Flyman75

Adalberto Mondesi 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, bgar15 said:

Speed guys are typically more contact-based hitters, which yields less strikeouts over the course of the season. It's not that hard guys.

Not in this new day and age where lift is everything and no one chokes up ever.

And even in the pre-lift era that wasn't true of Billy Hamilton much.

3 hours ago, bgar15 said:

Speed guys are typically more contact-based hitters, which yields less strikeouts over the course of the season. It's not that hard guys.

No reason to be combative, man. Speed has literally NOTHING to do with contact ability...It's not that hard, man...

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not in this new day and age where lift is everything and no one chokes up ever.

And even in the pre-lift era that wasn't true of Billy Hamilton much.

b ham had no business playing mlb baseball. his speed/glove was so elite that it made up for his inability to hit.

but see dee Gordon, ben revere, juan pierre, Roberts, luis Castillo ect.

23 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Speed doesn't help you make contact and save you from strikeouts.  Speed saves you from slow grounders you can beat out but you have to make contact for that to happen.

Guy is just in a slump.  Bench him until he starts making contact again and all is good.

I really hope 0 people took this advice.

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Speed has literally NOTHING to do with contact ability. It's not that hard, man.

no but you get a good amount of infield singles and the benefit of doubt on close scoring decisions.

dee and jean had 40 infield knocks last year. that helps the avg

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

no but you get a good amount of infield singles and the benefit of doubt on close scoring decisions.

dee and jean had 40 infield knocks last year. that helps the avg

This comment: "its amazing how a speed guy like him can go down by the way of the K so often" implies that speed guys should have less Ks because they are speed guys. That makes no sense whatsoever.

The debate had nothing to do with speed guys being able to get infield singles to boost the average. Isn't that common sense?

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Correct. Speed helps you get some infield singles. That might one of the most obvious comments I've seen in a while,

This comment: "its amazing how a speed guy like him can go down by the way of the K so often" implies that speed guys should have less Ks because they are speed guys. That makes no sense whatsoever.

no, if you read my other post its kinda accurate. outside b ham the speed guys make decent contact  

Edited by colepenhagen

34 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

no, if you read my other post its kinda accurate. outside b ham the speed guys make decent contact  

Yeah but the way you implied it was that speed helps with contact ability. No. That's just a correlation but not a causation. That wouldn't explain Buxton and Mallex Smith last year. And thats what the other dude is saying. Speed has nothing to do with batting contact. BUT speed can help stretch out your hits and make up for poorer contact. You have to be able to hit to run and show off your speed. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Yeah but the way you implied it was that speed helps with contact ability. No. That's just a correlation but not a causation. That wouldn't explain Buxton and Mallex Smith last year. And thats what the other dude is saying. Speed has nothing to do with batting contact. BUT speed can help stretch out your hits and make up for poorer contact. You have to be able to hit to run and show off your speed. 

the pt. he was making is that the majority of baseball players who have elite speed usually have to make contact and not k like mondesi does to make up for the lack of power.

on another note mondesi has a lot more pop than most people think. he hits bombs when he get ahold of it 

why anyone would think that speed has anything to do with hand eye coordination of hitting a baseball is pretty funny. I understood what he was getting at. no big deal

Edited by colepenhagen

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

Speed and making contact are not one in the same. Speed guys typically aren't power guys so their swings are different which might lead to higher contact rates. However, running fast doesn't help you make contact (they physically couldn't have less to do with each other) and that was the example that was incorrectly used.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2

[...]

I traded for Mondesi about (2) weeks ago and it took a lot to get him (salary dynasty league) but I am absolutely thrilled to be part of the party. The guy is a beast.

Guys that can contribute across the board while also offering the ability to carry you in the SB department don't grow on trees. I'd say right now it's just he and Turner that fit that mold.

Edited by tonycpsu

https://www.mlb.com/video/yusei-kikuchi-in-play-run-s-to-alex-gordon?t=most-popular

I posted in the gameday thread about it but it got lost in the shuffle. The play I suspect it happened on is linked above. He’s the runner flying around from 2nd (I was shocked he scored on this play when it happened, such an amazing athlete). Notice when he slides in and you can tell somethings not right. I assumed it was a precautionary removal because he had two more ABs in the game. I thought it was ankle related but they’re saying groin.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 1

surprised not more concern in here losing the best base stealer in baseball to groin inj

buy low opportunity? very curious with a player like mondesi

anybody see the play/inj

38 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

surprised not more concern in here losing the best base stealer in baseball to groin inj

buy low opportunity? very curious with a player like mondesi

anybody see the play/inj

He said he didn't even know anything was wrong until he sat in the dugout for a bit and then got back up. So the thinking is that it's minor.

• Thanks 2

Good buy low right now? Not just looking at the injury but also the mini slump before. Do we feel it is a sign of the regression that was foretold all offseason by the analytics or just a blip?

Edited by mocha4313

Anyone heard any updates ?

• Like 1

They didn't want him running or jogging for 5 days after he tweaked his groin.  Started running in the pool on Tuesday and the plan was for him to jog the next day if that went well and then run today if jogging went well.  He's been able to hit left handed, take ground balls, and throw so they've had him doing all of that as well.

The KC trainer said the minimum 10 days (tomorrow) is probably a little too optimistic, but sooner rather than later.

Source: Heard it on the FSKC broadcast the other day.

Just hope it's by Sunday night for those of us setting weekly lineups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, ThreadKiller said:

[...]

I traded for Mondesi about (2) weeks ago and it took a lot to get him (salary dynasty league) but I am absolutely thrilled to be part of the party. The guy is a beast.

Guys that can contribute across the board while also offering the ability to carry you in the SB department don't grow on trees. I'd say right now it's just he and Turner that fit that mold.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Mondesi.  But I don't think it's fair to say that he contributes 'across the board'.

39 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Mondesi.  But I don't think it's fair to say that he contributes 'across the board'.

What categories does he not contribute in then, “Mr. quote someone from 3 weeks ago in order to create conflict.”?

He contributes in SB, Runs, RBI, AVG. On pace for 15 homers (prior to going on IL). That’s called “contributing across the board” in the typical stat categories that most people use as part of their league settings. No one said he lead the league across the board. In other words, you’re wrong. What else?

Edited by ThreadKiller

5 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

What categories does he not contribute in then, “Mr. quote someone from 3 weeks ago in order to create conflict.”?

He contributes in SB, Runs, RBI, AVG. On pace for 15 homers (prior to going on IL). That’s called “contributing across the board” in the typical stat categories that most people use as part of their league settings. No one said he lead the league across the board. In other words, you’re wrong. What else?

Eh, we may have to re-define what HR numbers are actually a positive contribution in standard formats in this juiced ball world.

Of the 25 players with at least 10 SBs and 100 PAs. Only 5 have less then 4 HRs(Billy-0, Deshields-1, Margot-3, Gordon-3, Cain-4) and all of those guys sans Cain have less PAs then Mondesi, so the "on pace/per game" HR output is even closer for everyone not named Hamiton/Deshields.

HRs are a joke these days, 6 is nothing, even among fellow base big time stealers. Un-remarkable when Dyson/Mallex are only 1 behind you.

Still a stud. Leads everyone in SBs and that combined with his R/RBI and non negative BA makes him one of the 5X5 coveted.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Eh, we may have to re-define what HR numbers are actually a positive contribution in standard formats in this juiced ball world.

Of the 25 players with at least 10 SBs and 100 PAs. Only 5 have less then 4 HRs(Billy-0, Deshields-1, Margot-3, Gordon-3, Cain-4) and all of those guys sans Cain have less PAs then Mondesi, so the "on pace/per game" HR output is even closer for everyone not named Hamiton/Deshields.

HRs are a joke these days, 6 is nothing, even among fellow base big time stealers. Un-remarkable when Dyson/Mallex are only 1 behind you.

Still a stud. Leads everyone in SBs and that combined with his R/RBI and non negative BA makes him one of the 5X5 coveted.

In his last 146 games, he has 20 HR. I didn’t say he dominated the category. He contributes in the category. Just stop.

Can we all agree that he's a beast and call this a day? I mean you don't walk up to a beast and say, "hey beast, why are you a beast", do you? Nope, you just respect the beast and keep it moving!

• Thanks 1