Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

if Conner explodes Bell loses even more.. there is already some negative data points that suggest the steelers are just about as good without bell as with him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psygolf said:

If the Steelers were perennially among the teams with the most cap space that wasn't used you might have something there, not sure that is the case.

Geez you don't get it and the cap space has nothing to do with it it. The CBA sets a min and max for player salaries in terms of the cap meaning each team has to work within those limits.  My point's about fiscal responsibility and discipline for a family that will not allow their costs to get out of control and focus on managing a profitable organization because that is their sole source of wealth. An organization is about balancing revenues vs expenses so if you tether yourself to bad contracts and budgets and you don't manage your cashflow properly vs your obligation you will be a very unprofitable organization. . .exhibit A the Raiders. A players contract is an obligation like a debt. 

Edited by dashoe
  • Haha 1

What does he gain by not saying what he is going to do?  We are doomed for Le’Veon watch every week until he actually shows up.  Tell the world how long you will be out and see what the Steelers do.  I do not disagree with his actions in not reporting.  Pittsburgh had the opportunity to sign him and lev thought he was worth more.  All the cards are on the table.  The Steelers can offer him more than the franchise but why should they.  Lev is not being transparent in what his intentions are.  If he is going to protect his health, tell them I will see you on the Tuesday after week 10.  Who knows, maybe they will rescind the tender in week 8 if that are 6-2.

The reporting on this is terrible.  Everyone speculating and “guessing” when he will be back.  Who cares, let everyone know and move on.

This thread will be 300 pages by the next speculated report date with everyone saying the same thing over and over again.

Edited by jjbooda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Geez you don't get it and the cap space has nothing to do with it it. The CBA sets a min and max for player salaries in terms of the cap meaning each team has to work within those limits.  My point's about fiscal responsibility and discipline for a family that will not allow their costs to get out of control and focus on managing a profitable organization because that is their sole source of wealth. An organization is about balancing revenues vs expenses so if you tether yourself to bad contracts and budgets and you don't manage your cashflow properly vs your obligation you will be a very unprofitable organization. . .exhibit A the Raiders. A players contract is an obligation like a debt. 

i dunno about all that.

the much simpler explanation is they didn't want to pay him big money for a lot of years since Ben Roethlisberger is on the wrong side of 35, AB near the end of his prime, and Bell near his....

you are better off taking that money and extending younger players.

paying for a running back is like paying for a closer in MLB.

• Like 1

105 pages...... wow it was 68 the last time i checked.... same thing is being talked about.

• Haha 2

Just now, iphone said:

i dunno about all that.

the much simpler explanation is they didn't want to pay him big money for a lot of years since Ben Roethlisberger is on the wrong side of 35, AB near the end of his prime, and Bell near his....

you are better off taking that money and extending younger players.

paying for a running back is like paying for a closer in MLB.

I like my fiscally responsible family narrative more. . .it's a better story than referring to a cold faceless corporation run by guys in suits checking their spreadsheets :lol:

Perhaps he didn't sign because there is a good chance tomorrow's PITT/CLE is cancelled.  If that happens, he doesn't forfeit his Week 1 game check and he has extra time to heighten the tension even more.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

Perhaps he didn't sign because there is a good chance tomorrow's PITT/CLE is cancelled.  If that happens, he doesn't forfeit his Week 1 game check and he has extra time to heighten the tension even more.

Lol 

1 minute ago, Johnny Rico said:

That is one hell of a gamble.

Imagine if NFL players had theme songs like they do in the WWE. 

*Steelers offense takes the field for the first drive of the game. Big Ben audibles Conner to the right -- insert Le'Veon Bell theme song --*

Jim Ross: BAH GAWD IT'S LE'VEON BELL! I CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!!!

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

They offered him one of the biggest contracts for an rb in the league, a fair #...he just wants more.   They are not worried about the cost of Bell,  and I doubt any one of the Rooney family is excited that the might have 15m more dollars in their collective wallets if he sits the year out.  

I agree with the above who just said he should just be transparent with his Intent. That gives the team a better idea of what’s going on, brings some semblance of clarity to this whole mess and let’s the guys focus on football and game plan for life without him.

But..... that doesn’t stick it to the Steelers, so that’s not gonna happen. He wants to hurt the team. That’s where my issue with this is. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

You can’t be serious.....

2 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

I agree with the above who just said he should just be transparent with his Intent. That gives the team a better idea of what’s going on, brings some semblance of clarity to this whole mess and let’s the guys focus on football and game plan for life without him.

But..... that doesn’t stick it to the Steelers, so that’s not gonna happen. He wants to hurt the team. That’s where my issue with this is. 

Takes two to tango, i have no sides in this, both are operating from a business perspective and utlizing the chips they have within agreements that are in place

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

If it works out he's a diabolical genius.

Also an oracle. This isn't a white-out. I live in a close burb of Cleveland and the rain just stopped. It is supposed to get worse overnight, but it is just water.

8 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Takes two to tango, i have no sides in this, both are operating from a business perspective and utlizing the chips they have within agreements that are in place

If he wants to hold out ten games by all means do it. If that’s what he feels best for himself long term that’s his decision. He gains absolutely nothing, as long term signing period is already gone, in not revealing to the team what he plans on doing. He gains nothing by keeping them in the dark, other than creating this dark cloud of questions and drama over his teammates head.

Every week will be a distraction about whether he will or won’t come back. His teammates don’t deserve that. He’s doing them dirty with this, and I imagine he wants the team to fail so he can point and laugh and say “See, i told you all how valuable I am”

Edited by Nyblazer11235
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

If he wants to hold out ten games by all means do it. If that’s what he feels best for himself long term that’s his decision. He gains absolutely nothing, as long term signing period is already gone, in not revealing to the team what he plans on doing. He gains nothing by keeping them in the dark, other than creating this dark cloud of questions and drama over his teammates head.

Every week will be a distraction about whether he will or won’t come back. His teammates don’t deserve that. He’s doing them dirty with this, and I imagine he wants the team to fail so he can point and laugh and say “look see how I told you all how valuable I am”

It does take two to tango but bell is dancing a solo right now.

As I said above, I have no dog in this fight. The difference is the Steelers are being transparent.  They are open in their position, we franchised you, we are not trading you and not rescinding the franchise.  What bell is doing by not being transparent is causing infighting with his teammates.  What does that locker room look like when he comes back in week 11? And he says what up, I got five games left peeps.

Edited by jjbooda
  • Like 1

Just now, Chardo said:

Bell just doesn't want to play in the rain.

Right?

It's supposed to be like the movie Hard Rain with Morgan Freeman by game time. Who can blame him.

15 minutes ago, psygolf said:

They offered him one of the biggest contracts for an rb in the league, a fair #...he just wants more.   They are not worried about the cost of Bell,  and I doubt any one of the Rooney family is excited that the might have 15m more dollars in their collective wallets if he sits the year out.  

1. That contract was  completely team friendly because of the way it structured the guaranteed money.

2. Fairness is a subjective valuation

3. What's wrong with wanting more?

4. They already factor in the cost of Bell ecery season

5. it's not about saving or spending $15mm it's about being locked into a contract obligation that the Rooney family believes won't benefit them in the long term, hence using the tags and the current standoff today

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

I agree with the above who just said he should just be transparent with his Intent.

The Steelers had to know Bell wasn't going to be happy getting tagged a second time as a RB. 

Would they have offered more guaranteed money.   Would they have traded him.  

The only way the CBA is going to change is if more high profile players sacrifice some money and teams realize it is a possibility going forward in the future.

• Like 2