Flyman75

Adalberto Mondesi 2019 Outlook

royals have no good reason to rush him back. I'd expect kid gloves the rest of this year, unfortunatel.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Pretty frustrating how there have been really no updates on this guy over the past month. Just a random blurb here and there saying he's with the team or progressing. No sort of time table. No real information. I need this guy back post haste!

We're not getting Mondesi anytime soon this season, nor should we. It makes no logical sense for them to bring him back too soon. Hopefully before the EOS, but there can be no rush from the Royals' perspective.

Edited by Flyman75

Looks to be coming along faster than most thought. Should be a nice bonus for those that held for the last 5 weeks of the season.

Maybe, if you could afford to hold him in the first place. It might be too late to matter for teams that were fighting for a playoff spot. In roto he probably wouldn't make up for the missed time even if he came back now.

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Looks to be coming along faster than most thought. Should be a nice bonus for those that held for the last 5 weeks of the season.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Maybe, if you could afford to hold him in the first place. It might be too late to matter for teams that were fighting for a playoff spot. In roto he probably wouldn't make up for the missed time even if he came back now.

What does "make up for the missed time" mean?  I have him in multiple roto leagues and he will be very valuable down the stretch.  Losing him hurt, but that's why you have a bench!

• Like 3

I held onto him in DL slot in AL h2h, and I have to say if he can return in time for h2h playoffs, oh boy, his fantasy potential is gamebreaker

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I’m not worried about making up for missed time. I’m worried about holding ontoy SB lead and holding off the team that is coming up behind me in that cat. If he can come back and help me hold the lead in SBs, then I’m good. At this point, I don’t care about missed time. I care about where I am now and where I’ll be at season’s end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenag122002 said:

What does "make up for the missed time" mean?  I have him in multiple roto leagues and he will be very valuable down the stretch.  Losing him hurt, but that's why you have a bench!

Do you really not know what that means? Or did you not read the part just before that where I said "if you could afford" it? Even if you're talking IL slots, guys like Scherzer, Cruz, and others who would have been held over Mondesi have also been injured during this same stretch.

If/when Mondesi gets back, he may or may not provide significantly more production than you could have gotten streaming ROS depending on format, league, team specifics, who's on waivers etc. He's already missed a month, and h2h playoffs are around the corner or have already started for some.

19 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I’m not worried about making up for missed time. I’m worried about holding ontoy SB lead and holding off the team that is coming up behind me in that cat. If he can come back and help me hold the lead in SBs, then I’m good. At this point, I don’t care about missed time. I care about where I am now and where I’ll be at season’s end. 

ok. Like I said, it would depend on the league. He wasn't going to help your opponent add any SBs for the last month anyway. However, whoever your opponent has been streaming did help. And you could have been holding whoever that may have been instead of holding Mondesi, who wasn't going to help you or him anyway.

My point is that you basically have to wait until the end of the season to know how much you gained/lost by holding/dropping him.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Haha 1

Based on his injury, there’s a chance he won’t be stealing much.  Head first sliding puts the shoulder in a VERY risky position for reinjury.  

• Like 2

Are we sure he's going to run much when returning?  Seems like a head first slide, could be a chance to reinjure the shoulder.

22 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Are we sure he's going to run much when returning?  Seems like a head first slide, could be a chance to reinjure the shoulder.

Not sure about anything at this point.  Problem with good players hurt on bad teams is the team has no reason to risk anything wrt bringing him back or what he does when he gets back. Nothing you can do but wait and see.

29 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

He’s got 2 steals in 5 rehab games and was only on base 6 times. He’ll be running when he gets back. I’ve watched him play a ton and the kid doesn’t really go at anything other than full throttle when he’s on the field. It’s what makes him so dangerous on the baseball field but it’s also what’ll make him a higher injury risk than most players.

• Like 1

It seems steals are less rare this season than in previous years.  Can anyone verify this? Might devalue players like Mondesí  next season.

35 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He’s got 2 steals in 5 rehab games and was only on base 6 times. He’ll be running when he gets back. I’ve watched him play a ton and the kid doesn’t really go at anything other than full throttle when he’s on the field. It’s what makes him so dangerous on the baseball field but it’s also what’ll make him a higher injury risk than most players.

just seems weird that they want to be "extra cautious" on bringing him back, but yet he's running and going all out in the minors.  If he's good to go full bore for Omaha (which I would imagine holds the same risks of re-injury), why not just bring him back up.   

Adalberto Mondesi (shoulder) is expected to be activated from the injury list on Sunday.

Mondesi is nearly a week into his rehab assignment, having gone 3-for-17 at the plate over five games. Noteworthy is that the Royals don't want him to dive for balls or dive into bases for the rest of the season in order to protect his shoulder. That could certainly impact his stolen base upside the rest of the way, although he has swiped a couple bags (while being caught once) so far on his rehab assignment.

3 hours ago, B&F said:

It seems steals are less rare this season than in previous years.  Can anyone verify this? Might devalue players like Mondesí  next season.

I don't have any data to back it up either other than the juiced ball, increased power numbers, etc. But from a supply/demand standpoint, relatively speaking, those things should make steals more valuable, not less.

Ever since dropping Mondesi, I've been streaming guys like Deshields, Kiermaier, Dyson, Kevin Newman, Kolten Wong, Leury Garcia, etc. all with some limited success. Jon Berti, Josh Vanmeter, and Tommy Edman are some new kids on the block that can add a few SBs as well.But nothing is ever going to make up for a guy like this going down.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Haha 1

Wish there would have been an update on his activation today. Yahoo said expected to be activated Sunday but hasn't been any new over last few days. 

Royals activated SS Adalberto Mondesi from the 10-day injured list.

Mondesi has been on the shelf since mid-July with a subluxation of his left shoulder. The Royals have instructed him not to do any head-first diving, which obviously will affect his defense and likely his base-stealing ability. Still, fantasy owners are obviously going to want to have him back in their lineups.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:44 PM, B&F said:

He's been out since July and still is 4th in steals for the year. Someone who steals at his rate is not really replaceable regardless.

2019 YTD

Steals: 30+ (4), 20+(13), 15+(27), 10+ (52)

2018 thru September 1st

Steals: 30+ (3), 20+ (21), 15+ (31), 10+ (71)

There is less double digit base stealers this year then there was at this point last year. So, no. Its the opposite.