Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

Because that deal offered less guaranteed money then he would get if he just signed the franchise tag with the added bonus of being tied down for multiple years. That is how bad that offer was. 

Okay well then just take the franchise tag. By taking nothing, and sitting out, he's drawing a lot of negative attention to himself. This is supposed to make him look attractive to teams next off-season? I think he overvalued himself and he will find that a year from now. 

Meanwhile his team and the fans suffer for his selfish greed. 

5 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Because that deal offered less guaranteed money then he would get if he just signed the franchise tag with the added bonus of being tied down for multiple years. That is how bad that offer was. 

I do not read the offered contract that way...the $10m guaranteed part was all of the signing bonus.

Then his 2018 salary, another 15m, would be guaranteed if he kept himself free of injury/suspension at the start if the season....which should be easy for 99% of the rbs in the league.

Edited by psygolf

21 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Just think if you are in one of those BIG money leagues, like a $5000 buy in and you got the 2nd pick. OMDG I'd need time at the mental ward. It's one thing to see Johnson go down playing last season. But a guy  literally walking away from a million bucks a game in unreal.

if youre paying 5k to get into a fantasy league, you have bigger problems than a Lev Bell holdout [/Mother Theresa ruler palm slap] 

Edited by SuperMarksBros.

1 minute ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

if youre paying 5k to get into a fantasy league, you have bigger problems than a Lev Bell holdout [/Mother Theresa ruler slap] 

Seriously, the Rooney company league is only $1 to get in...but no payout. (administrative costs)

Bell just believes in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. In my opinion, he should just do it. Coming out of this on top seems impossible or crazy, until it is done. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mbell317 said:

Okay well then just take the franchise tag. By taking nothing, and sitting out, he's drawing a lot of negative attention to himself. This is supposed to make him look attractive to teams next off-season? I think he overvalued himself and he will find that a year from now. 

Meanwhile his team and the fans suffer for his selfish greed. 

I tend to agree. We all know he has every right to do what he is doing. The question is whether it is the right/smart decision. 

Is it right to live your teammates hanging out to dry by making it seem like you were playing week 1 and then flaking out? 
Will he actually benefit, financially, from this move. We may never know. He could get a 5/100 million dollar deal in the off-season but he may have gotten that either way. But it's  hard to imagine he will get 10 million more by not playing 9 games. Maybe he will, but with RBs contracts being so stingy it seems unlikely he will get the deal his agents are convincing him he will get. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Panthor said:

How much loyalty would you show me to someone who is basically screwing you over.  Just stop with the loyalty argument. Bell has repeatedly said he wanted to stay. They couldn't come to an agreement. That is fine. But instead of letting him leave PITt decided to hold him hostage. Which is their right to do, but you can't put it on Bell to have this reaction

He screwed himself over. Don't do drugs if you want to make bank and get a long term contract. They are doing what's right for their franchise. He did this to himself, period.

Just now, MrPositive said:

He screwed himself over. Don't do drugs if you want to make bank and get a long term contract. They are doing what's right for their franchise. He did this to himself, period.

And I am sure future employers will be thrilled to see Leveon tweeting about Mac Miller instead of playing football. There is nothing that tells NFL teams you are beyond your Suspension issues and all about winning than telling the world that you were tight with a dude that just died from an overdose. I know it sounds cold, but that is the NFL. They are giving out tens of millions of dollars. They want to be sure that investment is a sound one especially given the salary cap implications. 

• Like 2

I think the next possible date to look out for is October 20th.

That is the Saturday before the bye week.  He will collect his game check for the bye, and only have to play 3 additional games than if he waited till after week 10.

He would at that point save 6 games of potential injury and wear and tear and still pocket about 9.4 million.

8 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

And I am sure future employers will be thrilled to see Leveon tweeting about Mac Miller instead of playing football. There is nothing that tells NFL teams you are beyond your Suspension issues and all about winning than telling the world that you were tight with a dude that just died from an overdose. I know it sounds cold, but that is the NFL. They are giving out tens of millions of dollars. They want to be sure that investment is a sound one especially given the salary cap implications. 

You guys are taking this too personal. This is a business. He will get signed in the off-season and he will get a ton of money.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

You guys are taking this too personal. This is a business. He will get signed and he will get a ton of money.

He's gonna lose money. You watch. Just like Dez thought it was real smart to open his mouth. Teams just don't get crazy excited about players who only think of themselves over the team. Players with prior drug issues. Players who cause a headache each year. Most teams are much more concerned about a player that fits with the team and is about the team, regardless of talent. He's gonna lose this one badly.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

You guys are taking this too personal. This is a business. He will get signed in the off-season and he will get a ton of money.

That isn't the question. The question is whether he will get 10 million more than if he had played this year. Otherwise, he is throwing away money by not playing. I am not a Steelers fan and I only have Bell in one league so I am not sweating this too much, just commenting on a players poor decisions. 

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I do not read the offered contract that way...the $10m guaranteed part was all of the signing bonus.

Then his 2018 salary, another 15m, would be guaranteed if he kept himself free of injury/suspension at the start if the season....which should be easy for 99% of the rbs in the league.

That's the thing. The Franchise tag gave him 14M even if he had major injury in the off-season. This deal only netted him 10M if a worst case off-season happened.  Giving a player a deal that offers less security than a franchise tag? Is asking them to refuse. Was it really that much of a pain for the Steelers to at least Match the franchise tag. Then give those added incentives?

53 minutes ago, Panthor said:

If if this were the first franchise tag I'd see your point. But this is the second one.   They already decided they don't want to pay him but didn't  let him go out and get a contract this year. Instead they basically tried to steal a year at below market value it was a dick move because given the only offer made after the tag it was apparent they were negotiating in bad faith and had no intention to offer a legit contract. So how can anyone be mad or judge Bell harshly for not showing up.  

I agree the Steelers were trying to squeeze one more year out of him, but it certainly wasn’t cheap, not top back money, but not cheap either. However, this is a business, and it was laid out in the CBA rules for franchise tagging. If players don’t like those rules, they need to complain to their union. 

I believe the steelers did want to keep Bell a steeler for long term, last year when they franchised him, but his antics combined with his history (injury and suspensions) soured them, and decided they weren’t going to do him any favors, and used the franchise rules to their advantage. 

Both sides handled this poorly, and everything snowballed quickly. I don’t see Bell even wanting to put a Steeler uniform on, and playing with any heart, and I think management already wrote him off, and could care less if he shows up or not. 

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

He's gonna lose money. You watch. Just like Dez thought it was real smart to open his mouth. Teams just don't get crazy excited about players who only think of themselves over the team. Players with prior drug issues. Players who cause a headache each year. Most teams are much more concerned about a player that fits with the team and is about the team. He's gonna lose this one badly.

Someone will give him atleast a 3 year/45 mill 30  mill guaranteed contract.  He probably wont get as much as he thinks, but he should be able to get atleast that.

42 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You realize that baseball is...a totally different sport, correct?

OMG you're right I didn't even notice they were different sports... 

That totally explains why a professional sports organization in football would have to put the value of the guaranteed contract in escrow but in baseball they wouldn't for some reason.. because in one sport you throw a football and in the other you throw a baseball.. 

Great point. 

Edited by HTM

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

He's gonna lose money. You watch. Just like Dez thought it was real smart to open his mouth. Teams just don't get crazy excited about players who only think of themselves over the team. Players with prior drug issues. Players who cause a headache each year. Most teams are much more concerned about a player that fits with the team and is about the team. He's gonna lose this one badly.

Dez has lost a step. Dez can't get separation. LB is in the prime of his career and will make any team better instantly.

Here are some names to consider, Vick, Suh, Cutler, Haynesworth, Harvin, etc, etc, etc.....all players with question marks on the field and off the field and still got big contracts. There are more. A lot more. It's a business. You produce. You get paid.

3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Someone will give him atleast a 3 year/45 mill 30  mill guaranteed contract.  He probably wont get as much as he thinks, but he should be able to get atleast that.

So at 27, 15 million a year, 28, 15 million a year, and 29, 15 million a year. Did nobody watch Demarco Murray and Arian Foster fall to pieces at 28 and especially 29 years old? Dude is dreaming if he thinks he's going to get Gurley money at that age, for a volatile position, and with multiple past issues. 

Edited by MrPositive

2 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

It's going to really hurt his bargaining power if Conner balls out. Teams arent wild about signing RB's at his age, with his character and injury concerns in the first place

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Dez has lost a step. Dez can't get separation. LB is in the prime of his career and will make any team better instantly.

I never said he didn't. But to be completely ostracized by the league? He did that. He should be playing, but he just couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Edited by MrPositive

2 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

I believe the steelers did want to keep Bell a steeler for long term, last year when they franchised him, but his antics combined with his history (injury and suspensions) soured them, and decided they weren’t going to do him any favors, and used the franchise rules to their advantage. 

Then you shouldn't be mad at him holding out.  Teams are abusing the franchise tag.  It was never meant to be a one year rental.  It's meant to be a stop gap to sign your franchise player to a longer deal.  If the Steelers have no intention of keeping him around, why would they care if they just ran him into the ground.

And why would LeVeon want to go into a situation like that.

11 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

I think the next possible date to look out for is October 20th.

That is the Saturday before the bye week.  He will collect his game check for the bye, and only have to play 3 additional games than if he waited till after week 10.

He would at that point save 6 games of potential injury and wear and tear and still pocket about 9.4 million.

This seems pretty logical

1 minute ago, BornandbredHeel said:

This seems pretty logical

But why? He won't be out of the franchise tag zone then. He needs to get to week 11 to be completely free, or they'll just franchise him again next season.

11 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Heres the problem. While I think the Steelers made an offer they wanted him to refuse. Is really going to be better off?

Had he simply survived this Off-season banks 22-25M even with a major injury week 1 this year. Where a week after the holdout 12 Injury he only banks 4-5M. There is ways for this to completely backfire on Bell.

Edited by Slatykamora

2 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I never said he didn't. But to be completely ostracized by the league? He did that. He should be playing, but he just couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Dont quote me on this, but at least three teams have offered Dez contracts. I know the Ravens and Browns for sure. It's not like he has been disregarded. Some of the blame is on him. TO was another problem child but received numerous offers despite his antics. The antics became bigger when his play diminished.