Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Smh...It is my opinion (and a common one) that without the baggage he carries that he'd have an amicable contract.

Or...if DWill had not played as well as he did in Bell's absence he might have his $$ by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

Ok then we may as well take it to the extreme and say God put him in this position?:lol:

The Rooneys should have let him test the market value to see if he would have gotten anything better than what they were willing to offer. 

They didnt because they probably thought he would have negotiated a better deal with another team.

 

His union negotiated these rules, approved and adopted by the players.  If a team wants to retain your exclusive rights, they have to pay you the average of the 5 highest salaries at your position.  The structure hurts the very best, in order for the bargaining to take care of everyone else.  If a player doesn't it, tough.  You took a union job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Smh...It is my opinion (and a common one) that without the baggage he carries that he'd have an amicable contract.

you change your argument from one post to another, how convenient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, panthers93 said:

you change your argument from one post to another, how convenient

Please explain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

I can point you to multiple tweets saying the EXACT opposite.    His teammates were as surprised as fantasy owners.   

I always thought it was known that Le’Veon Bell wanted a long term contract that had some guaranteed money involved. I also thought it was known he was unhappy last year when the Steelers franchised him... if those two things are true then you have to believe Le’Veon being franchise for the second year in a row would cause some ripples and all parties knew that Le’Veon might do what he is doing 

 

 

20 minutes ago, psygolf said:

1. Because of Bell's current age, attitude, injury & drug history = they offered him the same deal (or better) than what he'd get as a FA.

2. The Rooney's are not fretted on how to maintain their lifestyle while keeping the payroll checks from bouncing...get real.

The Steelers & the Rooney’s should have offered their franchise back some guaranteed money to keep him happy instead of franchising him for the second year in a row, instead they decided let’s just run him and if he gets hurt then so be it.....they knew 2018 was going to be Bell’s last season in Pittsburgh 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

 

I'm fine with locking this thread but we need to stop spreading this rumor that there's no reason for him to play before week 11.  That's not true.  He loses $850k per game he misses.  That's a big incentive for him to report.  I get that he doesn't want to be injured before signing his mega deal, but that's a separate statement.  

I don’t think it’s injury he’s worried about since he is most likely insured for that, he is worried he is going to be run to the ground and the gms won’t want to pay a ton of guaranteed money to a back who had back to back seasons of 400+ touches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how this ends exactly but i'm putting my prediction in now that he ends up with Indy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a big time deal with lots of money guaranteed at the end of the rainbow if Bell sits out until week 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shakestreet said:

The Steelers & the Rooney’s should have offered their franchise back some guaranteed money to keep him happy instead of franchising him for the second year in a row, instead they decided let’s just run him and if he gets hurt then so be it.....they knew 2018 was going to be Bell’s last season in Pittsburgh 

Shake...they offered him a contract, he turned it down.  What was it reported...70m (i'm not sure) -??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, psygolf said:

Shake...they offered him a contract, he turned it down.  What was it reported...70m (i'm not sure) -??

Only 10M was guaranteed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, psygolf said:

Shake...they offered him a contract, he turned it down.  What was it reported...70m (i'm not sure) -??

Yeah but most of it wasn't guaranteed. He wants something close to gurley's guarantee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, psygolf said:

You presented their personal wealth vs that of other owners with more money coming in from other industries as a reason why they hold their cards tighter...I simply said that their payroll does not reflect that belief of yours.

 

And i said that it's a mindset about being fiscally responsible when it comes to running an organization when it's your sole source of wealth.  You will be more reluctant to assume certain risks such as long term deals for certain players. The payroll or salary cap  is mandated by the CBA but the teams negotiate the individual contracts.  You don't seem to understand the distinction between salary cap and contracts. 

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psygolf said:

They offered him one of the biggest contracts for an rb in the league, a fair #...he just wants more.   They are not worried about the cost of Bell,  and I doubt any one of the Rooney family is excited that the might have 15m more dollars in their collective wallets if he sits the year out.  

nope. the guaranteed money, the only part that matters to either side because that's what they actually HAVE to pay him, was s---. it was a crappy offer for somebody who's been as important to their offense as he's been. 

 

The Rooney's have been making money off this team for decades and they will continue to make money off the team for however long they want to. The average career length for an NFL RB is 3 years. Bell needs to get what he can while he can and he's using the only leverage he has available. 

 

Also the NFL players' union is a joke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellie826 said:

I don’t think it’s injury he’s worried about since he is most likely insured for that, he is worried he is going to be run to the ground and the gms won’t want to pay a ton of guaranteed money to a back who had back to back seasons of 400+ touches.

 

Sure. Super valid point. He'll initially lose something around $8.5M if he reports by week 11, but save himself a good amount of wear n tear. Makes sense. Still, That $8.5Mil is alot of money.  I'm not a contract man but if he gets 50Mil in guaranteed money with his new deal, it would be maybe more like 50M minus the 8.5M he could have had.  I can see it both ways.  But pretty much 100% agree that as he hasn't reported by today, I don't think he'll report until week 11.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Shake...they offered him a contract, he turned it down.  What was it reported...70m (i'm not sure) -??

First time you are hearing about that contract ain’t IT? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chardo said:

 

His union negotiated these rules, approved and adopted by the players.  If a team wants to retain your exclusive rights, they have to pay you the average of the 5 highest salaries at your position.  The structure hurts the very best, in order for the bargaining to take care of everyone else.  If a player doesn't it, tough.  You took a union job. 

 

And he has the right to not sign the franchise tender which he is doing. So not sure what the problem is. The  Rooneys played hardball and Bell is playing hardball back.

When unions don't like contacts they strike and when owners don't like union contracts they lockout.

Everyone has a choice right?:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ellie826 said:

I don’t think it’s injury he’s worried about since he is most likely insured for that, he is worried he is going to be run to the ground and the gms won’t want to pay a ton of guaranteed money to a back who had back to back seasons of 400+ touches.

 

That's the Steelers philosophy.  And it's smart.  RBs are easily replaced, so get a good one, run him into the ground while he's cost effective, then move on to the next.  There's a reason that franchise is consistently competitive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yossarian said:

nope. the guaranteed money, the only part that matters to either side because that's what they actually HAVE to pay him, was s---. it was a crappy offer for somebody who's been as important to their offense as he's been. 

 

The Rooney's have been making money off this team for decades and they will continue to make money off the team for however long they want to. The average career length for an NFL RB is 3 years. Bell needs to get what he can while he can and he's using the only leverage he has available. 

 

Also the NFL players' union is a joke.

 

Under appreciated fact is guaranteed money has to be paid upon signing with CASH put in an escrow. 

No option to pay it out as new revs come in or over time.it has an immediate impact upon the teams liquidity.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dashoe said:

 

And he has the right to not sign the franchise tender which he is doing. So not sure what the problem is. The  Rooneys played hardball and Bell is playing hardball back.

When unions don't like contacts they strike and when owners don't like union contracts they lockout.

Everyone has a choice right?:)

 

Exactly.  Bell is doing what he believes is best for him.  But he can't blame anyone else for the ramifications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

And i said that it's a mindset about being fiscally responsible when it comes to running an organization when it's your sole source of wealth.  You will be more reluctant to assume certain risks such as long term deals for certain players. The payroll or salary cap  is mandated by the CBA but the teams negotiate the individual contracts.  You don't seem to understand the distinction between salary cap and contracts. 

There has been no sign that the fiscal "stress" facing the Steelers has forced them into making player decisions that other teams with more money wouldn't also make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chardo said:

 

That's the Steelers philosophy.  And it's smart.  RBs are easily replaced, so get a good one, run him into the ground while he's cost effective, then move on to the next.  There's a reason that franchise is consistently competitive. 

I don’t disagree with that at all. It’s genius but they shouldn’t be surprised when a rb that has leverage, pushes back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dashoe said:

 

Under appreciated fact is guaranteed money has to be paid upon signing with CASH put in an escrow. 

No option to pay it out as new revs come in or over time.it has an immediate impact upon the teams liquidity.

 

Is this true? the LAA had to put $240,000,000.00 in escrow when they signed Albert Pujols to a 10 year deal? 

Doesn't sound right... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Only 10M was guaranteed 

 

At what point would the 2018 base salary have been guaranteed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the BS aside, fantasy wise, is Bell even worth a pick before the 5th round for those having last second drafts? I honestly don't think so at this point. After leaving this much cash on the table, it wouldn't make a ton of sense to give in and show up next week or the week after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.