StarlinCastro

Ronald Acuna 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, 4catztoomany said:

101 runs! 8 behind Mookie Betts for MLB lead. Average is at .299.  He just became the 6th player in MLB history to have 60 career home runs before turning 22.  K-rate is at 24.4% compared to 25.3% from last year and BB rate is up to 9.9% from 9.2% yesterday.  Does he have any weaknesses really? Not like you can avoid pitching to him with a pretty stacked 1-4 for the Braves. 

Walk him and he'll steal second and then you have to deal with Albies (who is on fire atm) or Freeman.

3 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Just imagine his stats if he had been hitting lead off to start the season. 

Hard to really know if it's hitting lead off that's really helped his numbers skyrocket or it's just random sampling but we'll take it right? Hopefully Snitker learned his lesson and will no longer experiment with Acuna out of the lead off spot.  Getting a solid power hitter (resigning Donaldson, maybe springing for Rendon) should take that out of the equation entirely.

1 minute ago, 4catztoomany said:

Hard to really know if it's hitting lead off that's really helped his numbers skyrocket or it's just random sampling but we'll take it right? Hopefully Snitker learned his lesson and will no longer experiment with Acuna out of the lead off spot.  Getting a solid power hitter (resigning Donaldson, maybe springing for Rendon) should take that out of the equation entirely.

Rendon with this group would be deadly. As a Phillies fan I don't want to see it lol.

Just now, buccsfan22 said:

Rendon with this group would be deadly. As a Phillies fan I don't want to see it lol.

Imagine this core with Acuna, Albies, Freeman, and Rendon.  Then add in Riley if he can learn to hit breaking pitches and the elite defense of Acuna/Pache/Waters/Inciarte.  I don't see management springing for someone like Rendon but we can certainly dream!

14 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

Snitker said before that Acuna is locked in the leadoff spot as long as he’s the manager.

Just became the #1 ranked player by Yahoo's algorithm for 5x5 leagues, passing Yelich. 

12 HR and 12 SB in the last 30 days.

9 HR in his last 12 games. 

Doesn't turn 22 years old until a week before Christmas. 

7 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Just became the #1 ranked player by Yahoo's algorithm for 5x5 leagues, passing Yelich. 

Same w ESPN

55 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I should have the number 1 pick next year.  I wanted Trout as a fool proof building block.  I’m actually favoring acuna by quite a bit at this point.

Edited by Cesare13

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

I should have the number 1 pick next year.  I wanted Trout as a fool proof building block.  I’m actually favoring acuna by quite a bit at this point.

Not considering Yelich at all?

4 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

If its me with a #1 pick in a redraft, I'm still taking Trout just because he's such a proven commodity. I think Acuna goes 2, Yelich 3, Bellinger 4.

Yelich's back issues may scare some people enough that he might drop behind Bellinger.

Edited by RoadApple
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I consider anyone and everyone.  Right or wrong, im an absolute sucker for elite pedigree .  Trout and acuna oozed it.  I’m also way too high on trying to capture that career year and not wanting the year after a career year.  Given acunas age and the fact that I just don’t believe Yelich is THIS good combined with his back and the possibility that trouts elite sb days are behind him if I,drafted right now, Acuña is my #1.

* edit: haha closed this thread and immediately saw the Bryce Harper thread right below this one.  Makes me rethink my entire argument and think trout.

Edited by Cesare13

“I’m taking Acuna 1’st w/out hesitation... he’s the greatest ball player to ever play the game, and he’s only 21 years old!”

- George Herman Ruth -

• Haha 1

Nobody is going to fault you for taking Trout or Yelich at 1.1.  I think we do see acuna settle in as the #1 adp player.  Next year we have some legit discussion on the 1.1.  Could throw bellinger in there too.

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Nobody is going to fault you for taking Trout or Yelich at 1.1.  I think we do see acuna settle in as the #1 adp player.  Next year we have some legit discussion on the 1.1.  Could throw bellinger in there too.

what I can't wait to see if 5-20 ADP. 

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

* edit: haha closed this thread and immediately saw the Bryce Harper thread right below this one.  Makes me rethink my entire argument and think trout.

I wouldn't compare Harper and Acuna.  They are vastly different talents.  Acuna is much closer to Trout.

162 game average for his brief career thus far:

126 runs, 42 HR, 103 RBI, 31 SB, .296/.372/.548

In his last 162 games (going back to August 19 of last season):

128 R, 42 HR, 105 RBI, 34 SB, .296 average

this is who he is. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

this is who he is. 

He’s here and he’s perfect!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

this is who he is. 

I agree this is who he is.

But if I may just dream slightly bigger...

Acuña's last 65 games (162-game pace in parentheses):

.313 BA / .389 OBP% / .605 SLG%

24 HR (60 HR)

51 RBI (128 RBI)

67 R (167 R)

22 SB (55 SB)

*drools*

I don't actually think this insane pace is possible to keep up, but my point is that he might even be able to do a little bit better than the "last 162 game" numbers suggest, on the basis that he is only 21 years old and possibly showing real improvement.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

I agree this is who he is.

But if I may just dream slightly bigger...

Acuña's last 65 games (162-game pace in parentheses):

.313 BA / .389 OBP% / .605 SLG%

24 HR (60 HR)

51 RBI (128 RBI)

67 R (167 R)

22 SB (55 SB)

*drools*

I don't actually think this insane pace is possible to keep up, but my point is that he might even be able to do a little bit better than the "last 162 game" numbers suggest, on the basis that he is only 21 years old and possibly showing real improvement.

That’s legitimately the equivalent of entire seasons worth of counting stats for TWO first round picks.  Although, yes, that is an extremely unlikely pace, 65 games is no sss.  I’m not even an owner, just an admirer.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 5:37 PM, Saucy said:

Not as high as he will likely go. I've seen some mocks where people are reaching for him with a top 6 or 7 pick. I can't agree with that. I'd rather have Trout, Betts, Ramirez, Lindor, Martinez, Machado, Harper, Scherzer, Sale, Bregman, Yelich, Arenado, Trea, Altuve (not in order), and maybe guys like Judge or DeGrom. He's somewhere in my second round, but I doubt I'll get him there because someone in my league will want to be the smartest guy in the room and pick him way earlier than he should be going in the hopes of finding Trout 2.0

F506C8C2-A5B9-4410-AE2B-B08D0171C454.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Anyone think he pulls out 40/40 this year? 

If he doesn’t, he’s gonna be really close.

He’s stolen 7 bags in a week recently, so I’ll say he gets there.