KingJoffrey

Mallex Smith 2019 Outlook

This kid just can’t hit major league pitching. A classic “AAAA” player. 0 is an appropriate number for him

maybe Mallex just needs to be sent down to the minors for a little bit until he can figure things out. oh wait they already did that.

maybe Mallex just needs a fresh start on a new team. oh wait he is on a new team.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the K's are alarming. 34.6% since being called back up, after only having 8.3% when he was in AAA.

28 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

This kid just can’t hit major league pitching. A classic “AAAA” player. 0 is an appropriate number for him

tenor.gif?itemid=10876885

Yes, the guy who hit:

.238 over 189 AB in 2016

.270 over 256 in 2017

.298 over 480 in 2018

and has hit .264 for his career in the majors while including this year's stats can't hit MLB pitching.  Got it.

Currently hitting .164 over 122 AB this season, could there be any reason for this other than "loser, quad A player, LOLSUCKFEST"?

New team. Check.

Coming off elbow strain/soreness. Check.

Injury is in throwing arm. Check.

Missed the majority of spring training and season opener. Check.

The fact he was working on the swing in the minors shows he is willing to make adjustments, but also maybe his swing is off due to the elbow issue.  He did well in the brief stint in the minors.  He should get a couple weeks to work out any issues.  It could all be between his ears and trusting that his elbow is fine, or the manager could be screwing with his head.  We have reasons to explain his struggles. He didn't come in healthy, play all spring, and suddenly can't hit.

To say he can't hit is insulting based on what we have seen thus far in his career.  People treating him like he is Jon Singleton.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 8

On 5/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, erik vulaj said:

Him and Dee Gordon should bat 1 and 2

With OBPs of .310 & .243?  Yea, no thanks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guys...FOUR bags last night and not a peep in here!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pierceNKC said:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pierceNKC said:

He did it on the WW or the bench. Now we can chase the dragon as he goes 1-30 over his next AB's yes! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pierceNKC said:

Lol, you play him then.

4 SB, when most people probably didn't even have him in the starting lineup.

4 SB are good, but this needs to continue.

He better hit because if he continues to put up 0/fers he might not get this shot again.

8 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

.296 (last season)

The question is... which average is closer to the real Mallex Smith?  That's the issue.

He's had two good games in a row, so that's something I guess.

34 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Looking deeeeecennnt

I'd say 3 really good games in a row would qualify as more than decent. 😀

Hopefully this is a sign that he has figured things out and will get back to being at least a 3-category player now that he's batting lead-off, especially since I'm sure most people that own him now got him for free since I'm sure he was cut in the vast majority of leagues.

• Like 3

Ladies and gentleman, MS is back.

12 minutes ago, winkler29 said:

What size leagues should he be owned in?Im in a 10 teamer and Smith is a FA.

Probably worth a shot in any size league if you're desperate for steals.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, reichl555 said:

.201 ... and 297 for the last two weeks with 5 sb, 

IMO one thing to evaluate someone and think he's done or on his way out, it's quite another to look at a bad - or good - stretch and act like that's all someone is, and ignore all their history or potential.  I've picked him up on a couple of teams where I need SBs.  Not like I'm holding all-stars on that last bench slot.

What a difference a couple of weeks can make. He’s in a groove right now and hopefully it lasts awhile. 

AAAA player who can't hit MLB pitching up to .216 batting average, on a 10 game hitting streak, and hit .273 over the last 30 days with 11 runs, 2 HR, 11 RBI, and 9 SB in that span.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sternes said:

AAAA player who can't hit MLB pitching up to .216 batting average, on a 10 game hitting streak, and hit .273 over the last 30 days with 11 runs, 2 HR, 11 RBI, and 9 SB in that span.

I'll take that 30 day production.  He started off the season awful, no way around that, but I think his last 30 days are a better representation of Mallex Smith than what he showed before he got sent down.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

He’s been excellent since returning from the minors, and hitting at the leadoff spot has done wonders for his fantasy and real life value 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRYZZO said:

He’s been excellent since returning from the minors, and hitting at the leadoff spot has done wonders for his fantasy and real life value 

Yeah, since his recall, he's been exactly what everybody expected him to be coming into the season.  With the added bonus of some HRs, whether that lasts or not.  If it's a product of the juiced ball, then great.  If it's something he's been doing different, then great too.  I have to think there's at least a slight change given the spike in K's.  He really doesn't need them to be very valuable though.

• Like 1