jfazz23

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

I said they are slightly closer but there's "still a lot to do" for any deal to happen.  Not exactly close but they have been progressing.  From what I hear, they've agreed on the first player that the Yankees would send to the Tribe.  They're working out what other players would be included.

where have you heard this??  hey man im on board with kluber or carrasco....id still sign corbin if possible tho.  at the very least Happ.

any speculation on who the first player is?

Edited by jfazz23

29 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

where have you heard this??  hey man im on board with kluber or carrasco....id still sign corbin if possible tho.  at the very least Happ.

It was just a tweet from Jon Heyman:

It's all speculation. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Lookup Simonetti Source on Youtube and Twitter.  He has been pretty reliable when it comes to Yankees news.  Jack Curry has even gave him props publically on twitter.

He's who I got this from and he's been right many times in the past.  He doesn't reveal his sources, but he's said in the past it comes from "family."   And its important to note that your Jon Heymans, Joel Shermans, etc. are not sources but just reporters who never really reveal where they're getting information.  Jon Heyman especially I feel has fallen off in getting good info from sources.  These guys just built a reputation from being right often and having jobs with YES, NY Post, MLBN, etc. to add to their credibility.

Is truly gauging the prospects of any team a legitimate exercise before Free Agency has really gotten going and we're still 3 weeks away from the winter meetings? 

Edited by kwolf68

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Is truly gauging the prospects of any team a legitimate exercise before Free Agency has really gotten going and we're still 3 weeks away from the winter meetings? 

Yes, you don't want to be stuck overspending on free agents that you aren't that crazy about.  Have to let teams know you're seriously interested so they don't go trade with someone else.  They aren't just going to wait around for you.

Yankees also want to add 2 SP, so 1 via trade and then look to sign Corbin is the ideal.

7 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Early bird gets the worm.  And every team "gauges" the prospects of other teams 24/7 365 days a year.  And better to make a trade BEFORE all the free agents are signed and trading is the only avenue open to a team than after that happens.  Then the price in prospects really really goes up.

What do my fellow Yankee fans think is going to happen next? Paxton deal was great for us (imo). You guys think we empty the tank on another SP? I do....Id love to get Thor. I can see that plus the addition of one/both of Manny/Harper would put us as the favorite to win it all. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What do my fellow Yankee fans think is going to happen next? Paxton deal was great for us (imo). You guys think we empty the tank on another SP? I do....Id love to get Thor. I can see that plus the addition of one/both of Manny/Harper would put us as the favorite to win it all. 

as much as id love kluber or something.  i think they go Corbin or Happ.  and then they sign  bullpen arms like roberston/miller.  gives us a big time rotation and the top bullpen again.

i would then play it safe with the offense and just go with someone like niel walker or if you can get him for 1 year, daniel murphy.  avoid machado and harper.  let the phillies or dodgers or whoever worry about them

• Like 1

if 1b is a black hole for them again, they can try and trade for Jose Abreu, Carlos Santana or Paul Goldschmidt during the year.

i mean they can call about those guys now if they want....but imnot opposed to letting Voit and even bird compete in spring training and having Walker or murphy for a little 1b/2b action

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

as much as id love kluber or something.  i think they go Corbin or Happ.  and then they sign  bullpen arms like roberston/miller.  gives us a big time rotation and the top bullpen again.

i would then play it safe with the offense and just go with someone like niel walker or if you can get him for 1 year, daniel murphy.  avoid machado and harper.  let the phillies or dodgers or whoever worry about them

If the Yanks dont wind up getting one of Machado/Harper ill pay pal you $50. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would sign Corbin and/or Happ.

Bring back Robertson, and another RP if they feel the need, Miller, Britton, Ottavino, but I don't see them paying big for two .

I would still consider signing Machado and/or Harper, but in any event, I would not sign or trade for a 1B.  I would tell Andujar, Stanton, and Judge, (and Harper if they sign him) to come to ST ready to workout some at 1B to increase their versatility and the overall flexibility of the roster, thus also creating insurance for Bird/Voit, and a place to get more AB's if they do add one or two of the big two.  If they sign one of them, they have to go over the LT, so at that point I say just sign both, put Harper in LF, Gardner as the 4th OF, Machado at SS until Didi gets back, and then move Andujar to 1B.  If Bird, Voit, Andjuar, and Frazier all show to be MLB worthy, then they have trade options at the deadline.

I would trade Gray for a SP they can stash in AAA because they lost depth with the trade of Sheffield, who probably would have been their best option if a long term need opens up in the rotation during the season.  That's the main reason I would have preferred simply signing both Corbin and Happ as opposed to trading away Sheffield, because they lose that non-25 man depth.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

I would sign Corbin and/or Happ.

Bring back Robertson, and another RP if they feel the need, Miller, Britton, Ottavino, but I don't see them paying big for two .

I would still consider signing Machado and/or Harper, but in any event, I would not sign or trade for a 1B.  I would tell Andujar, Stanton, and Judge, (and Harper if they sign him) to come to ST ready to workout some at 1B to increase their versatility and the overall flexibility of the roster, thus also creating insurance for Bird/Voit, and a place to get more AB's if they do add one or two of the big two.  If they sign one of them, they have to go over the LT, so at that point I say just sign both, put Harper in LF, Gardner as the 4th OF, Machado at SS until Didi gets back, and then move Andujar to 1B.  If Bird, Voit, Andjuar, and Frazier all show to be MLB worthy, then they have trade options at the deadline.

I would trade Gray for a SP they can stash in AAA because they lost depth with the trade of Sheffield, who probably would have been their best option if a long term need opens up in the rotation during the season.  That's the main reason I would have preferred simply signing both Corbin and Happ as opposed to trading away Sheffield, because they lose that non-25 man depth.

ya i like this this alot...but im not big on machado or harper.  if andujar cant play third they can go after arenado next year

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

ya i like this this alot...but im not big on machado or harper.  if andujar cant play third they can go after arenado next year

I like Arenado, I've owned him every season of his career, but he's a year older than Harper and Machado, will be two years older than they are now when he hits free agency, and will probably be looking for a similar contract.  I also worry he won't really be the same hitter outside of Coors, but he'll get paid for that past performance.  His numbers are eerily similar to Anthony Rendon and Rendon doesn't benefit from the Coors effect, so it makes sense to say he will be a lesser bat than Rendon when he leaves Coors, which is still good, but not what you want to give $25M-$30M per.  I think Harper and Machado are better investments at that tier.

Edited by TopChuckie
ETA: I would find it much easier to root for Arenado, than Machado or Harper.

3 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

I like Arenado, I've owned him every season of his career, but he's a year older than Harper and Machado, will be two years older than they are now when he hits free agency, and will probably be looking for a similar contract.  I also worry he won't really be the same hitter outside of Coors, but he'll get paid for that past performance.  His numbers are eerily similar to Anthony Rendon and Rendon doesn't benefit from the Coors effect, so it makes sense to say he will be a lesser bat than Rendon when he leaves Coors, which is still good, but not what you want to give $25M-$30M per.  I think Harper and Machado are better investments at that tier.

he has a better road OPS Than machado tho...niether is particularly good on the road...sub 800 OPS

24 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

I kinda think Arenado only gets paid a ton by Colorado and everyone else devalues his past performance because of Coors. I dont think Arenado gets 200 million from a team outside of Colorado. 

• Like 1

Need to get young, give the kids a chance. Had some great results with Judge, Sanchez, Torres & Andujar. The one failure was Greg Bird. 

I did not like the Sheffield trade. 

I also didn’t care for the Stanton trade, that contract is going to hurt like ARod’s.  

The Yankees need to stay away from Machado/Harper. 

They don’t need Arenado they have Andujar 

sign one or two since we already traded for Paxton

Corbin, Happ or Evoldi 

A rotation of 

Severino, Tanaka, CC, Paxton (Montgomery) 

we shall see 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Need to get young, give the kids a chance. Had some great results with Judge, Sanchez, Torres & Andujar. The one failure was Greg Bird. 

I did not like the Sheffield trade. 

I also didn’t care for the Stanton trade, that contract is going to hurt like ARod’s.  

The Yankees need to stay away from Machado/Harper. 

They don’t need Arenado they have Andujar 

sign one or two since we already traded for Paxton

Corbin, Happ or Evoldi 

A rotation of 

Severino, Tanaka, CC, Paxton (Montgomery) 

we shall see 

i agree with brock, the PAxton trade was GREAT.  not good...but GREAT.

i wasnt in love with stanton (would prefer Harper slightly), but he was a 28 year old MVP that they got for free.  the contract takes him through his age 37 season in 2027 and Miami is paying for 1 year.  so really the contract is through his age 36 season....much different than Arod (through age 41).  not to mention he hit 38/100 in his first year which is very similar to arods first year.  arod then proceeded to hit 47 homers in year 2 and win the mvp.

agree on staying away from machado/harper

if andujar cant improve fielding im not sure you can keep him at 3rd as he gets older

and i agree they just need to sign happ or corbin and then a few bullpen arms.  they have to sign an infielder for 1 year like niel walker or daniel murphy as well.

Yankees may still sign Machado, I’m sure Cashman will wait to see how the market plays out, but the real need for them is pitching.

Signing Corbin, and possibly Happ or someone similar, while bolstering the bullpen should be the main priority.

Although, I could see signing a super-utility player like Marwin Gonzalez as extremely beneficial, he could handle SS while DIdi is out, and be insurance for Voit at 1B.

So Corbin visited the Phillies yesterday, Nats today, and Yanks tomorrow, and I haven't seen any rumors about additional team visits.  He has also said he wanted to wrap up his free agency quickly.  I'm going to optimistically read between the lines and hypothesize the Yanks are his preferred choice, he figured he'd visit is a couple other teams first just to see if they were able to sweep him off his feet, and to create a little leverage, but knew that barring anything unexpected, the Yanks were where he wanted to end up so he scheduled them last so he had all the necessary info before making the choice he expected to make all along.

• Like 1

Anyone think Sonny Gray, Justis Sheffield, and Estevan Florial for Noah Syndergaard would have been a better offer than what the Mets will end up getting, if anything?  Do you think the Yanks would have done that?  Do you think it would have worked out better than acquiring Paxton, whatever they get for Gray, and I assume keeping Florial?

37 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

Anyone think Sonny Gray, Justis Sheffield, and Estevan Florial for Noah Syndergaard would have been a better offer than what the Mets will end up getting, if anything?  Do you think the Yanks would have done that?  Do you think it would have worked out better than acquiring Paxton, whatever they get for Gray, and I assume keeping Florial?

mets dont trade with the yanks.  but i woulda made that trade (as a yanks fan) in a second.  but i dont think its enough.  ur gonna want a top 10 prospect for thor

Thought Bumgarner would of been a target as Giants and Yanks would seem to have been decent trade partners.  My guess is that either some teams based on some of Bums peripherals are not that interested or the Giants price is too high.  Would Yankee fans rather of had Bum than Pax?  At this point I think I would prefer Paxton. 

48 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Thought Bumgarner would of been a target as Giants and Yanks would seem to have been decent trade partners.  My guess is that either some teams based on some of Bums peripherals are not that interested or the Giants price is too high.  Would Yankee fans rather of had Bum than Pax?  At this point I think I would prefer Paxton. 

pax easy

think madbums best is behind him. and id rather sign corbin or happ than trade for madbum too.

only trade id make at this point is for paul goldschmidt 

Edited by jfazz23