Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I think Le'Veon was right to protect his but he was wrong in how he handled his teammates. He lied to them. He should have just been straight.

 

I agree with this. He should've been more upfront to his teammates. I still would be surprised if many of them held a grudge once he shows up though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bell has burned his bridges in Pittsburgh to a crisp.  I suspect that if the Steelers can't trade him, they will exempt him for as long as possible, then make him inactive.

 

The Roneys are notorious in their discipline and hardball take it or leave it tactics when it comes to player contracts. I'm sure there is some wiggle room for both sides in the current situation but they will always do what is in their best interests and they never give anything away or cripple themselves contract wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Maybe you can be bought off easily but speak for yourself, I wouldn't assume they're all like that.

 It's the wins that matter not the gifts dude. If they don't win and make the playoffs then he becomes the scapegoat. if they make the playoffs and win the SB that's all that matters and he is a hero. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Why doesn't Bell send out a Tweet saying he will be back rather than having a staff writer voice it for him?

 

He's probably "coming back" because he wants to be traded. That's my guess at least,

 

Also don't be surprised if he gets "injured". He will still be able to collect his game checks correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can't he sign now and collect more money. Pitt won't start him now anyway, they will have 1-2 weeks for him to get into game mode. He can start 7th and then have a significant portion of his 2018 money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

 

He's probably "coming back" because he wants to be traded. That's my guess at least,

This is probably the truth. Teams won't trade for a player who is planning to sit out the entire season. By announcing he plans to return week 7, he is telling potential buyers that he wants to play before the halfway mark of the season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

I agree with this. He should've been more upfront to his teammates. I still would be surprised if many of them held a grudge once he shows up though

 

I'm not sure why anyone thinks it was in bells' best interests to tell the team he would not show before wk1. The point of successful negotiations is to reach a middle ground where both sides feel they got what they wanted most and the way you protect your interests could be to have some form of leverage. The leverage of will he or won't he show works for bell because then Pitt wont invest in a replacement before the season starts. What incentive was it for bell to reveal he would be a no show? he is neogtiating for his future income not the twitter likes of his teammates or their approal, some who probably won't even be therr next season.

 

So this view of telling his teammates he will be a no show demonstrates some have never been in contract negotiations before or have a very naive view of business and thinking the NFL is like their local high school team, 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

 

He's probably "coming back" because he wants to be traded. That's my guess at least,

 

Also don't be surprised if he gets "injured". He will still be able to collect his game checks correct?

Neither of these would surprise me. Bell seems to be all about the money now. If I was the Steelers I don’t know if I’d want him back anyway. Doesn’t really seem too committed to football or his teammates if he’s not satisfied with a “time & a half” salary offer over the next highest paid back (except Gurley). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

He lied to them and consequently made them look stupid. They think he's very selfish. A stupid watch gift fixing that would be a major contradiction.

 

"lied"

Please tell me you're joking.....believe in "sources". its Certain Steeler players/Steelers management/Pro-NFL media VS Le'veon.....so of course they would paint Le'veon as the guy lying to his teammates

 

If it's not directly from Le'veon, there's a 99.9% chance its false

Edited by goke
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goke said:

 

"lied"

Please tell me you're joking.....believe in "sources". its Certain Steeler players/Steelers management/Pro-NFL media VS Le'veon.....so of course they would paint Le'veon as the guy lying to his teammates

 

If it's not directly from Le'veon, there's a 99.9% chance its false

 

Exactly but who cares if he '"lied" or changed his mind. The guy is betting on potential millions  of his future income and he has little to know leverage in the situation. Allhe can do is sit or show up and play. Thats it, that's his leverage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

 

He's probably "coming back" because he wants to be traded. That's my guess at least,

 

Also don't be surprised if he gets "injured". He will still be able to collect his game checks correct?

He's getting in there just before the deadline... Hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

I'm not sure why anyone thinks it was in bells' best interests to tell the team he would not show before wk1. The point of successful negotiations is to reach a middle ground where both sides feel they got what they wanted most and the way you protect your interests could be to have some form of leverage. The leverage of will he or won't he show works for bell because then Pitt wont invest in a replacement before the season starts. What incentive was it for bell to reveal he would be a no show? he is neogtiating for his future income not the twitter likes of his teammates or their approal, some who probably won't even be therr next season.

 

So this view of telling his teammates he will be a no show demonstrates some have never been in contract negotiations before or have a very naive view of business and thinking the NFL is like their local high school team, 

 

What exactly did he gain from misleading tweets and statements?   His only leverage is playing or not.  Could have easily said he wouldn’t report early season if he was tagged.   Teammates wouldn’t have blamed him...most other franchises wouldn’t have blamed him.   It’s not at all related to leverage.   

 

The guy is leading the league in touches and was only offered 10M in guarantees from the Steelers.    You don’t need to fool anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So this view of telling his teammates he will be a no show demonstrates some have never been in contract negotiations before or have a very naive view of business and thinking the NFL is like their local high school team, 

 

Negotiations ended mid-July. After that point Pitt couldn't offer him a long term contract so I'm not sure what leverage he gained.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Negotiations ended mid-July. After that point Pitt couldn't offer him a long term contract so I'm not sure what leverage he gained.

 

Exactly.   At that point you just state your intentions and be transparent.    Everyone knows the deal they offered you is hollow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Negotiations ended mid-July. After that point Pitt couldn't offer him a long term contract so I'm not sure what leverage he gained.

 

Will he or won't he show is leverage and gamesmanship in itself, it sets the table for future interactions and it prevents the team from investing in another replacement player; it also signals to other potential counterparties that he is serious about getting a contract closer to his terms. He shows he can be an unpredictable counterparty who will disrupt what is an assumed outcome, meaning going forward if you are on the other side of the table have to operate in best faith  to secure a desired outcome and avoid the most undesireable outcome.  Come on guys you all know this from studying gametheory/prisoners dilemma in school.

 

Pitts goal this year is to win a SB and bell playing gives them the best option to secure that goal. They franchised bell and assummed he would play under the tag and called his bluff about not showing up for week 1. They are  now 1-2-1  and losing their bet. 

This is not about his current tag it's about his future contract. uncertainty is always leverage when dealing with a counterparty

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, "I have not talked to Le'Veon [Bell] and I really have no Le'Veon update."

Bell reportedly plans to return to the team during the Week 7 bye, but the coach is not looking that far ahead. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Tomlin said. "Nothing has changed from my perspective in that regard." It is exactly what an NFL coach is expected to say, but it is notable after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Steelers are still listening to trade offers despite Bell's plan to return. Bell is going to play this year, but it remains possible it is not with the Steelers.
 
 
Oct 2 - 12:16 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomlin has to keep the locker room.  And he can only do that by focusing on the players who are with the team, and hopefully winning some games.  This quote certainly exemplifies that attitude.  The sooner the Bell distraction is behind the Steelers for good, the better they will be able to focus on turning their season around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t understand the purpose of telling everyone including the team that needs you, that you’ll be back week 7. Why tease us? Your team needs you NOW. Why on earth aren’t you with the steelers now if you don’t want to get hurt. Just vome back week 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CABLE87 said:

I just don’t understand the purpose of telling everyone including the team that needs you, that you’ll be back week 7. Why tease us? Your team needs you NOW. Why on earth aren’t you with the steelers now if you don’t want to get hurt. Just vome back week 10.

And he STILL hasn’t talked to his coach or anyone with the team about it.   This could be more nonsense posturing.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

 

Will he or won't he show is leverage and gamesmanship in itself, it sets the table for future interactions and it prevents the team from investing in another replacement player; it also signals to other potential counterparties that he is serious about getting a contract closer to his terms. He shows he can be an unpredictable counterparty who will disrupt what is an assumed outcome, meaning going forward if you are on the other side of the table have to operate in best faith  to secure a desired outcome and avoid the most undesireable outcome.  Come on guys you all know this from studying gametheory/prisoners dilemma in school.

 

I get it now, showing that he's unpredictable and unreliable actually GAINED him leverage. Whatever man. You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not buying it at all. You certainly haven't made a strong enough argument to be condescending about it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goke said:

 

"lied"

Please tell me you're joking.....believe in "sources". its Certain Steeler players/Steelers management/Pro-NFL media VS Le'veon.....so of course they would paint Le'veon as the guy lying to his teammates

 

If it's not directly from Le'veon, there's a 99.9% chance its false

So you'll take one guy's word but not another? Please elaborate so I understand because right now I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I just don’t understand the purpose of telling everyone including the team that needs you, that you’ll be back week 7. Why tease us? Your team needs you NOW. Why on earth aren’t you with the steelers now if you don’t want to get hurt. Just vome back week 10.

I’m sure he knows what’s best for him 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zen25 said:

Why can't he sign now and collect more money. Pitt won't start him now anyway, they will have 1-2 weeks for him to get into game mode. He can start 7th and then have a significant portion of his 2018 money.

 

I'm pretty sure leveon has no clue what he's doing. From all indications, he was going to play week 1 then everyone else started getting deals and it upset him so he started to hold out. Now he's just winging it. 

 

The funny part is that he points to the Earl Thomas injury as proof that he's justified in holding out but the reality is that he would have be way better off playing from week 1, balling out, breaking his leg in week 4 and being completely healthy heading into 2019.

Instead, if Bell starts playing week 7 any potential injury will likely linger into next year and cost him all the money from weeks 1-6 this year and a big contract next year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krest509 said:

I’m sure he knows what’s best for him 

 

 

Really? You mean like junior Gillette who passed on a multi million dollar deal in the off-season, got no other offers and is now begging on Instagram to play for the vet minimum?

 

These guys are rich because of their athleticism, not their brains. Never assume these guys know what they're doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.