Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, HTM said:

Is this true? the LAA had to put $240,000,000.00 in escrow when they signed Albert Pujols to a 10 year deal? 

Doesn't sound right... 

i'm assuming you are talking about baseball? I don't know anything about baseball except they make a lot of money sitting and standing around. . ..:lol:

NFL contracts, the teams have to put guaranteed money into an escrow account.

• Like 1

Just now, dashoe said:

i'm assuming you are talking about baseball? I don't know anything about baseball except they make a lot of money sitting and standing around. . ..:lol:

NFL contracts, the teams have to put guaranteed money into an escrow account.

Yes, that's baseball... I don't know why their guaranteed money would work differently... but I'm happy to take your word for it with regards to the NFL.

5 minutes ago, psygolf said:

There has been no sign that the fiscal "stress" facing the Steelers has forced them into making player decisions that other teams with more money wouldn't also make.

I never made that claim.

Your point also could support that because the Rooneys are fiscally responsible they don't have  financial stress because they don't lock themselves into bad player contracts

Again why do you keep presenting irrelevant arguments? :)

3 hours ago, roughnecker101 said:

Dudes brother just died. Pretty sure he's not worried football.

Omg, Mac Miller? You know Mac Miller is white right? lmao

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psygolf said:

There has been no sign that the fiscal "stress" facing the Steelers has forced them into making player decisions that other teams with more money wouldn't also make.

I take that as a yes on the contract 

. you’re not alone a few others here  have completely had that oh my that can’t be true. 

When they find out they start to mumble to themselves “maybe I don’t know” 

4 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

At what point would the 2018 base salary have been guaranteed?

Once the 53 man roster is decided, right!?  (not sure of the deadline dates)    

So a $10m signing bonus + 15m in 2018 salary is > than playing on the tag on my planet.

7 minutes ago, HTM said:

Yes, that's baseball... I don't know why their guaranteed money would work differently... but I'm happy to take your word for it with regards to the NFL.

Don't take my word

Section 9. Funding of Deferred and Guaranteed Contracts: The NFL may require that by a prescribed date certain, each Club must deposit into a segregated account the present value, calculated using the Discount Rate, less $2,000,000, of deferred and guaranteed compensation owed by that Club with respect to Club funding of Player Contracts involving deferred or guaranteed compensation; provided, however, that with respect to guaranteed contracts, the amount of unpaid compensation for past or future services to be included in the funding calculation shall not exceed seventy-five (75%) percent of the total amount of the contract compensation. The present value of any future years’ salary payable to a player pursuant to an injury guarantee provision in his NFL Player Contract(s), shall not be considered owed by a Club under this Section until after the Club has acknowledged that the player’s injury qualifies him to receive the future payments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I take that as a yes on the contract 

. you’re not alone a few others here  have completely had that oh my that can’t be true. 

When they find out they start to mumble to themselves “maybe I don’t know” 

I do not know what you're mumbling about...please tell us what you know to be true about the Bell situation.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Don't take my word

Section 9. Funding of Deferred and Guaranteed Contracts: The NFL may require that by a prescribed date certain, each Club must deposit into a segregated account the present value, calculated using the Discount Rate, less $2,000,000, of deferred and guaranteed compensation owed by that Club with respect to Club funding of Player Contracts involving deferred or guaranteed compensation; provided, however, that with respect to guaranteed contracts, the amount of unpaid compensation for past or future services to be included in the funding calculation shall not exceed seventy-five (75%) percent of the total amount of the contract compensation. The present value of any future years’ salary payable to a player pursuant to an injury guarantee provision in his NFL Player Contract(s), shall not be considered owed by a Club under this Section until after the Club has acknowledged that the player’s injury qualifies him to receive the future payments.

Correct.   In English: 

One other factor that keeps owners from doling out guarantees is an arcane CBA rule mandating that any fully guaranteed money be placed into escrow at the time of signing. This means that even if the guarantees are paid to the player over the course of one, two, or even three years, ownership still must place all of that guaranteed money into a separate bank account. Owners don’t like to do this because they’d rather not part with money until they absolutely have to. Meanwhile, agents hate the escrow stipulation, colloquially known as “the fully funded rule,” because owners reference it whenever they turn their pockets inside out and shrug

• Like 2

Bell is special, but the Steelers realize he’s replaceable. Bell has been suspended, and injured. He comes with risk, and the Steelers don’t want to bet their future on Bell. Some team will pay him what he wants, irregardless of Steelers concerns. But as we have seen many times with players chasing money, they end up on a crap team, and never get back to the glory they had. 

For Bell, it’s not about football and winning. It’s about his bank account, which is fine. For me, I want to watch players that are playing to win with their teammates, no matter how much they get paid...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I never made that claim.

Your point also could support that because the Rooneys are fiscally responsible they don't have  financial stress because they don't lock themselves into bad player contracts

Again why do you keep presenting irrelevant arguments? :)

I simply disagree with your angle that their unique financial situation, that being that the team is their only source of income/revenue, has a part in this mess.

10 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

Bell is special, but the Steelers realize he’s replaceable. Bell has been suspended, and injured. He comes with risk, and the Steelers don’t want to bet their future on Bell. Some team will pay him what he wants, irregardless of Steelers concerns. But as we have seen many times with players chasing money, they end up on a crap team, and never get back to the glory they had. 

For Bell, it’s not about football and winning. It’s about his bank account, which is fine. For me, I want to watch players that are playing to win with their teammates, no matter how much they get paid...

That's the thing though. I don't think some team is going to pay him what he wants. We see most running backs go to the graveyard at 29. So who is going to give him this 4 year deal for 15+ a year, into his 30's? It's not going to happen and Bell is literally taking money away from himself. He's lost his mind honestly and waaaay overvaluing the RB position. Sure Gurley can get that because he was 23 when he signed that deal. Not 27! Gurley also hasn't been suspended twice and been a complete headache.

I'm telling you, he has literally gone insane listening to this agent. There is no way in hell this works out the way he wants it to.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 2

To break the monotony of back and forth over the Steelers contract offer from the summer, here is a classic argument from the anti-Leveon side from disgruntled best-ball owners who drafted months ago. This arrogant blowhard wants Joe Public to come up with the EV for Le’veon despite Joe Public not having access to:

1) Others team executives to get a ballpark on what offers to expect

2) How does Le’veon’s body feel? Does he NEED a lighter workload?

3) A complete injury expectation on 27yo’s with this much wear & tear, with this much expected usage rate, in the Pittsburgh winter climate, etc.

4) Does Le’veon even like working for Tomlin?

Etc, etc, etc....

No wonder this clown sounds so terrible on podcasts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

That's the thing though. I don't think some team is going to pay him what he wants. We see most running backs go to the graveyard at 29. So who is going to give him this 4 year deal for 15+ a year, into his 30's? It's not going to happen and Bell is literally taking money away from himself. He's lost his mind honestly and waaaay overvaluing the RB position. Sure Gurley can get that because he was 23 when he signed that deal. Not 27! Gurley also hasn't been suspended twice and been a complete headache.

And Gurley is the face of the franchise, extremely marketable (as seen by his prevalence in commercials), and moral golden boy.

The guy is the total package.

Bell isn't.

20 more catches a year pales in comparison to all those PR intangibles Gurley brings.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

And Gurley is the face of the franchise, extremely marketable (as seen by his prevalence in commercials), and moral golden boy.

Bell isn't.

20 more catches a year pales in comparison to all those PR intangibles Gurley brings.

I agree Gurley does deserve more than Bell for a variety of factors but 10m guarenteed for Bell is insultingly low. Bell should be getting at least 25-30m min

• Like 2

2016 Operating Income Numbers:

NE Patriots - $247 million

Pittsburgh Steelers - $107 million

Since the Steelers have spent close to the cap in recent years, it appears that it is only with their players where they are willing to spend $.

3 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

I agree Gurley does deserve more than Bell for a variety of factors but 10m guarenteed for Bell is insultingly low. Bell should be getting at least 25-30m min

You want to get Gurley money when you were his age? Then don't get suspended twice and cost the team multiple games for repeated substance abuse. Nobody wants to invest long term into that, no matter how good you are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

You want to get Gurley money when you were his age? Then don't get suspended twice and cost the team multiple games for repeated substance abuse. Nobody wants to invest long term into that, no matter how good you are. 

Exactly

7 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Bell isn't.

Fair-  but we are talking 10m guaranteed vs 45

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

It looks like he probably wanted his $10m signing bonus + 2 years guaranteed...and 45m guaranteed wasn't happening.

He would've had 25m in his pocket had he signed the deal and suited up on Sunday

Edited by psygolf

3 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

No show today, what are your thoughts on week 2 and beyond? 

Personally, I think it's pretty clear he's not showing up until Week 11 at this point. I mean if you are going to do it, you better do it all. He can't sign a contract with the Steelers, so he has to go all the way now. And I think I've laid out why I think this is seriously one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in sports. Dude thinks he's gonna get a 4 year deal eclipsing Gurley money lmao After repeat substance abuse suspensions and moving on 30 as an RB. Dude is the Kanye of sports.

Edited by MrPositive

16 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

If if this were the first franchise tag I'd see your point. But this is the second one.   They already decided they don't want to pay him but didn't  let him go out and get a contract this year. Instead they basically tried to steal a year at below market value it was a dick move because given the only offer made after the tag it was apparent they were negotiating in bad faith and had no intention to offer a legit contract. So how can anyone be mad or judge Bell harshly for not showing up.  

• Like 2