Flyman75

Adalberto Mondesi 2019 Outlook

My gut is telling me to drop him for someone in the TB/NYY doubleheader today and not look back. But I can’t. 

I just fear his season may be over and the Royals are basically going to leave us in limbo about his timetable. 

11 hours ago, Deke said:

Can speak from experience that I've dislocated the same shoulder about 8 times. Not sure if the torn labrum I have is a result of the first dislocation or one of the next 7, but I never got treatment and have continued to play sports. Sounds like Berto needs to suck it up!

Suck it up and then be like you and us, sitting in front of the screen and talk about fantasy players? 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AF25 said:

Suck it up and then be like you and us, sitting in front of the screen and talk about fantasy players? 

tenor.gif

It did derail my MLB career, but it's for the best. You're on the road so much, you have no time to spend with your wife and kids. And I really want a wife and kids.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Deke said:

It did derail my MLB career, but it's for the best. You're on the road so much, you have no time to spend with your wife and kids. And I really want a wife and kids.

Sorry to hear that. We've seen many talented players not reaching their potential due to injuries..... one of the thing I see is that nothing is taught in the little leagues in regards to body protections; such as stretching and warm ups; I feel that often time conditioning since 10/11U and up can help build a stronger body. But apare often focused on winning and not ways to protect kids in the long run from the grindings of playing baseball.

As for your last part of the sentence, man I can't help much there except for... may I suggest apps like b-umble, h-inge... etc? 😎

On 7/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, Deke said:

Can speak from experience that I've dislocated the same shoulder about 8 times. Not sure if the torn labrum I have is a result of the first dislocation or one of the next 7, but I never got treatment and have continued to play sports. Sounds like Berto needs to suck it up!

Bags and 12 ounce curls dont really count as "playing sports"

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 1

In roto I guess he's a somewhat easy drop. In h2h, it'd be nice to hear some kind of timetable or prognosis beforehand.

39 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

In roto I guess he's a somewhat easy drop. In h2h, it'd be nice to hear some kind of timetable or prognosis beforehand.

Maybe in leagues that don't have IL spots, but if you have room for him on the DL it would be outright stupid to drop him in any format right now.

• Like 2

^Like I said, maybe in h2h you wait and see. 

In roto there’s a good chance he won’t get back in time to significantly beat streaming ROS, if at all. And if his season is over, it’s obviously stupid to hold him in any format.

Plus, there are injured guys out there who would take an IL spot over Mondesi, assuming you even have one. 

the complete lack of updates is quite annoying......it has been well over a week already

(have him in a keeper league, so no way I drop him, but I do have some very limited DL options that I might be able to use once the picture becomes a bit clearer)

22 minutes ago, misterf said:

the complete lack of updates is quite annoying......it has been well over a week already

(have him in a keeper league, so no way I drop him, but I do have some very limited DL options that I might be able to use once the picture becomes a bit clearer)

I don’t have a link, but I’m pretty sure I read he had an evaluation scheduled today, so maybe we’ll hear something soon.

• Like 1

according to rotowire:

Show Contract
Resumes light workouts
July 26, 2019
Mondesi (shoulder) has resumed light workouts and light throwing, Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com reports.
ANALYSIS
The pain and inflammation in Mondesi's shoulder has started to subside, allowing the shortstop to resume limited baseball activities. He's set to be reevaluated early next week (Monday or Tuesday), at which point a timetable for his return will hopefully come into focus. Look for Humberto Arteaga and Nicky Lopez to continue filling in at shortstop in the meantime.

looks like we might be looking at closer to a best case scenario rather than the worst case for a dislocated shoulder ..... fingers crossed

• Like 3

I guess lost in all the Bauer trade/reds brawl/trade deadline drama was this great piece of news.  Looking really good for Mondesi owners

Adalberto Mondesi (shoulder) took about 40 swings off the tee from each side on Tuesday and also fielded grounders and did some light throwing.

It's another step in the right direction for Mondesi, who has been sidelined since July 17 due to a left shoulder subluxation. The 24-year-old switch-hitting speedster owns a .266/.294/.433 slash line with 48 runs scored, seven home runs, 52 RBI and a major league-leading 31 stolen bases in 82 games. He's on track to return to the Royals' lineup sometime in early-to-mid August.

NEVER EVER trust ROTOWORLD's careless blurb writers.  There is absolutely ZERO credible info out there suggesting he will be back in early to mid-August.  They wrote that garbage literally the day after the manager was quoted that it will be a "while" and only indicated that he'd "want him back before the year's out"

Who gives these fools the liberties to just report their uninformed guesses as fact?

• Like 1

Just noticed this: (and things still aren't real clear)

Mondesi (shoulder) recently progressed to hitting off a tee, but his return timetable is still up in the air, Alec Lewis of The Athletic reports. "He's making progress, but it's probably, realistically going to be a while," manager Ned Yost said earlier this week. "You definitely want him back before the year's out. You want to make sure, going into next year, that he's all right. He's working diligently. I don't know. I'm hoping."

Not long after his return from a groin injury, Mondesi landed back on the IL after suffering a left shoulder subluxation July 16. Fantasy owners were hoping for a relatively quick turnaround, but the quotes from Yost don't inspire much confidence. Despite all the missed time, Mondesi still leads the majors in stolen bases with 31 in 35 attempts.

I'm not a doctor and don't have any real knowledge of his injury past what I've read.  I've lost the top spot in SBs in a roto league since he's been out so I'd love to see him back.

However, I can't comprehend why KC would feel it necessary to bring him back at all this year.  Have him take his time with it, there is literally nothing to play for.  Shoulder injuries are tricky and have a propensity for re-injury more so than most other types of injuries.  It's difficult to imagine a subluxation being fully healed with such a short rehab period.  

I understand it's his glove side shoulder, but at SS there's a lot of quick twitch and diving plays he'll need to make.  He's also a switch hitter... it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Hope I'm proven wrong and I'll continue to stash him in case he's back this season, but I have little expectation that he will be.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Just noticed this: (and things still aren't real clear)

... Yost said earlier this week. "You definitely want him back before the year's out. You want to make sure, going into next year, that he's all right. He's working diligently. I don't know. I'm hoping."

2 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

I'm not a doctor and don't have any real knowledge of his injury past what I've read.  I've lost the top spot in SBs in a roto league since he's been out so I'd love to see him back.

However, I can't comprehend why KC would feel it necessary to bring him back at all this year.  Have him take his time with it, there is literally nothing to play for.  Shoulder injuries are tricky and have a propensity for re-injury more so than most other types of injuries.  It's difficult to imagine a subluxation being fully healed with such a short rehab period.  

I understand it's his glove side shoulder, but at SS there's a lot of quick twitch and diving plays he'll need to make.  He's also a switch hitter... it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Hope I'm proven wrong and I'll continue to stash him in case he's back this season, but I have little expectation that he will be.

Well Yost said he "hoped" he would be back.  They aren't rushing him. 

But if he is physically ready then yes he should come back.  Because there is the mental/psychological component to this and worst case is a player having to wait ALL off season worrying and wondering in his mind if he will return and be the same player he was before an injury.  Players have said in the past it was such a relief to get into some late season games for their own peace of mind over the winter. 

• Like 1

At this point, he's a pretty safe drop in redraft roto imo. H2H you may want to hold out hope a little longer.

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

At this point, he's a pretty safe drop in redraft roto imo. H2H you may want to hold out hope a little longer.

There's no reason for you to belabor this, and incorrectly. The majority of your decision has to do with whether or not you have room for him on your IL. 

You mean there’s no reason for your post. Two posts ahead of mine a guy mentioned “stashing” him in roto. My response is that there are probably better stashed in roto, IL or not. 

Pretty frustrating how there have been really no updates on this guy over the past month. Just a random blurb here and there saying he's with the team or progressing. No sort of time table. No real information. I need this guy back post haste!