svdude

Austin Meadows 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

2-6+ weeks. 

That's complete speculation on their part. I'm not buying it until I hear something from the Rays. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

That's complete speculation on their part. I'm not buying it until I hear something from the Rays. 

What's speculation?  He has a right thumb sprain that they are more than likely going to do X-rays and/or an MRI on to determine severity of the injury.  That sort of injury - depending severity/surgical options - can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month & a half rehab time.  There's no speculation there.

Put on 10 day IL......thumb sprain

buying opp?

Edited by CraftyRighty

4 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Put on 10 day IL......thumb sprain

buying opp?

In what world would someone sell off a young player who in his first season, who was a highly ranked prospect, in a very good lineup, who has absolutely raked since the beginning of the year (showing all tools of a fantasy monster) who might be out two weeks to a month or so?

I have Meadows in a keeper league format and if a team came looking at buying low (or even "medium-ish"), I'd have a highly charged response to their inquiry.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

In what world would a team member sell off a young player who in his first season, who was a very well thought after prospect, in a very good lineup, who has absolutely raked since the beginning of the year (showing all tools of a fantasy monster) who might be out two weeks to a month or so?

I have Meadows in a keeper league format and if a team came looking at buying low, I'd have a highly charged response to their inquiry.

I own him and think he has thumb damage, I just took Puig for him

Also trying to buy him in one league so there's that

Edited by redlegsfan

5 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

What's speculation?  He has a right thumb sprain that they are more than likely going to do X-rays and/or an MRI on to determine severity of the injury.  That sort of injury - depending severity/surgical options - can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month & a half rehab time.  There's no speculation there.

I guess I read it as they know he has a significant sprain and would need surgery. Reading comprehension fail. 

5 minutes ago, redlegsfan said:

I own him and think he has thumb damage, I just took Puig for him

To be blunt:  That's terrible.  Your'e guessing he has thumb damage that might keep him out a month and a half (and even if he does, you still don't remotely trade him for Puig) & you just traded a potential elite fantasy player (who is 23) for a guy who you 100% know what you're going to get from him (which is no where near the ceiling of Meadows).  Congrats to the owner in your league who just bought super low on Meadows.

Commentary above is in keeper/dynasty formats and not seasonal - seasonal you might be able to put up an argument based on the depth of your team.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

1 minute ago, lbjames6 said:

I guess I read it as they know he has a significant sprain and would need surgery. Reading comprehension fail. 

Dude, we all do it - all good.  Let's hope no thumb surgery at this point!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Lol seems irresponsible to me.

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

A “highly charged response to their inquiry”?

L.O.L.

A lot more superfluous (that's another word!) than saying that the response would be full of cuss words! :)

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

A lot more superfluous (that's another word!) than saying that the response would be full of cuss words! :)

No, I know what you meant. Just seems silly to react in such an aggressive way to someone offering you a trade in fantasy sports. To each their own.

8 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

No, I know what you meant. Just seems silly to react in such an aggressive way to someone offering you a trade in fantasy sports. To each their own.

Nearly every thread of a player who is freshly injured becomes a contentious mess as the glass-half-fulls argue with the glass-half-emptys and the dynasty owners sound off with the re-drafts.

The place to trade away/for Matthews is in Y! Pro & Free re-drafts where an owner might have 3-5 players on the IL with only 2 IL spots to stash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbythepier said:

Nearly every thread of a player who is freshly injured becomes a contentious mess as the glass-half-fulls argue with the glass-half-emptys and the dynasty owners sound off with the re-drafts.

The place to trade away/for Matthews is in Y! Pro & Free re-drafts where an owner might have 3-5 players on the IL with only 2 IL spots to stash.

That would completely be dependent on the other players who are on the IL along with Meadows.

He’s been injury prone hasn’t he? I know this can happen to anyone, but damn. Guy was locked in. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

2-6+ weeks. 

Those docs must be raking it in this season. Everyone's getting hurt.

Just to add on this: He slid feet first but reached down to grab the bag as he was trying to stay on.

Edit: He also did an aggressive jump slide and hit his trail hand into the dirt on impact. Sucks.

Edited by bbythepier

1 minute ago, bbythepier said:

Just to add on this: He slid feet first but reached down to grab the bag as he was trying to stay on.

Far too many finger/hand injuries involving bags. Daniel Murphy another one this season.  Fix it MLB.

40 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

He’s been injury prone hasn’t he? I know this can happen to anyone, but damn. Guy was locked in. 

This.  Always has been injury prone.  Would consider that moving forward.

That’s it. With all the speculation going on it’s clear that amputation is going to be the final verdict. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

To be blunt:  That's terrible.  Your'e guessing he has thumb damage that might keep him out a month and a half (and even if he does, you still don't remotely trade him for Puig) & you just traded a potential elite fantasy player (who is 23) for a guy who you 100% know what you're going to get from him (which is no where near the ceiling of Meadows).  Congrats to the owner in your league who just bought super low on Meadows.

Commentary above is in keeper/dynasty formats and not seasonal - seasonal you might be able to put up an argument based on the depth of your team.

My oh my how sentiments quickly change after 3 weeks into the season, where Puig was going for 20x more than Meadows in Auctions 3 weeks ago and now he’s relatively “worthless” 😂..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I mean it' snot even based on team depth... Puig had a higher ADP than Meadows... I understand why Meadows has done things to improve his value, but Puig has plenty of upside in his own right. 

But more importantly, you're mischaracterizing it by saying "guessing." He has a thumb injury and will be out for a while. A thumb injury is a pretty bad one for a hitter, and one of my least favorites behind Wrist/Shoulder. Obviously a lot of your grip has to do with your thumbs. But it's not really guessing, just establishing the existence of a risk. There is significantly more risk with Meadows today than there was before the injury. That is a fact. The reward, especially in redraft leagues, has also been at least somewhat diminished purely from the volume of the next few weeks. 

If you don't think an injury reduces his value and makes it logical in certain situations to trade him, I don't know what to tell ya. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Seriously?  Just because Puig is starting slow you think he’s trash.  Don’t forget his ADP was much higher then Meadows, and now that Meadows is hurt it was a move to make.  Thumb injuries linger and zap power.  Do you really think the power will stay and he’ll keep running with an injured thumb?  Maybe, but also could be out for a long time and be limited when returning.  I would’ve pulled the trigger on this deal easy.

• Like 1