Flyman75

Adalberto Mondesi 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Sidearmer said:

That's a realistic concern though.

yes indeed it is! if that was his concern over the OBP he mentioned then i woulda just kept it moving hah

i think the Sb will be there regardless so the OBP im not even super concerned over, the BA i am very pessimistic on as you alluded to

Edited by kmoore1521

16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Interesting read on Mondesi for those taking the plunge on him: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article227405899.html

Supposedly he's working hard at improving his plate discipline. Extremely small sample size warning in 26 spring at bats he's walked 4 times and k'd 4 times. 

That's all good, but I won't believe it until I see him doing it against legit MLB pitchers during the regular season. And I'm a Mondesi believer, LOL. I need to see the proof in the pudding over an extended period of time. Until then, I know I've got myself a highly volatile 2B/SS who could go 20-50 just as easily as he could turn into Byron Buxton. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

That's all good, but I won't believe it until I see him doing it against legit MLB pitchers during the regular season. And I'm a Mondesi believer, LOL. I need to see the proof in the pudding over an extended period of time. Until then, I know I've got myself a highly volatile 2B/SS who could go 20-50 just as easily as he could turn into Byron Buxton. 

Oh, I agree. Nothing in that small of a spring training sample is going to change my valuation of him, but it’s better than seeing him have 0 walks and 8 k’s with reports of him having a poor work ethic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Oh, I agree. Nothing in that small of a spring training sample is going to change my valuation of him, but it’s better than seeing him have 0 walks and 8 k’s with reports of him having a poor work ethic.

Agree and super agree. Lol. 

26 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

2 walks today. All concerns out the window.

Yeah I know right? He looks to be on pace to somewhere around 80 BB and 80 K on the season... What concerns?! 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Risk is clear, but I was able to get him at 114. I'm taking that all day

Which draft site is this ? I haven’t seen him past by 75 in any yahoo draft over the past month. Consider yourself a lucky man 

Espn with a lot of league mates who think highly enough of their baseball knowledge to ignore rankings yet know almost nothing about the non-"big" teams. Devers, andujar, gleyber, turner and a few other questionable choices went over mondesi

I haven't seen a draft where Mondesi last till the 6th round. Usually he is going 4th and 5th round based on the drafts that I have done. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, dannyusf said:

Wow. Never saw that his OBP is below .300. Might be tough for him to retain lead off for the whole year

Maybe for a more normal team, but I've seen Yost stack his 1/2 spots an entire years at a time with sub .300 OBP guys (Escobar, etc)...

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe for a more normal team, but I've seen Yost stack his 1/2 spots an entire years at a time with sub .300 OBP guys (Escobar, etc)...

Yeah, Yost doesn't really sweat OBP.....

12 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Which draft site is this ? I haven’t seen him past by 75 in any yahoo draft over the past month. Consider yourself a lucky man 

It was an NL-only league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

How much you guys base a player expectations on past batter vs pitcher?

I always work on this each year to see what a hitter did vs "good" pitchers, great indicator of hit tool.

Saw Mondesi has a HR vs Veralnder and Hader, 2 hits vs Severino but did not see much after that vs what I deem, "good pitchers".

My eye tells me he is a decent hitter with room to grow, I AM NO HATER, just curious to my question above.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

I always work on this each year to see what a hitter did vs "good" pitchers, great indicator of hit tool.

Saw Mondesi has a HR vs Veralnder and Hader, 2 hits vs Severino but did not see much after that vs what I deem, "good pitchers".

My eye tells me he is a decent hitter with room to grow, I AM NO HATER, just curious to my question above.

its good to see a player have success vs good sp but small sample size and I don't think you can really make any conclusions.

remember when everyone got hyped when devers hit that high fastball off chapman his rookie year?

What's the earliest you guys would draft him in a standard points league? I know he's better in roto, but he really fell in my points league draft last night  (pick #111)and wondered if that was common.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, CharlesHustle said:

It's an unconventional tool but it speaks volumes. I still vividly recall young Miggy and young Xander taking Roger Clemens deep in big games. 
The home run versus Hader is particularly impressive, that's like out-quicking a hummingbird ... or something. 

Carter Kieboom took Verlander deep twice the other day, that'll get your attention.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, colepenhagen said:

its good to see a player have success vs good sp but small sample size and I don't think you can really make any conclusions.

remember when everyone got hyped when devers hit that high fastball off chapman his rookie year?

I do remember Devers doing that, one of the few young lefties with the raw ability to do such a thing, off the flame-throwing Octopus.
Obviously Lastings Milledge probably got the best of good pitchers here and there too, so it's not an end-all gauge of talent... but it's sort of like finding out that a cute girl you like also digs your favorite band. It re-affirms what you already think and feel. Long story short, Carter Kieboom is a stud in the making. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

On 3/16/2019 at 2:59 AM, Simsanityy179 said:

Picked him up at 65, feels right to me.

im on board ladies and gentlemen!

65 is great if you're in a roto league in my opinion... Might take the risk around 50 for him if I don't love anybody else

• Thanks 1

ESPN had him listed at 101 and I got him at 99th overall.  The disparities in rankings for different sites is very odd. 

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

ESPN had him listed at 101 and I got him at 99th overall.  The disparities in rankings for different sites is very odd. 

It's annoying how site rankings so significantly dictate draft outcome.

37 minutes ago, Finisher said:

It's annoying how site rankings so significantly dictate draft outcome.

If your playing in a league and you do your research, you should be rooting for wacky rankings...

• Like 2