Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

45 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

He is gonna report and be a little whiny brat and play half a** and walk after the year.

James Connor might be a good RB but the Steelers look like they can use Le'Veon Bell.  He should be rested and fresh. 

I hope Bell didn't watch Earl Thomas get hurt on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

James Connor might be a good RB but the Steelers look like they can use Le'Veon Bell.  He should be rested and fresh. 

They can use bell but if he don’t get a contract he is gonna give it 10%. 

1 minute ago, Zekepeak86 said:

After watching Earl Thomas,  I can't say I blame him.   The NFL should figure out a way to avoid hold outs with the better players in the league.

The franchise tag creates more problems than it's worth at this point.    And fans get ticked off and the games are not better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

He can't get a contract, they're well past the date where a non-franchise tag deal can be negotiated

I keep seeing these reports of sources saying he will be back after week 7... I still have not seen a quote from bell saying that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

He did watch it

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000968896/article/leveon-bell-on-earl-thomas-injury-ill-be-the-bad-guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

After watching Earl Thomas,  I can't say I blame him.   The NFL should figure out a way to avoid hold outs with the better players in the league.

The franchise tag creates more problems than it's worth at this point.    And fans get ticked off and the games are not better.

Well at least he doesn't play a position that takes the most violent hits per game or is on a team that will give him the ball 30-35 times a game leaving injury likely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

I keep seeing these reports of sources saying he will be back after week 7... I still have not seen a quote from bell saying that?

i assumed it was leaked by his representatives

regardless he has to be back by week 10 at latest to be able to get a free agent deal in 2019

otherwise the steelers still have his rights

and oh yeah he is pissing away 800k every week by not playing

I don’t own a share of bell and I’m glad. He’s a superstar and can do it all but I don’t see how him playing for the Steelers is good for either. A trade to a team bell can live with is his best option and even that is worrisome.

There doesn’t seem to be many sound options here...

He goes back to the Steelers all disgruntled and stirs up the locker room and doesn’t give 100%. The Steelers feel he abandoned them for 7 weeks and depending on record possibly ruined a season.

He doesn’t go back to the Steelers til week 11 and claims soreness/injury each week and doesn’t play. Just there collecting checks and avoiding fines

He goes back to the Steelers and gives 100% to earn a payday elsewhere and sucks it up and apologizes to his teammates and organization.

The Steelers trade him and then his situation is completely different on who knows what team.

which scenario seems the most realistic? Pittsburgh already said they are gonna play with who they have. They don’t seem like the kind of team and management to bite the bullet and apologize. Neither does bell. Both are in the wrong and both have a valid arguement.

either way, it’s gotta drive fantasy owners crazy. I’m glad I avoided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zekepeak86 said:

I don’t own a share of bell and I’m glad. He’s a superstar and can do it all but I don’t see how him playing for the Steelers is good for either. A trade to a team bell can live with is his best option and even that is worrisome.

There doesn’t seem to be many sound options here...

He goes back to the Steelers all disgruntled and stirs up the locker room and doesn’t give 100%. The Steelers feel he abandoned them for 7 weeks and depending on record possibly ruined a season.

He doesn’t go back to the Steelers til week 11 and claims soreness/injury each week and doesn’t play. Just there collecting checks and avoiding fines

He goes back to the Steelers and gives 100% to earn a payday elsewhere and sucks it up and apologizes to his teammates and organization.

The Steelers trade him and then his situation is completely different on who knows what team.

which scenario seems the most realistic? Pittsburgh already said they are gonna play with who they have. They don’t seem like the kind of team and management to bite the bullet and apologize. Neither does bell. Both are in the wrong and both have a valid arguement.

either way, it’s gotta drive fantasy owners crazy. I’m glad I avoided.

Bell has said he can't wait to get back out there and play. And play for the Steelers on top of it. He is even hoping they still end up giving him a long term deal after the season, because he wants to retire a Steeler.

As someone who has him on my fantasy team, I can't wait for him to get back out there. He seems motivated to show the Steelers he is worth every dollar of a big contract.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

Bell has said he can't wait to get back out there and play. And play for the Steelers on top of it. He is even hoping they still end up giving him a long term deal after the season, because he wants to retire a Steeler.

As someone who has him on my fantasy team, I can't wait for him to get back out there. He seems motivated to show the Steelers he is worth every dollar of a big contract.

And then they'll possibly transition tag him next year.  Leading to all sorts of fun.

Source

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, datsyuk said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TTo34 said:

And then they'll possibly transition tag him next year.  Leading to all sorts of fun.

Source

The transition tag would give the Steelers the right of first refusal on Bell. Once transition-tagged, Bell would then have two options. He could sign a transition offer sheet, which would pay him either the average of the top-10 paid players at his position, or 120 percent of his previous year’s salary. Because Bell has not been playing yet this season, the Steelers could argue that his 2018 salary was only $9.4 million (assuming he reports in Week 7 as is being reported and plays in 10 games). 120 percent of $9.4 million would make Bell’s salary only $11.3 million for 2019.

wowwww that's a real twisty twist

33 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Because Bell has not been playing yet this season, the Steelers could argue that his 2018 salary was only $9.4 million (assuming he reports in Week 7 as is being reported and plays in 10 games). 120 percent of $9.4 million would make Bell’s salary only $11.3 million for 2019

If they are interested in having Bell as their RB they shouldn't do that. If they are interested in giving the team a signal that they not even let you go but force you in a "bad "contract, they should do it. 

But as I understand when another team offers any deal higher than that, he will at least have this salary either at this team or the Steelers. So if no team is willing to give him big money, he will be forced to sign that deal.

6 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

But that was what the franchise tag was supposed to do, protect top level players with big money, and to protect the team as well. They are getting paid a mint for 1 season and then can look elsewhere after the season. Bell is the first one to holdout on a franchise tag that I know of. Regardless, nobody is going to be on the streets next year begging for handouts. haha

I'm just keeping my head above water without him. If I can just keep it up until week 8...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Source

It's only going to get more disruptive the longer they prolong the divorce. I think this is a leverage tactic to get him back on the field. If he leaves in the off-season they get a 3rd rounder and the drama goes away.

Would he really come back and not give 100%? You would think that being on the field and not looking great would affect how much his next contract would be. I don't see him milking it or claiming injury when his next contract could depend on it.

The only thing that scares me is his usage. This is a business and the Steelers goal is to win games. So he really should slide right back in as the workhorse, but it could go any way (50/50 split, sticking with Connor, etc). I feel like if they benched him and kept losing, ownership would have something to say and could cost Tomlin his job so if I had to guess, he gets his job back.

3 hours ago, TennisDude said:

But that was what the franchise tag was supposed to do, protect top level players with big money, and to protect the team as well. They are getting paid a mint for 1 season and then can look elsewhere after the season. Bell is the first one to holdout on a franchise tag that I know of. Regardless, nobody is going to be on the streets next year begging for handouts. haha

No it wasn't. The franchise tag was designed as a way for small market teams to foster top tier talent and keep them on their rosters. 

It has now turned into a way to stick players in purgatory.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

No it wasn't. The franchise tag was designed as a way for small market teams to foster top tier talent and keep them on their rosters. 

It has now turned into a way to stick players in purgatory.

I disagree with everything above.

• Like 1

Him coming in before the wk 10 deadline probably means a trade is close to being made.

9 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

When Le'Veon gets on the field I expect him to give 100%, I just can't see him giving anything less that 100. He can't just lay down on every play. Football is violent sport where injuries happen even on non-contact plays.

I agree with your assessment trading Le'Veon makes the most sense ... No way is that going to happen. All teams would love to have a Bell/Conner backfield