KingJoffrey

Mallex Smith 2019 Outlook

I don’t know how you can say a guy who leads the league in steals is an obvious  drop in redraft. Obviously I’m still rostering him with steals being so valuable this season. 

13 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

I don’t know how you can say a guy who leads the league in steals is an obvious  drop in redraft. Obviously I’m still rostering him with steals being so valuable this season. 

Sacrifice 4 categories to compete in one.  That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

• Haha 3

According to ESPN's player rater, he's still a top 30 OF on the year and the #7 CF. He's ahead of guys like Victor Robles, Adam Eaton, Avisail Garcia, and Kevin Kiermaier.

In a 12 team ESPN league, there are 60 OF slots. So basically he should be owned in every 12 teamer and even deeper leagues.

Player rater aside though, the guy has 31 SBs. That alone makes him more valuable the vast majority of waiver trash you'll find in a competitive league.

• Like 1

he sucks at actually hitting, sucks at walks, sucks in power, vacuum in rbi, but hey when he does get on... he owns at stealing.

To be realistic, he is very lucky to keep starting job and still somehow remain leadoff "hitter" in mlb

Edited by DJSatane
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

According to ESPN's player rater, he's still a top 30 OF on the year and the #7 CF. He's ahead of guys like Victor Robles, Adam Eaton, Avisail Garcia, and Kevin Kiermaier.

In a 12 team ESPN league, there are 60 OF slots. So basically he should be owned in every 12 teamer and even deeper leagues.

Player rater aside though, the guy has 31 SBs. That alone makes him more valuable the vast majority of waiver trash you'll find in a competitive league.

Jarrod Dyson is having a better year than Mallex Smith and you can find him on most waiver wires.  

3 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

Jarrod Dyson is having a better year than Mallex Smith and you can find him on most waiver wires.  

If Jarrod Dyson were making the lineup every day like this guy is, you wouldn't see him on any waiver wires. And in fairness, Dyson is a bit behind Smith on the player rater, only because he has 300 ABs compared to Smith's 400.

15 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

If Jarrod Dyson were making the lineup every day like this guy is, you wouldn't see him on any waiver wires. And in fairness, Dyson is a bit behind Smith on the player rater, only because he has 300 ABs compared to Smith's 400.

but when he does play the production is greater. I'd rather have Dyson on my bench out of the two for his spot starts, personally.

i feel like it's a catch 22 with this guy ...... I can't start him because he is terrible in 4 or the 5 categories ...... but I also can't bring myself to drop him because I don't want to give that much SB potential to the competition ...... so he is just taking up space on my bench in the couple of leagues that I have him.

If he were dropped in one of my leagues I feel I would have to pick him up as simply out of defense and just hope for another hot streak like he had in June

I don't think he's terrible in 4/5 cats, and he can be compared to Bill H. Last year he was a hitting machine with ton of SBs. Remember he was injured (twice?) this year. He won't help you in RBIs and HRs, but won't hurt you in other cats and obviously is a SB beast.

I snatched Smith off waivers early this year after someone else gave up on him. I haven't been disappointed. I did think his AVG would be better than it has been, but pair him with a guy like Freddie Freeman, and you have 5 category gold 💰

11 hours ago, exm said:

I don't think he's terrible in 4/5 cats, and he can be compared to Bill H. Last year he was a hitting machine with ton of SBs. Remember he was injured (twice?) this year. He won't help you in RBIs and HRs, but won't hurt you in other cats and obviously is a SB beast.

Well, in fairness his if his .233 BA isn't hurting you, you might want to check the wire for some better contact/average hitters.

But I think most of us agree his value is almost entirely wrapped up in SBs, which may be subjective depending on league/format/team etc.

I guess it depends on if you think he’s a s---y hitter. I personally don’t. His .296 avg last year to me is more representative of his ability than his current .233 avg this season, which I think is mostly due to his injury to start the year. He got hot last month and I think he can finish strong. He’s capable of multiple hits and steals in any given game. So far he’s having a good week. I think he can have a good few weeks to end the season. 

10 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

I guess it depends on if you think he’s a s---y hitter. I personally don’t. His .296 avg last year to me is more representative of his ability than his current .233 avg this season, which I think is mostly due to his injury to start the year. He got hot last month and I think he can finish strong. He’s capable of multiple hits and steals in any given game. So far he’s having a good week. I think he can have a good few weeks to end the season. 

I think you can chalk up last year to hitting on turf.  A poster earlier before season brought up home/road splits.  Last year at home he hit:

.347 avg/.887 ops

On the road:

.244 avg/.657 ops 

Also the Rays are near the pinnacle at player development/support.  The Mariners....well I could probably write a book on how inept this piece of s*** organization is.  I think it’s safe to say as long as he’s in baseball hell he’ll be a pretty bad hitter.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I think you can chalk up last year to hitting on turf.  A poster earlier before season brought up home/road splits.  Last year at home he hit:

.347 avg/.887 ops

On the road:

.244 avg/.657 ops 

Also the Rays are near the pinnacle at player development/support.  The Mariners....well I could probably write a book on how inept this piece of s*** organization is.  I think it’s safe to say as long as he’s in baseball hell he’ll be a pretty bad hitter.

giphy.gif

What? They have magic turf? 

2017 - .299/.777 at home, away .240/.589.

He batted .254/.663 avg/ops, .325/849 ops grass vs turf last year.

He is batting .264/.712 at home this year, 191/.567 away

I think the correct conclusion is that he is a better player at home.

He hit .294 in his career in the minors, I'm pretty sure that was on grass.

Edited by Sternes

21 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

his lead off days maybe over... batting 7th today... value about to evaporate

That’s because he was in the dog house and was sit down for 2 consecutive days. Coincidentally it was 1 of his best weeks of fantasy output. I’m guessing management wants him to prove that he has earned their trust and learned his lesson. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, Fiveohnine said:

Well, in fairness his if his .233 BA isn't hurting you, you might want to check the wire for some better contact/average hitters.

But I think most of us agree his value is almost entirely wrapped up in SBs, which may be subjective depending on league/format/team etc.

It's probably somewhere in the middle (between 2018 .29 BA and 2019 .23 BA), or a BA around .260. That's not a killer. There's no power, but I do think he's not a killer in other cats. I like him for the stretch run.