KingJoffrey

Mallex Smith 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, erik vulaj said:

Back on Monday they said

who said?

1 hour agoSeattle Mariners outfielder Mallex Smith was sent down to Triple-A two weeks ago to refine his swing after slashing .165/.255/.247 to begin the year. He still found success on the bases stealing eight bags, but the M's made the move after Smith missed most of spring training with an elbow injury to give him more time to catch up to big league pitching. The speedster is currently batting .361 in Triple-A with seven steals as the team sent down Braden Bishop on Sunday hinting that Smith will be called up shortly. The 26-year-old remains one of the top speed options in fantasy, and he should be scooped up in all formats wherever available.--Riley Mrack - RotoBaller
Source: Greg Johns - Twitter

Probably brought up tomorrow per this site.  Honestly this guy can win sb cats for you and maybe a league if he hits near .280.  

6 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Probably brought up tomorrow per this site.  Honestly this guy can win sb cats for you and maybe a league if he hits near .280.  

He’s on the wire in a league I feel I need more bags in. Had him last year and he was very good. If he hits for that high average, he’s a nice piece for people low on bags.

Where do you believe he will play? 

1B/DH  is taken with EE & Volgenbach 

OF regulars Hanigan, & Santana..... Bruce 

I only see time if they get rid of Bruce

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Where do you believe he will play? 

1B/DH  is taken with EE & Volgenbach 

OF regulars Hanigan, & Santana..... Bruce 

I only see time if they get rid of Bruce

He’ll play CF regularly. He was playing almost every day before he went to Triple-A. Mariners will rotate Vogelbach (should sit vs lefties), Bruce (occasional off day), and Encarnacion. If Mallex is hitting, playing time wont be a concern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Thought he was supposed to be up today?

Servais basically just said he’d be up “soon”, but never gave any exact timetable. 

Seattle beat reporters seem to think he’ll be up this week, mostly because they’re only carrying three actual outfielders right now. That can’t hold up all that long. 

Can't find anything on when they're planning on calling him back up.

17 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Can't find anything on when they're planning on calling him back up.

be nice if it were today.

Winter is coming still, right?

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, Krambone said:

Winter is coming still, right?

Winter has already came but Mallex Smith hasn't.  I thought I read that he didn't play last night which might indicate he was getting called up, but I don't see anything about it this morning. Any updates?

I'm a Mariners fan and I cut bait weeks ago for other waiver guys. Hopefully this kid eventually figures it out but I feel like playing time will not necessarily be everyday regardless of how he does upon return. There will definitely be a log jam until Seattle trades someone soon. Bruce has been struggling but he will still get his starts in the outfield from time to time with Vogelbach at DH and Haniger back in CF. Someone in my league recently stashed him and I personally hope Mallex plays well I'm just not uber hyped personally. I know he has been working one on one with Mike Cameron while he has been at AAA Tacoma at least.

Edited by kingdavid206

Too much SB potential to not hold IMO.  Especially if he can get his average to around last year's total.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

Too much SB potential to not hold IMO.  Especially if he can get his average to around last year's total.  

It would depend on overall scoring settings for me. I would say that in my league head to head points league. He really was not doing much to start the season. I replaced him with Framil Reyes and I have not looked back once. If you are in a categories league and you need stolen bases then sure go for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdavid206 said:

It would depend on overall scoring settings for me. I would say that in my league head to head points league. He really was not doing much to start the season. I replaced him with Framil Reyes and I have not looked back once. If you are in a categories league and you need stolen bases then sure go for it.

Don't base his future production on the putrid start he had to the season. He is fully expected to put up MUCH better numbers than he was "to start the season".

2 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

Don't base his future production on the putrid start he had to the season. He is fully expected to put up MUCH better numbers than he was "to start the season".

I'm basing my decision to drop him for a power bat due to my league's scoring settings. If I was looking for steals and potential average that would be another story entirely. I do think that he will have a better second half and hopefully his fielding gets better, because that was another reason he was sent down. I hope he does well I already said that as well. Do you understand what I was saying?

Edited by kingdavid206