jfazz23

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

All the other Yankee players haven’t taken a situational approach from a general standpoint. The mantra is get guys on base and hit homeruns. This is reality. But again, you’re basically saying you’re confident Boone and the staff will help facilitate a new age where there’s a premium on a more three dimensional approach on offense. Even with the roster as presently constituted.

 

There’s this bridge about a mile from me I think you’ll love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

All the other Yankee players haven’t taken a situational approach from a general standpoint. The mantra is get guys on base and hit homeruns. This is reality. But again, you’re basically saying you’re confident Boone and the staff will help facilitate a new age where there’s a premium on a more three dimensional approach on offense. Even with the roster as presently constituted.

 

There’s this bridge about a mile from me I think you’ll love.

As I’ve already illustrated, the team plays situational ball - on occasion - and have had tremendous regular-season  success.  I don’t need the Brooklyn Bridge - what I need is some acknowledgement that you don’t know - as you sit on your couch watching the Yankees in the first week of April - how the presently constituted Yankees will strategize for the postseason.

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, my assertion was common knowledge to any fan worth their salt in the offseason, not just April. And as was pointed out on a few occasions already the baseball season is longest of all sports so you’ll always be able to find contrarian tendencies. (hence my Sanchez hustling remark)

 

And myself and others have already established (ad nauseum at this point) that the postseason is a different animal than the regular season for reasons that are obvious and not complicated in the slightest.

 

And you keep bringing up regular season success. So for I think a third time, if you’re content with regular season success as a Yankee fan then more power to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Again, my assertion was common knowledge to any fan worth their salt in the offseason, not just April. And as was pointed out on a few occasions already the baseball season is longest of all sports so you’ll always be able to find contrarian tendencies. (hence my Sanchez hustling remark)

 

And myself and others have already established (ad nauseum at this point) that the postseason is a different animal than the regular season for reasons that are obvious and not complicated in the slightest.

 

And you keep bringing up regular season success. So for I think a third time, if you’re content with regular season success as a Yankee fan then more power to you.

Respectfully, your assertion was that the Yankees would fail in October because they “completely lack” situational hitting skills.  I’m simply pointing out that, not only can they play situational ball, but also we have no idea what will happen in October as we sit here in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy came in the thread saying "Yankees only score hitting homeruns" as if they're all solo shots.  2 guys got on infront of Torres and then he put it in the seats. Yankees have a lot of high OBP guys.  It's not like they're a bunch of past their prime Adam Dunn's.  Get a grip.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

This guy came in the thread saying "Yankees only score hitting homeruns" as if they're all solo shots.  2 guys got on infront of Torres and then he put it in the seats. Yankees have a lot of high OBP guys.  It's not like they're a bunch of past their prime Adam Dunn's.  Get a grip.

 

“The mantra is get on base and hit homeruns.”

 

Said this literally minutes ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Respectfully, your assertion was that the Yankees would fail in October because they “completely lack” situational hitting skills.  I’m simply pointing out that, not only can they play situational ball, but also we have no idea what will happen in October as we sit here in April.

 

If there are lefty bats added in-season to add versatility to the lineup that’s a different story.  But you very much can predict what will happen with this lineup as presently constituted if they make it to October. Either a lot of homeruns or a lot of strikeouts with runners in scoring position.

 

Not that big of a leap.

Edited by Cheppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bird, Didi, Gardy, Hicks...how many lefty hitters do we need to add to have a chance in the postseason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

 

“The mantra is get on base and hit homeruns.”

 

Said this literally minutes ago. 

Pretty good mantra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Bird is a good situational hitter. He K's looking if guys on base to avoid the double play and K's swinging with the bases empty.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Greg Bird is a good situational hitter. He K's looking if guys on base to avoid the double play and K's swinging with the bases empty.

🤣 Yeah Bird is the epitome of a contact hitter. Hicks too.. 

 

And like someone mentioned earlier not really sure why Gardner is still on the team. My only guess is veteran presence cause even in his prime he’s never scored a 100 runs in a season. And I’d like to think even BMcP can agree that he’s well passed his prime. Though I wouldn’t bet on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cheppy said:

🤣 Yeah Bird is the epitome of a contact hitter. Hicks too.. 

 

And like someone mentioned earlier not really sure why Gardner is still on the team. My only guess is veteran presence cause even in his prime he’s never scored a 100 runs in a season. And I’d like to think even BMcP can agree that he’s well passed his prime. Though I wouldn’t bet on it.

If you can't even figure out why Gardner's on the team then there's no helping you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Pretty good mantra.

To pile up regular season stats. I have to say I felt really good about their regular season homerun record after the divisional round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Greg Bird is a good situational hitter. He K's looking if guys on base to avoid the double play and K's swinging with the bases empty.

Bird so far:  .222/.364

Voit? .167/.355

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

If you can't even figure out why Gardner's on the team then there's no helping you.

He’s 320 OBP last year was pretty sweet. Worthy of a roster spot for defense but definitely not hitting at the top of the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheppy said:

He’s 320 OBP last year was pretty sweet. Worthy of a roster spot for defense but definitely not hitting at the top of the lineup.

Gather your thoughts and then come back.  One post you say you can't figure out how he's on the team, next post you're changing your story to be about lineup construction.  You either are trolling or posting too much for someone who still has so much to learn.  If you're not a fan then find something better to do with your time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Bird so far:  .222/.364

Voit? .167/.355

I actually like Bird and still have hope for him. But again, he’s another player looking to go yard every time. 

 

And you can post regular season stats till you’re blue in the face. My concern is winning a 28th World Series Title not the regular season homerun record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

He’s 320 OBP last year was pretty sweet. Worthy of a roster spot for defense but definitely not hitting at the top of the lineup.

Take a look at his OBP over the previous two seasons and then return to this thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheppy said:

I actually like Bird and still have hope for him. But again, he’s another player looking to go yard every time. 

 

And you can post regular season stats till you’re blue in the face. My concern is winning a 28th World Series Title not the regular season homerun record.

And I’m borderline offended that you don’t seem to think I feel the same way.  Bird definitely does not look to go yard in every AB.  Even a casual observer would realize that he’s content with taking a walk or getting a single.  Voit, on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Gather your thoughts and then come back.  One post you say you can't figure out how he's on the team, next post you're changing your story to be about lineup construction.  You either are trolling or posting too much for someone who still has so much to learn.  If you're not a fan then find something better to do with your time.

I’m a fan that has objectivity and I’m very much gathered in my thoughts. Maybe you need to learn to not get so emotional. 

And my original comment was in regards to their lineup as presently constructed. (and I haven’t really deviated from that) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Take a look at his OBP over the previous two seasons and then return to this thread 

I’m not talking about the seasons previously, I’m talking about last year. Is last years a OBP a figment of my imagination? Is the fact that he’s never (i repeat never) scored a 100 runs in a season somehow untrue as well?

 

And mistake me if I’m wrong but he’s going into his 12th year correct?

 

Again, worthy of a roster spot but should not be counted on as much as he is.

 

Edited by Cheppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cheppy said:

I’m not talking about the seasons previously, I’m talking about last year. Is last years a OBP a figment of my imagination? Is the fact that he’s never (i repeat never) scored a 100 runs in a season somehow untrue as well?

 

And mistake me if I’m wrong but he’s going into hy12th year correct?

 

Again, worthy of a roster spot but should not be counted on as much as he is.

 

I quote you, with delicacy, only because I have to in order to respond.

His OBP, as I mentioned upthread, was still above average last year in what was by far his worst season in recent years in that category.

Again, just look upthread for my take on why Gardy is so valuable for this team, despite his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I quote you, with delicacy, only because I have to in order to respond.

His OBP, as I mentioned upthread, was still above average last year in what was by far his worst season in recent years in that category.

Again, just look upthread for my take on why Gardy is so valuable for this team, despite his age.

I agree that his value lies in defense and veteran presence. He’s fine but again, for someone in his 12 year he’s leaned on too much in my opinion. Agree to disagree on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Yankees!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...