jfazz23

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

He is paid big bucks to know.  How many mistakes with starters does he have to make before people realize he has not got a clue wrt their talent evaluation?  The only goodfree agent starter he has signed in the past roughly 2 decades has been Mussina and a blind man could have made that call.  Everyone else has anything from a disappointment to outright disaster.  But yeah, keep giving him a pass.

So by “good” you’re saying he needs to be a future Hall of Famer...got it.

I officially give up, you’re absolutely right.

my 2 Cents

yankees have sucked for several years at finding pitching, when i saw the paxton and Happ acquisitions i kinda chuckled like welp cant wait to see these two have rough years in New York haha

Bats they always find, its crazy how putting on a yankee jersey and playing in that little league park can cause randoms to breakout then leave and suck like usual (ive been a fan of voit and DJ so i dont really bunch them in that group i guess as i saw them being a nice bargains for any team)

but i don't think cashman deserves any credit, nor any heat this season, he made some moves, yea he coulda made better ones in most of our opinions pitching wise (typical right hah) but we do not really know for sure how those convos went when looking for pitching upgrades ya know

i suppose being the yankees it puts him under more scruitny which is to be expected, dont think id be praising him or dissapointed in him a this point tho, more so neutral

Would his moves be more impressive if they played in a major-league park?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

He is paid big bucks to know.  How many mistakes with starters does he have to make before people realize he has not got a clue wrt their talent evaluation?  The only goodfree agent starter he has signed in the past roughly 2 decades has been Mussina and a blind man could have made that call.  Everyone else has anything from a disappointment to outright disaster.  But yeah, keep giving him a pass.

I will agree with you about the New York Yankees inept pitching staff especially now when Houston just added Grienke. That Houston staff is dynamite, it’s a three head monster that I can’t any team beating them. Hindsight is a wonderful tool, but calling it after the fact is baloney. Going into the season I thought the Yankee starting staff had holes but I figured we wouldn’t be seeing this ineptness. With the Yankee offense and the staff of Severino, Tanaka, Happ, Paxton & German would be alright. Enough of Happ & CC is the damn problem. They are not. Happ was damn good three years prior to this year. He average 29 starts per year with an ERA at 3.45. 

35 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Yankee fans turning on each other before their season is even over, uh oh. Things must be looking bad over there.

No one is “turning on” each other.  We are having a debate - it’s kind of the raison d’être of these forums.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

Yankee fans turning on each other before their season is even over, uh oh. Things must be looking bad over there.

It’s just 0.1%’s debating things.  When you’ve got 900 World Series titles you can have more sophisticated debates.  Hopefully me and Mariner fans can talk about the one we won before I die.

• Haha 1

little league park...

its 408 in center and 399 in left center.  right field is short,  left field too  even right center isnt short at 385.  the ball does seem to jump there but its not like the yankees can control humidity or wind direction.  maybe the batters eye is really good too.  they have had the same dimensions for a long time...its like getting mad at boston for having the Monster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

little league park...

its 408 in center and 399 in left center.  right field is short,  left field too  even right center isnt short at 385.  the ball does seem to jump there but its not like the yankees can control humidity or wind direction.  maybe the batters eye is really good too.  they have had the same dimensions for a long time...its like getting mad at boston for having the Monster

I mean, Fenway is shorter to every field - do we discount everything DD has done now to improve the offense?

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I mean, Fenway is shorter to every field - do we discount everything DD has done now to improve the offense?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly in recent years but he spent big bucks improving the offense or via top prospects (JD - Mookie - Xander - Devers - Benny) and never really has some random guy become something like the yankees are very good at doing, yankees have Voit, urshella, DJ, Didi, etc etc etc that come to NY and all of a sudden perform much better, apples to oranges IMO there

Edited by kmoore1521

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly in recent years but he spent big bucks improving the offense or via top prospects (JD - Mookie - Xander - Devers - Benny) and never really have some random guy become something like the yankees are very good at doing, yankees have Voit, urshella, DJ, Didi, etc etc etc that come to NY and all of a sudden perform much better, apples to oranges IMO there

I’m just wondering what the park dimensions have to do with anything.

I mean, it’s not like every player to ever wear pinstripes became a hitting god.

Edited by BMcP

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m just wondering what the park dimensions have to do with anything.

I mean, it’s not like every player to ever wear pinstripes became a hitting god.

yea not saying anything like every hitter becomes a stud, just waaaay more than any other team, at least in my opinion, the yankees somehow turn duds into into really useful hitters, and when they leave......they become meh yet again, not saying the ballpark is a primary factor, but i dont think you can discount that as being a possible causation contributing to it 

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

yea not saying anything like every hitter becomes a stud, just waaaay more than any other team, at least in my opinion, the yankees somehow turn duds into into really useful hitters, and when they leave......they become meh yet again, not saying the ballpark is a primary factor, but i dont think you can discount that as being a possible causation contributing to it 

Sure, maybe hitters who can utilize RF well.  I just don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the efforts of a GM who has a proven skill at identifying under-appreciated hitting talents and acquiring them at bargain-basement prices just because of the dimensions of the park.  Apologies if I misinterpreted your comment.

Pitching has a price.  Yankees bought on Paxton, a dude coming off a great year for a price many people thought was low.  Sheffield showed up as a fat a**, got demoted to AA, Swanson is one of worst arms I’ve ever seen — no need to discuss further he has zero future in this league, the third guy I haven’t heard from all year - can only imagine how big of a loser he’s been.  

Yankees are picking their spots which is smart.  Some of you fans may think you’re entitled to winning a title each year because of how successful the Yankees have been.  But it’s pretty obvious Cashman has a plan and this window he has now is a 7+ year window.  You don’t need to blow your load anytime you’re competitive.  Stop thinking like your Stiffler.  Yankees are set up for another decade of success.  Whether they win it all this year, maybe not.  But I’d bet they get 3 in next 10.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Just now, BMcP said:

Sure, maybe hitters who can utilize RF well.  I just don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the efforts of a GM who has a proven skill at identifying under-appreciated hitting talents and acquiring them at bargain-basement prices just because of the dimensions of the park.  Apologies if I misinterpreted your comment.

Eh you didnt completely mis-interpret it so no worries man, and i am in no way saying he didnt do a great job on the hitting side of things, if anything my posts are reflecting admiration at his ability to find bargain bats, i scratch my head tho how they cant find pitchers because clearly they know what bats can handle to big lights of NY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Nearly 36-year-old starter who hadn’t been good for ages apart from a couple of bounce-back seasons on the Astros?  What were you just saying about 20/20 hindsight?

How many great starters does Tampa Bay have at the moment, exactly?  Round to the nearest five.

Huh? There was no high sight with Morton. He started trending upwards when his velocity increase with his K% way back in 2016 and he's been solid since. He had a literal talent change.

Being 36 means he was less likely to have the leverage to demand more years. High AAS, low years is right up a big market teams wheelhouse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Huh? There was no high sight with Morton. He started trending upwards when his velocity increase with his K% way back in 2016 and he's been solid since. He had a literal talent change.

Being 36 means he was less likely to have the leverage to demand more years. High AAS, low years is right up a big market teams wheelhouse.

I think it’s fairly common knowledge at this point that the Astros coax the best out of every starter who walks in the door.  Who’s to say that level continues with a different organization.  Or that a 35-year-old continues to defy all odds by throwing harder than he ever has in his entire career?  I also have no idea whether he had any interest in pitching outside of Florida, or to what extent Cashman tried to obtain him.

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

I think it’s fairly common knowledge at this point that the Astros coax the best out of every starter who walks in the door.  Who’s to say that level continues with a different organization.  Or that a 35-year-old continues to defy all odds by throwing harder than he ever has in his entire career?  I also have no idea whether he had any interest in pitching outside of Florida, or to what extent Cashman tried to obtain him.

btw.  horrible starter domingo German who the yankees totally didnt develop in line for his 16th win

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 2

The Yankees do have a pitching problem, and have seemed to for a while now.  I thought on paper going into the season they would be much better than they are now, but some guys simply haven't performed to their (even recent) norms, and some others have been injured.  The park is part of the problem I'd imagine (pitching wise) as is the general difficulty of pitching in the NY market (see Gray, Sonny).  That being said I'm not sure what Cashman could have done differently.  Morton's been great in TB but let's be honest, he's always injured and had a poor end to his Houston season.  He wasn't a slam dunk signing this offseason.  Certainly not a slam dunk over Happ who had performed well in the AL East for Toronto, and pitched well in NY after being acquired last year.  Happ has simply been a let down.  I can't blame Cashman for resigning him at the time.  The Paxton acquisition I wasn't a big fan off due to his injury history and home/road splits.  That I can blame Cashman for, but certainly no one thought the Big Maple would be this bad.  Time will tell if Sheffield becomes a good pro.  Other than that there didn't seem to be a lot available on the market.  Be it trade or FA.  

For all the gloom and doom surrounding the rotation, in actuality it’s been almost exactly average overall.  And Paxton and Tanaka have been on an upswing.  German has been consistently good all season (apart from injury).  They can compete in the PS with those three.

• Like 1

For all the gloom and doom surrounding the rotation, in actuality it’s been almost exactly average overall.  And Paxton and Tanaka have been on an upswing.  German has been consistently good all season (apart from injury).  They can compete in the PS with those three.

Not saying they CAN'T, but they REALLY need Severino to be ready to slot into a starter's role when he returns or at LEAST come PS time. I just don't think that Tanaka/German/Paxton will be able to compete when going up against Cole/Verlander/Grienke, or the likes of the bats of Cleveland or Minnesota.

Edited by MSkibisky

7 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Not saying they CAN'T, but they REALLY need Severino to be ready to slot into a starter's role when he returns or at LEAST come PS time. I just don't think that Tanaka/German/Paxton will be able to compete when going up against Cole/Verlander/Grienke, or the likes of the bats of Cleveland or Minnesota.

Sevy should be ready by then.  He’s due to face live hitters by the end of this week.

Sevy should be ready by then.  He’s due to face live hitters by the end of this week.

ESPN stated that if he returns by the end of the reg season, he is expected to fill a relief role. I can't imagine that would be the case come PS.

14 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

ESPN stated that if he returns by the end of the reg season, he is expected to fill a relief role. I can't imagine that would be the case come PS.

Right.  I would expect him to be available to start in the PS.