rough first. I think the defensive improvement on his team makes him a much more attractive option than he was in Bal, let alone the easier division.

Should be an interesting 2019. Probably an SP5 to start

Very appealing option...whats the word besides the obvious (leaving Baltimore go to Atlanta park, league, division, opponent bump)  the HR rate was down, so was the K rate and the walks were up.  My initial thought when I saw K's was maybe more "pitch to contact" early count approach/philosophy, but then the walks might suggest otherwise.  

Anyone have any insights on any changes in ATL or was it pretty much same guy just better park and weaker lineups?

Not sure why his K Rate sucks.  It was better before.  If he can combine a decent K rate with Atlanta’s better overall team than we have something.

His overall numbers with Atlanta look solid, but his last four starts weren't pretty....4.98 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, 11 BB, 18 K, in 21.2 IP. Whatever the reasons for those last four starts are, I'm still optimistic about his overall opportunity in Atlanta. He doesn't face the Yanks or BoSox in his own division. I figure the Phillies are going to be a pretty salty offense, but nothing like those two. He's minus the DH for the most part. 

I'm really not sure what kind of numbers he'll produce, but as an LSU and Braves fan, I'm excited for Kevin and the new opportunity in front of him...especially to be out of that SP hell-hole called Baltimore. 

No posts since Nov 2. Wow. 

Now that the calendar is close to flipping to March, what are thoughts on Gausman now, going into 2019? 

A lot of guys lumped into same category as him at ADP with similar upside.  His fastball is absolute piped meat on a tee.  Lifeless, gutless pitch that gets slaughtered.  The positive is his spilt finger found life again.  If he could get a variation on fastball there could be something here.  I still like him and think his best days are still ahead, I don’t see any massive ceiling though. 

Edited by Cmilne23

Any guy that is expected to have an ERA near 4 needs to strike out way more batters than Gausman does in order for me to even take a flier on. People keep mentioning how awesome he was after going to Atlanta but his SIERA was actually worse than it was in Baltimore. And so was his K rate.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I traded away my one Dynast share of him a few weeks ago, glad I did now. 

Uh oh...if brock is glad he sold a share of Gausman, then it's time for the rest of us to get out now. 

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Uh oh...if brock is glad he sold a share of Gausman, then it's time for the rest of us to get out now. 

Related image

I think he's a fine mid rotation starter when healthy, could have some good years, but the upside at this point isn't what it use to be. It's sad. Should have a long major league career though.

2 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Looked pretty good today.  Anyone still believe???

I think he'll have value, the upside probably isn't what it once was though. Upside is probably a top 30-40 pitcher but more likely 50-70

leave on waivers until June and hope for the strong 2nd half.

30 minutes ago, cr505436 said:

Pitching today?

It appears so, likely on a pitch count too.

Next start will be @ Colorado so very risky couple of starts.

• Like 1

Been way better since brock cut bait

Did evin find his long lost K? I know it’s Arizona, but a very promising start to 2019.

What do you guys think so far and ROS ?

He's pitched well and like others I think being in the NL and on a good team he has the stuff to have a good season. Seems to have more picked up where he left off last year for ATL. 

He's been dropped in my league.  I don't know where he goes from here but I think there's some upside.

5 hours ago, Call me Red said:

He's been dropped in my league.  I don't know where he goes from here but I think there's some upside.

Man, unless it’s a shallow league, Gausman is def valuable. Dude has a 1.00 WHIP