jfazz23

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook

On 1/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, jfazz23 said:

ya and its got them judge, torres, andujar, severino, sanchez...exactly how the mid 90s team were built

not to mention they got Stanton and a 300+mil contract.

you are greatly exaggerating the yankees "saving money".  they are just no longer giving Arod 10 years or ellsbury 7

This makes literally no sense. They could've added plenty of FAs and still had the same core they have intact right now. Do some research into how and when the Yankees drafted/signed those guys you mentioned.

Anyways, the idea is to spend money while that young core is in place and in their prime. The window closes fast and as long as the Yankees continue passing up on signing really good players, the smaller their margin of error becomes. That's why the Red Sox have lapped them... they've made mistakes in free agency in recent years but they're outspending the Yankees to the point where they can afford to make those mistakes and still own the Yankees. It's really not complicated.

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

This makes literally no sense. They could've added plenty of FAs and still had the same core they have intact right now. Do some research into how and when the Yankees drafted/signed those guys you mentioned.

Anyways, the idea is to spend money while that young core is in place and in their prime. The window closes fast and as long as the Yankees continue passing up on signing really good players, the smaller their margin of error becomes. That's why the Red Sox have lapped them... they've made mistakes in free agency in recent years but they're outspending the Yankees to the point where they can afford to make those mistakes and still own the Yankees. It's really not complicated.

what BIG signings have the sox done to "lap them"? you really think overpaying david price put them ahead of the yankees? or was it pablo sandavol, rusney castillo or carl crawford???   the JDM contract is excellent because its 5 years, not 10.  

the sox team is basically home grown talent (betts, boagarts, bennie,jbj,devers) 1 FA (JDM) and 1 big trade (sale).  then a few smart signings like eovaldi, porcello, mooreland and pearce.

sox arent winning because they are signing guys to 10 year deals....they are honestly winning despite some awful FA signings. (see above

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright Yankee fans...should I draft Clint Frazier? He's cheap and available in my dynasty league. I just don't know what his outlook is for 2019. Plays for Yankees and gets enough ABs to be relevant? Traded? 

What do you guys think?

20 minutes ago, dcs_james said:

Alright Yankee fans...should I draft Clint Frazier? He's cheap and available in my dynasty league. I just don't know what his outlook is for 2019. Plays for Yankees and gets enough ABs to be relevant? Traded? 

What do you guys think?

i think they will give him a chance if hes healthy in spring.  gardner will be a 4th of and pinch runner/defensive replacement

On 1/22/2019 at 10:35 AM, jfazz23 said:

what BIG signings have the sox done to "lap them"? you really think overpaying david price put them ahead of the yankees? or was it pablo sandavol, rusney castillo or carl crawford???   the JDM contract is excellent because its 5 years, not 10.  

the sox team is basically home grown talent (betts, boagarts, bennie,jbj,devers) 1 FA (JDM) and 1 big trade (sale).  then a few smart signings like eovaldi, porcello, mooreland and pearce.

sox arent winning because they are signing guys to 10 year deals....they are honestly winning despite some awful FA signings. (see above

Correct the Sox have been very smart ... one thing wrong Porcello came over in a trade, then sign to that contract. 

It seems by all his posts he wants the Yankees to sign every high price FA batter to 10 year contracts and give every FA pitcher one extra year. 

8 hours ago, dcs_james said:

What do you guys think?

Frazier is a must draft player in any dynasty league. 

My thought— Nobody knows his outlook I think it comes down to what happens in spring training who hits or who doesn’t. Judge & Stanton is guaranteed starting spots. It will come down to Hicks, Gardner & Frazier for the 2 OF spots. Could this be a Jacoby year? lol 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Correct the Sox have been very smart ... one thing wrong Porcello came over in a trade, then sign to that contract. 

It seems by all his posts he wants the Yankees to sign every high price FA batter to 10 year contracts and give every FA pitcher one extra year. 

Frazier is a must draft player in any dynasty league. 

My thought— Nobody knows his outlook I think it comes down to what happens in spring training who hits or who doesn’t. Judge & Stanton is guaranteed starting spots. It will come down to Hicks, Gardner & Frazier for the 2 OF spots. Could this be a Jacoby year? lol 

ya i mean i wanted corbin for 5 years.  but hes 30 and i dont know how he would fare in NYY.  he my be another burnett or pavano but for 130 mil

harper doesnt fit with stanton/judge on the team

and if machado wants 10+ years id rather give andujar another year at 3rd and talk 5 year extension with Didi.  If not, then maybe we make an offer on Arenado next year.  Id also like to give Voit and Bird 1 more year to see if we have a 1b of the future.

Edited by jfazz23

Hicks just got a 7 year extension at 70 Million. Horrendous move by the Yanks IMO. Not sure why they would sign ANYONE until they're 37 years old. Especially an injury prone guy like Hicks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Hicks just got a 7 year extension at 70 Million. Horrendous move by the Yanks IMO. Not sure why they would sign ANYONE until they're 37 years old. Especially an injury prone guy like Hicks

ya, 4 or 5 years woulda  made more sense.  but the AAV is low so i guess thats why.  they can just cut the last 2 years if needed.

hes also 29 all season, not 30. so hell be 36 the last year i believe

Edited by jfazz23

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yeah the years are a bit much but to be fair, the amount of money per year is great for the Yankees. 4-5 years at 70mil seems like what he would get right now if he were to hit the free agent market. So it's like the Yankees got 2-3 free years out of him, and as jfazz said, they could just cut him at that point if it's not working out.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, Dirty Little Birdie said:

37?  Way too young - extension at 57.

(I’m trying to be charitable by assuming this was a poor stab at humor.)

Edited by BMcP

Zach Kram, The Ringer: The Yankees Still Think They’re a Death Star. But They’re Not Acting Like One.

Over the past half-decade, New York has vastly improved its ability to develop those good young players. In 2014, Baseball America ranked the Yankees’ minor league system 18th, writing in its yearly handbook, “It’s hard to find a system that had a worse 2013,” but thanks to shrewd trades and enhanced player instruction, especially for pitchers, the club’s minor league outlook underwent a rapid transformation. BA ranked the Yankees’ system third in 2017 and second in 2018—the farm’s best since it was no. 1 overall in 2000.

But why not both? Why can’t the Yankees excel on the player development side and amass a large payroll? Wouldn’t developmental success stories like Judge look even better supplemented by free-agent swings like Machado? It’s not as if high-priced additions would inhibit continued player growth at the lower levels. For years, New York’s brain trust had implied that Operation Luxury Tax was designed to reset the tax rates to make future splurges more palatable. Steinbrenner asked Yankee fans to trust him: Let us duck under one time, and we’ll have even more reason to spend like the Yankees of old.

[...]

All of which brings to mind the aphorism from Andrew Friedman, Dodgers president of baseball operations: “If you’re always rational about every free agent, you will finish third on every free agent.” Or, in the Yankees’ apparent case this winter, you won’t even finish in the running at all.

[...]

This is an organization that adopted the “Evil Empire” moniker with glee, at one point going so far as to argue in trademark court that they are baseball’s one true Evil Empire. Cashman continued the metaphor this winter when he called his current squad a “fully operational Death Star.” If that club can’t embrace its destiny and spend like the richest and most powerful team in the galaxy, where does that leave the rest of the sport?

And where does it leave the Yankees? They’re not spending like they can, as they raise ticket prices and see profits expand, and after letting Machado and Harper sign elsewhere mostly un-wooed by New York, it’s unclear which player can convince them to start spending like George Steinbrenner’s team again. And as the pinstriped players set out to win their first AL East banner since 2012 and their first World Series trophy in a decade, fans can only hope that change won’t prevent them from winning like George’s Yankees again, too.

• Like 1

Good piece that touches on a lot of what is wrong with how the Yankees are doing things these days. When you have a championship window, meaning your best players are all young, in their prime and cost controlled, that's the time to scale up the spending, not scale it down. And the fact that Hal and Cashman tried to pull the carpet out from under the fans with the "once we get under the luxury tax, the reins will be off and we'll really spend" is especially frustrating. 

Doesn't mean they can't win it all this year, just means they haven't maximized their chances to do so when all it would've cost is money (which they basically print).

• Like 1

Particularly when the Severino and Hicks extensions have shown that they can lock up core players for pretty reasonable sums. So the whole saving pennies to keep the kids excuse also doesn't really fly.

• Like 1

The only FA that made a lot of sense was Machado. Harper is not better than Hicks as a CF. He's not better than Judge as a RF. You're not going to get a lot of marginal utility by signing him. You might even take a step back. Harper was a complete non-starter. 

Cashman could have signed Corbin but instead he got Paxton who only makes 8M. Perhaps it would have been better if Paxton made more money. I don't know. 

Ottavino and LeMahieu were both great deals. Again maybe it would be better if they made more money. 

There's only so many roster spots available to you. If they're filled with guys like Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Didi, Voit, Bird, Hicks, Andujar, on min contracts then what can you do? Petition to enlarge your roster to 30 so you can sign more guys? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dod959 said:

The only FA that made a lot of sense was Machado. Harper is not better than Hicks as a CF. He's not better than Judge as a RF. You're not going to get a lot of marginal utility by signing him. You might even take a step back. Harper was a complete non-starter. 

Cashman could have signed Corbin but instead he got Paxton who only makes 8M. Perhaps it would have been better if Paxton made more money. I don't know. 

Ottavino and LeMahieu were both great deals. Again maybe it would be better if they made more money. 

There's only so many roster spots available to you. If they're filled with guys like Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Didi, Voit, Bird, Hicks, Andujar, on min contracts then what can you do? Petition to enlarge your roster to 30 so you can sign more guys? 

He gave up assets for Paxton. Valuable ones. Could've gotten Corbin for just $. That's the key difference.

And if you don't think adding Bryce Harper would've made them a better team, I really don't know what to say.

28 minutes ago, dod959 said:

You might even take a step back. Harper was a complete non-starter. 

3.5 fWAR in a bad year, worth close to 27 million last year alone.  Take a very big step back!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

3.5 fWAR in a bad year, worth close to 27 million last year alone.  Take a very big step back!

Well that's worse than all of their OFs so... I mean..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Well that's worse than all of their OFs so... I mean..

Thats true, not counting Gardner.  Probably still an upgrade for them because of a DH spot, and I would take the over on what he did last year. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Pat Corbin would've been nice right about now.

SO glad these are the sensible, save every penny possible Yanks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Pat Corbin would've been nice right about now.

SO glad these are the sensible, save every penny possible Yanks. 

ya. every team should overpay a pitcher just in case their ace gets hurt...

Just now, jfazz23 said:

ya. every team should overpay a pitcher just in case their ace gets hurt...

If any team needed to overpay for a potential ace, it's the Yankees. 

If any team could AFFORD to overpay for a potential ace, it's the Yankees. 

If Sevy goes down I'm less than optimistic they go far in the playoffs, assuming they get passed the WC round once again. 

Just once in my life I'd kill to see a very good Yankee rotation. It's been the organization's biggest failure for the past decade or so. 

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

If any team needed to overpay for a potential ace, it's the Yankees. 

If any team could AFFORD to overpay for a potential ace, it's the Yankees. 

If Sevy goes down I'm less than optimistic they go far in the playoffs, assuming they get passed the WC round once again. 

Just once in my life I'd kill to see a very good Yankee rotation. It's been the organization's biggest failure for the past decade or so. 

Eh next offseason there's a lot of good arms they can buy.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

Imagine if they get Gerrit Cole next season! What's his contract going to look like? i'll say 7/170