Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Sorry man.    You had faith till the end.  

Btw—-  go avalanche,  boo red wings. :P

Let's count banners 

6 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

No show today, what are your thoughts on week 2 and beyond? 

The chance of week 10 just got a lot higher. Because if you aren't collecting all the game checks then what would be the point of collecting 15 of them or 14 of them?  By staying away for week 1 he has indicated it isn't about the money he is leaving on the table.  

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

The chance of week 10 just got a lot higher. Because if you aren't collecting all the game checks then what would be the point of collecting 15 of them or 14 of them?  By staying away for week 1 he has indicated it isn't about the money he is leaving on the table.  

I'm assuming the strip clubs are cheaper in Pitt than in Vegas...hope he is at least staying local.

5 minutes ago, Panthor said:

I can think of 850,000 reasons. Even for someone as wealthy as Bell...there's definitely a difference between missing e.g. 10 game checks vs. 2 game checks. 

7 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Or he is bluffing and wants the Steelers to think exactly this and give him the fat contract he wants now.

For one of the two leagues I'm in, we had our draft around 2 weeks ago. I took him 2nd overall. 

Dumb of me not to do more homework and dumb to have our draft so early, but where the heck were the "experts" on this one? They all had him top 3...I didn't see a single blurb warning of any potential hold out.

It's their job to do these rankings. NO ONE saw this coming? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OBJfor6 said:

Or he is bluffing and wants the Steelers to think exactly this and give him the fat contract he wants now.

They can't....there is no more negotiating until the season is over

1 hour ago, HTM said:

Is this true? the LAA had to put $240,000,000.00 in escrow when they signed Albert Pujols to a 10 year deal? 

Doesn't sound right... 

You realize that baseball is...a totally different sport, correct?

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

Press F to pay respects to Bell owners without Connor

Just think if you are in one of those BIG money leagues, like a $5000 buy in and you got the 2nd pick. OMDG I'd need time at the mental ward. It's one thing to see Johnson go down playing last season. But a guy  literally walking away from a million bucks a game in unreal.

13 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

I can think of 850,000 reasons. Even for someone as wealthy as Bell...there's definitely a difference between missing e.g. 10 game checks vs. 2 game checks. 

And in his mind he has 30,000,000 reasons to stay away. 

11 minutes ago, OBJfor6 said:

Omg. How many more times does this need to be said. Th isn't a contract hold out or negotiating ploy. PIT tagged him, the deadline to sign an extension passed months ago.  Even if they wanted to sign him now and give him exactly what he asked for they couldn't do it. 

3 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Just think if you are in one of those BIG money leagues, like a $5000 buy in and you got the 2nd pick. OMDG I'd need time at the mental ward. It's one thing to see Johnson go down playing last season. But a guy  literally walking away from a million bucks a game in unreal.

My guess, anyone who joins a 5k buy-in and drafted before last week (and drafted Bell at 1.02)  >>> has 5k laying around everywhere and doesn't miss it.

3 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

In my main league, I picked AP as my first pick in 2016, DJ in 2017 and now Bell in 2018. :(

Pls let us know your inclinations next year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

For one of the two leagues I'm in, we had our draft around 2 weeks ago. I took him 2nd overall. 

Dumb of me not to do more homework and dumb to have our draft so early, but where the heck were the "experts" on this one? They all had him top 3...I didn't see a single blurb warning of any potential hold out.

It's their job to do these rankings. NO ONE saw this coming? 

Everyone expected Leveon to show up after preseason, just like he did last year.  The league, the Steelers, the fans, fantasy participants and experts, the media, etc.

Hell, I think Leveon even expected to until a few days or weeks ago - he tweeted as much.

We'll never know for sure what changed in his mind, probably Gurley and other contracts + his agent and maybe friends/family, but something apparently did.

Otherwise, he was an idiot to suggest he'd play instead of being decisive early on, when everybody had more time to explore options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

In my main league, I picked AP as my first pick in 2016, DJ in 2017 and now Bell in 2018. :(

Stay in touch next August!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

In 2019, please let us know who you take in the 1st so we can zag. Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Everyone expected Leveon to show up after preseason, just like he did last year.  The league, the Steelers, the fans, fantasy participants and experts, the media, etc.

Hell, I think Leveon even expected to until a few days or weeks ago - he tweeted as much.

We'll never know for sure what changed in his mind, probably Gurley and other contracts + his agent and maybe friends/family, but something apparently did.

Otherwise, he was an idiot to suggest he'd play instead of being decisive early on, when everybody had more time to explore options.

Why didn't he just take this deal? It's not much less than Gurley's. Not sure on the timing exactly but it seems like he turned this down prior to Gurley's deal being announced. 

"NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Steelers offered Le'Veon Bell a five-year, $70 million contract prior to Monday's 4 PM ET deadline.

Per RapSheet, the offer contained more than $30 million over the first two years, but Bell has opted to instead play on the $14.544 million tag for the second straight year before hitting free agency at 27 years old next March. The $14 million average on the Steelers' offer would easily make Bell the league's highest-paid back, an honor held at the moment by Devonta Freeman at $8.25 million per year. It's hard to see Bell doing better than this next offseason, but we'll see.

Jul 16 - 6:57 PM"

I'm ignorant on this topic obviously but I thought people were saying Bell wanted a long term deal...but this says he turned a long term deal down. He turned down the long term deal and is now refusing to play under the short term deal? Seems like a big middle finger to the fans and his team. He's putting free agency over everything. 

Edited by mbell317
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tread_Lightly said:

Maybe Bell thinks he is going to be compensated / traded like Kallil Mack. Different positions- apples to oranges. 

Mack was a little different still under contract for 1 year and team control for 2 more after this year. Any trade for Bell would be for this year only.  Not sure what kind of haul they'd expect to get back

1 minute ago, Tread_Lightly said:

Maybe Bell thinks he is going to be compensated / traded like Kallil Mack. Different positions- apples to oranges. 

Trading him has been outlined on here and ESPN ad nauseum and it's insanely difficult. Because the team that gets him will also have to franchise him and pray and hope he signs with them at the end of the year. Not too many teams are going to give up much for that opportunity. Especially a guy that hasn't shown much loyalty lately.

1 minute ago, mbell317 said:

Why didn't he just take this deal? It's not much less than Gurley's. Not sure on the timing exactly but it seems like he turned this down prior to Gurley's deal being announced. 

"NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Steelers offered Le'Veon Bell a five-year, $70 million contract prior to Monday's 4 PM ET deadline.

Per RapSheet, the offer contained more than $30 million over the first two years, but Bell has opted to instead play on the $14.544 million tag for the second straight year before hitting free agency at 27 years old next March. The $14 million average on the Steelers' offer would easily make Bell the league's highest-paid back, an honor held at the moment by Devonta Freeman at $8.25 million per year. It's hard to see Bell doing better than this next offseason, but we'll see.

Jul 16 - 6:57 PM"

I'm ignorant 

Because that deal offered less guaranteed money then he would get if he just signed the franchise tag with the added bonus of being tied down for multiple years. That is how bad that offer was. 

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

Trading him has been outlined on here and ESPN ad nauseum and it's insanely difficult. Because the team that gets him will also have to franchise him and pray and hope he signs with them at the end of the year. Not too many teams are going to give up much for that opportunity. Especially a guy that hasn't shown much loyalty lately.

How much loyalty would you show me to someone who is basically screwing you over.  Just stop with the loyalty argument. Bell has repeatedly said he wanted to stay. They couldn't come to an agreement. That is fine. But instead of letting him leave PITt decided to hold him hostage. Which is their right to do, but you can't put it on Bell to have this reaction