zstlj

St. Louis Cardinals 2019 Outlook

On 11/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, zstlj said:

1- Trade Matt Carpenter (bad at 3b) Carson Kelly  and Daniel Poncedeleon for Paul Goldschmidt....and maybe another small piece.

Real GMs don't make fantasy trades. This (and most of your other proposals) is completely unrealistic. When a star like Goldy is traded, its not for another aging player likely going into the decline phase of his career. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think any opt outs will be Harper's, not the team's.  That is how mega deals for star players are structured these days.  Like the Red Sox have absolutely no opt outs for David Price or JD Martinez but they had opt outs for themselves.  And boy would the Angels love to have had opt outs on Pujols and the Yankees on Ellsbury.  Opt outs these days are a one way street period.  Neither Harper nor Machado would consider signing a contract that gives the team any opt outs.  Only themselves. 

im not talking about team opt outs...im talking about player opt-out, which you can rest assured harper would most likely exercise, thus making whatever deal team friendly _relatively speaking_.

the issue with the cardinals is that they absolutely have to overpay for a free-agent like harper (or machado) in order to get him to come to st louis.  they also need a cornerstone player to build around and opportunities in the free agent market like this don't come around too often.

even if harper doesnt opt out and the cards are stuck with a huge contract, i think theyd still be ok with their pipeline of pitching talent and serviceable to projectable hitting talent.

at least for the first 6-7 years of harpers deal ;)

They need to acquire Kluber from Cleveland.  They need an ace.  Kluber pitching in the NL would be nothing short of insane! 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 11:36 PM, cs3 said:

Real GMs don't make fantasy trades. This (and most of your other proposals) is completely unrealistic. When a star like Goldy is traded, its not for another aging player likely going into the decline phase of his career. 

Well your correct that the ideas i threw together are way optimistic, but your wrong that Carson Kelly, Dakota Hudson/any young top SP and Matt Carpenter is unreleasitic for Goldy. Goldy is 31 not 26, Kelly and Hudson are both high prospects that fills C and a SP spot. 

Goldy is 31, 1 year left and could easily walk and be a one year rental. 

Please let me know what you think it will take in that trade for just Goldy? 

On 11/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, osb_tensor said:

i don't know... harper would be great for STL, but i'm not sure it makes much sense.

jose, fowler, bader, and o'neill are already a jam in the OF. if you add harper, that just compounds the problem and forces a trade. 

i would much rather see donaldson at 3b, pushing gyorko to 2b and wong to the bench, with money still left to spend on pitching.

edit: to add a little bit onto this thought, gyorko and wong would make a pretty good platoon at 2b. gyorko hits lefties pretty good (career wRC+ 125) while wong is passable vs rightes (career wRC+ 99), but still better than gyorko (career wRC+ 94).

Ozuna Bader O Neill in the OF..  Gyorko/wong 2b......

I feel like I've watched the same crap for 3 years. Poor D, Strikeout alot, poor baserunning,  bad bullpens, and alot of mediocre players. It's honestly exhausting. 

This is not good. The brewers and Cubs are currently pretty strong. 

On 11/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, 96GOAT said:

They need to acquire Kluber from Cleveland.  They need an ace.  Kluber pitching in the NL would be nothing short of insane! 

I agree,  CMart has disappointed me. I lost alot of respect when he was showing up late on days he was pitching. ***These were unexused** and The Cardinals had to have someone else ready to go possibly because he was so late. 

2 hours ago, zstlj said:

Ozuna Bader O Neill in the OF..  Gyorko/wong 2b......

I feel like I've watched the same crap for 3 years. Poor D, Strikeout alot, poor baserunning,  bad bullpens, and alot of mediocre players. It's honestly exhausting. 

The brewers and Cubs are currently pretty strong. 

44 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

So Carpenter to 3B? Oh boy....

We will see

3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Still not as good as Brewers and Cubs IMO 

Depends on how you feel about the brewers rotation 

Depth chart for their rotation on Rotoworld has the Cardinals with C-Mart, Miklos, Flaherty as top three obviously.  Then Wacha and Wainwright.  Does Wainwright have a contract lasting the entire 21st century?  When is it up? 

I know there are some Cardinal fans here.  What is being said locally?  Will the latter two continue in the rotation do you think?  What about Alex Reyes?  John Gant?  Young Dakota Hudson?

Also is Jedd Gyorko the main loser in the Goldy trade?

I like seeing jose martinez name in the line up on roster resource but I see him sitting a decent amount too.

I like that Carlos Martinez  is now officially on the rotation.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Depth chart for their rotation on Rotoworld has the Cardinals with C-Mart, Miklos, Flaherty as top three obviously.  Then Wacha and Wainwright.  Does Wainwright have a contract lasting the entire 21st century?  When is it up? 

I know there are some Cardinal fans here.  What is being said locally?  Will the latter two continue in the rotation do you think?  What about Alex Reyes?  John Gant?  Young Dakota Hudson?

Also is Jedd Gyorko the main loser in the Goldy trade?

Wainwright’s contract was up, but they worked out an incentive-laden one-year extension ($2M base, could make up to $8M as a starter or hit different incentives as a reliever). They plan to use Alex Reyes as a starter, but it hasn’t been said how or when. Obviously he’s not ready for a full workload. But I have to think Wainwright and/or Wacha open the door for him at some point if he doesn’t start the year in the rotation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think J ose Martinez is the big loser of this trade.  He finished with a pretty good OPS of .821, I was surprised when I rechecked and it was that good.  I would be amazed if they don't trade him to an AL team where he could DH 

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

I think J ose Martinez is the big loser of this trade.  He finished with a pretty good OPS of .821, I was surprised when I rechecked and it was that good.  I would be amazed if they don't trade him to an AL team where he could DH 

Yes, a STL Post Dispatch beat writer said he expects Fowler to start the year in RF and Carpenter to 3B. So that leaves Gyorko and Martinez as the odd men out. That is, if everyone is healthy and Fowler doesn’t hit .150 well into May again.

• Like 1

i like J-Mart, but he has no spot and even though he can hit, his defense is atrocious.

I imagine he will be in a deal to an AL team for bullpen help.

I also fully expect the cards to sign a happ/keuchal/morton type.

Can't really trust that back-end of the rotation, so it would be nice to sign another starter.

Personally, i'd like to see them trade reyes for bauer, but thats just me.

Nats are out on Harper it sounds like, and rumor has it he doesn't like Philly. Could the stars be aligning for Harper to STL? We can only hope.

As for the rotation, I don't see them signing anyone, they have roughly 10 guys available for 5 spots if you include Gant, Gomber, Poncedeleon, etc.

Reyes won't start the year in the rotation, but maybe by June he is starting. They are going to ease him back in.

JMart needs to DH somewhere, his defense is atrocious. Hopefully we can trade him for bullpen help or prospects.

Really hoping Fowler is not the answer in RF, but I don't see them being able to move that contract. He would waive his NTC for sure if Harper signed though, he wants to play full time.

I'd like to see O'Neill be the 4th OF this year, then get his chance when Ozuna walks.

16 hours ago, jimbo504 said:

Nats are out on Harper it sounds like, and rumor has it he doesn't like Philly. Could the stars be aligning for Harper to STL? We can only hope.

As for the rotation, I don't see them signing anyone, they have roughly 10 guys available for 5 spots if you include Gant, Gomber, Poncedeleon, etc.

Reyes won't start the year in the rotation, but maybe by June he is starting. They are going to ease him back in.

JMart needs to DH somewhere, his defense is atrocious. Hopefully we can trade him for bullpen help or prospects.

Really hoping Fowler is not the answer in RF, but I don't see them being able to move that contract. He would waive his NTC for sure if Harper signed though, he wants to play full time.

I'd like to see O'Neill be the 4th OF this year, then get his chance when Ozuna walks.

where are seeing those rumors about not liking philly?  would love to believe that.

Agreed on JMart.  Trade him for LOOGY help.  Don't just give him away however, because he holds alot of value.

Regarding the rotation, i must be in the minority for signing a pitcher.  The names you mentioned are nice depth, but by no means reliable options if we expect to compete for the NL.  Besides...as the old saying goes...you can never have too much pitching.