Slatykamora

David Dahl 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Can you post a link to that? That doesn’t sound accurate to me. His 2017 stress reaction was to his 6th rib and presented as pain in his back. Stress reactions build up slowly over time. This sounds like it was lower abdominal pain that presented acutely, which would be quite different.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/rockies-david-dahl-out-as-expected/amp/

• Thanks 1

So expecting a long stint with Tapia in his place, is reasonable?

Buddy says he likely needs a dL stint...I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I mean, wouldn't you rather have this and have an open roster spot? Instead of having him miss 5-7 days not on the DL and not having an open roster spot? Or are you just here to whine?

If those were the only two scenarios possible then yes, an IL stint is preferred.  I was hoping he'd miss 2-3 days and come back @SF.

• Like 1

Just now, Wytchclt55 said:

If those were the only two scenarios possible then yes, an IL stint is preferred.  I was hoping he'd miss 2-3 days and come back @SF.

Yea, I'm sure we all were, but I also knew that was probably a slim chance. But I am fine with the Rockies playing it cautiously and not rushing him back. We dodged a serious injury from the looks of it. It's a long season.

• Like 1

I know this is Dahl's thread ( but this is pertinent to his injury situation) , is Tapia a suitable replacement?

This poor guy.  Injury prone.  There's no other word for it.   Potential is just potential if he's never on the field (I know, duh)

Likely needs IL stint
April 9, 2019
Manager Bud Black said Tuesday that Dahl (abdomen) will likely require a stint on the 10-day injured list, Jim Duquette of Sirius XM Radio reports.
ANALYSIS
The Rockies labeled Dahl as day-to-day after he exited Sunday's game against the Dodgers with what was described as a "slight" core injury in the lower-abdominal/oblique area, but it now sounds like the team plans to hold him out at least through the middle of next week. Given that oblique injuries can often linger, it probably makes sense for the Rockies to give Dahl some time to heal up rather than having him play through the issue at less than 100 percent. Black expressed optimism that Dahl will be sidelined for the minimum amount of time, but the Rockies probably won't hone in on a target return date for the outfielder until he resumes swinging again without discomfort. Expect the team to officially place Dahl on the IL prior to Tuesday's game against the Braves. Raimel Tapia should see the bulk of the action in left field while Dahl is out.

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

If he's on the IL for the minimum 10 days that lines him up for a return on the 18th if it's retroactive to yesterday.  Therefore, the silver lining in all this is he misses vs. a lefty today (Fried) and he's on the road @SF and @SD from 4/11-4/16 then day off 4/17.  That's not that bad at all if you ask me and might be a blessing in disguise. Especially for how bad the Rockies hit on the road, let alone those two pitcher friendly parks, and he'll be rested and not trying to play through it during that time.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 2

This is all assuming it's the minimum. The reality is this is David Dahl.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nlm said:

This is all assuming it's the minimum. The reality is this is David Dahl.

Very true. Core muscle injuries for hitters can be tricky and Dahl hasn’t exactly proven to be a quick healer. I’m expecting a 4-6 week timeline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Very true. Core muscle injuries for hitters can be tricky and Dahl hasn’t exactly proven to be a quick healer. I’m expecting a 4-6 week timeline.

And hasn't Dahl dealt with core muscle injuries in the past?

1 hour ago, nlm said:

He has. The dude has talent and potential, but he is the next Troy Tulowitzki in the making. 

3 hours ago, nlm said:

Yes but not very well. Heals at the speed of an 80 yr old. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Based on everything we've seen from Dahl over the years, it would absolutely stun me if he return after the minimum 10 days

Even if he does come back (which i too am skeptical about) he hurt himself enough to miss 10 days by swinging a bat.  Any ding,sprain, scrape will clog up a roster spot for a few weeks. A serious injury will be cripling. He pretty much has to hit like a top 20 OF to make him worth rostering.

Scheduled to play a spring training game tomorrow:

And in positional injury news, outfielder David Dahl (left-side core injury) is inching closer to returning. His 10-day I.L. stint is up April 18, and he’s scheduled to play in an extended spring training game on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Activated. Enjoy the next week while he's healthy.

You KNOW the year you DONT  have him,he’s going to get the triple crown over 650 ab’s right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is everyone's thoughts on him now for the long term? He seems to never really have any big games. Ready to cut him loose.

6 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

What is everyone's thoughts on him now for the long term? He seems to never really have any big games. Ready to cut him loose.

He is batting .303 with an .874 OPS and is on a 160 game pace of 85 runs, 17 HR, 74 RBI, 5 SB and hasn't gotten hot yet.  I'd happily scoop him up in about every format and see his performance as having upside (for example, he hit 16 HR in 77 games last year).

• Thanks 1