Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

anyone know if it is against the rules for his agent to be lobbying other teams to make a trade?  maybe some of those wink and nod deals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers teammates on line 1:

 

"We need you man.  We are 1-2-1.  Couple big games coming up."

 

Bell:

 

"I'll see you cats in three weeks.  Wink wink."

 

Teammates:

 

"..."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious as to why he's choosing week 7 to come back.  Why not come back right now?   Why not come back week 11?   Why even make the announcement?  This doesn't make sense to me.  If he wanted leverage, then he should announce he'll hold out until week 11 even though he intends to come back week 7.  He loses leverage by making this week 7 announcement.  I'm wondering if there's something else going on, maybe a pending trade agreement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nbay23 said:

I'm curious as to why he's choosing week 7 to come back.  Why not come back right now?   Why not come back week 11?   Why even make the announcement?  This doesn't make sense to me.  If he wanted leverage, then he should announce he'll hold out until week 11 even though he intends to come back week 7.  He loses leverage by making this week 7 announcement.  I'm wondering if there's something else going on, maybe a pending trade agreement. 

 

Maybe it's as simple as wanting to come back during the bye week. 

During the bye week seems to make a lot of sense... no game...  a week of practice with the team to get up to speed for week 8. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Panthor said:

anyone know if it is against the rules for his agent to be lobbying other teams to make a trade?  maybe some of those wink and nod deals?

That’s what I don’t know.   What are the rules on pitt and his agent communicating to other teams?  It’s tough to see any trade unless there’s some kind of under the table agreement that bell will sign, be traded, then sit out the season with a big contract waiting.      Can’t risk playing this year with only a “wink, wink” contract in place.    The whole idea is very illogical. 

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

I get it now, showing that he's unpredictable and unreliable actually GAINED him leverage. Whatever man. You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not buying it at all. You certainly haven't made a strong enough argument to be condescending about it 

 

Hes right though. Part of Bell’s leverage is Pittsburgh not knowing exactly when he will show up. If they did know, they could plan accordingly and make the uncertainty around Bell less of an issue. It’s common sense really. If  Bell originally said, “I will be back week 7”, the Steelers could have planned accordingly and wouldn’t be facing as much of a circus/story because the questions are already answered.

 

By not telling them his plans originally, it out Pittsburgh in a bind, thus GIVING BELL MORE LEVERAGE.

 

How is this so hard for some to comprehend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Godfather131 said:

 

Hes right though. Part of Bell’s leverage is Pittsburgh not knowing exactly when he will show up. If they did know, they could plan accordingly and make the uncertainty around Bell less of an issue. It’s common sense really. If  Bell originally said, “I will be back week 7”, the Steelers could have planned accordingly and wouldn’t be facing as much of a circus/story because the questions are already answered.

 

By not telling them his plans originally, it out Pittsburgh in a bind, thus GIVING BELL MORE LEVERAGE.

 

How is this so hard for some to comprehend?

I think it is much more likely that by playing it the way he did, Bell simply angered the Steelers organization to such an extent that they are now moving on from him, one way or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HTM said:

 

Maybe it's as simple as wanting to come back during the bye week. 

During the bye week seems to make a lot of sense... no game...  a week of practice with the team to get up to speed for week 8. 

Yeah, that kind of make sense.  But still, he should just come back right before the bye week then without this announcement.  Same effect, but still has leverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Godfather131 said:

 

Hes right though. Part of Bell’s leverage is Pittsburgh not knowing exactly when he will show up. If they did know, they could plan accordingly and make the uncertainty around Bell less of an issue. It’s common sense really. If  Bell originally said, “I will be back week 7”, the Steelers could have planned accordingly and wouldn’t be facing as much of a circus/story because the questions are already answered.

 

By not telling them his plans originally, it out Pittsburgh in a bind, thus GIVING BELL MORE LEVERAGE.

 

How is this so hard for some to comprehend?

 

You don’t have to announce exactly when-  just say “ as of now, I have no plans to report without a long term deal.”   Simple.    

 

You don’t change your leverage situation any.   But you do come across looking methodical and sticking to your principles...instead of petty and not truthful.   Big difference   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, krest509 said:

I’m sure he knows what’s best for him 

 

 

Iul, that’s not what I’m trying to get at. What I’m saying is what is your purpose to say I want to win games, I want to play football, knowing the Stillers could use your services to win games. I think everyone here was already game planning including the Steelers to be without him til Week 11, now you announce to Fowler that you will be back week 7? Out of the blue? why? Cause the Stillers need you? They need you now. Not 2 weeks from now. I just don’t understand the tease. Are you announcing this before the trade deadline to get traded to another team?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

 

Hes right though. Part of Bell’s leverage is Pittsburgh not knowing exactly when he will show up. If they did know, they could plan accordingly and make the uncertainty around Bell less of an issue. It’s common sense really. If  Bell originally said, “I will be back week 7”, the Steelers could have planned accordingly and wouldn’t be facing as much of a circus/story because the questions are already answered.

 

By not telling them his plans originally, it out Pittsburgh in a bind, thus GIVING BELL MORE LEVERAGE.

 

How is this so hard for some to comprehend?

 

What leverage? What has occurred in the last few weeks to show you that Bell has had any leverage over the Steelers. They've moved on from him. Whatever he thought he was doing has backfired. He isn't getting paid now and future teams may question his dedication to winning. 

Whatever contract he gets in the off season won't be any higher because if his hold out. It was a colossal miscalculation.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think he’s using these next 3-4 weeks to get into shape. He could do that with them, but I think he’s still trying to prove his point and get in shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, owenmills said:

 

I get it now, showing that he's unpredictable and unreliable actually GAINED him leverage. Whatever man. You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not buying it at all. You certainly haven't made a strong enough argument to be condescending about it 

 

yes because he disrupted the assumed outcome that he would play week1. The steelers assummed he would play week 1 and it didnt happen. The next engagement with the steelers or other counterparty eliminates the built in assumption that he won't disrupt a deal he doesnt want to perform under.  if he told them he wouldnt play the season and the team believed him then the steelers would logically operate accordingly. They thought he was bluffing and he wasnt and going forward they are wiser for it and it changes the dynamic of future negotiations. 

Do you think the Steelers did the right thing' by tagging him with an exclusive vs non exclusive tag? Did they tell Bell they would cap his comp and not let him test teh mkt? No, they made a calculation that they beleived gave them advantage.

 

Sorry but you are not providing a compelling  or logical argument based within the context of compensation negotiations as to why Bell should have announced to his team he would sit out. aside from 'doing it the right way' or being a good teammate.

This is simple game theory, it's not about the current contract that's already determined, this is about positioning his future contract, whether he stays wit the steelers or is traded away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CABLE87 said:

 

Iul, that’s not what I’m trying to get at. What I’m saying is what is your purpose to say I want to win games, I want to play football, knowing the Stillers could use your services to win games. I think everyone here was already game planning including the Steelers to be without him til Week 11, now you announce to Fowler that you will be back week 7? Out of the blue? why? Cause the Stillers need you? They need you now. Not 2 weeks from now. I just don’t understand the tease. Are you announcing this before the trade deadline to get traded to another team?

The trade deadline would make sense as a waypoint for reporting then.  There may be something in the works.  The Eagles have been aggressive with running back moves as recently as last season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tpat30 said:

I honestly think he’s using these next 3-4 weeks to get into shape. He could do that with them, but I think he’s still trying to prove his point and get in shape.

I had this thought as well. And it also aligns well with the trade deadline so that he could also be in shape to be traded to other teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

 

Hes right though. Part of Bell’s leverage is Pittsburgh not knowing exactly when he will show up. If they did know, they could plan accordingly and make the uncertainty around Bell less of an issue. It’s common sense really. If  Bell originally said, “I will be back week 7”, the Steelers could have planned accordingly and wouldn’t be facing as much of a circus/story because the questions are already answered.

 

By not telling them his plans originally, it out Pittsburgh in a bind, thus GIVING BELL MORE LEVERAGE.

 

How is this so hard for some to comprehend?

 

Describe what the leverage is. Pittsburgh can't cave and give him his extension. They really can't do anything. They'll get a 3rd if he walks, so they won't take less than that in a trade which nobody is going to offer. The trade angle is tough anyways, since he's not even under contract. Rescinding the franchise tag? Why would they do that after he screwed them.

 

Leverage implies you have some type of enhanced ability to gain something. What exactly is his angle here, besides just skipping games to minimize his wear & tear before he heads to free agency. That's self preservation, not contract negotiation 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

I'm pretty sure leveon has no clue what he's doing. From all indications, he was going to play week 1 then everyone else started getting deals and it upset him so he started to hold out. Now he's just winging it

 

 

 

 

That's called a changing market value. Same way mack got his deal with the bears, the Darnold contract changed the pay scale and forced the Raiders to trade him away to the team willing to pay the new price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nbay23 said:

I'm curious as to why he's choosing week 7 to come back.  Why not come back right now?   Why not come back week 11?   Why even make the announcement?  This doesn't make sense to me.  If he wanted leverage, then he should announce he'll hold out until week 11 even though he intends to come back week 7.  He loses leverage by making this week 7 announcement.  I'm wondering if there's something else going on, maybe a pending trade agreement. 

I still have yet to see a quote where Lev said that, there are a lot of quotes from Fowler's conversation but as far as I know it has just been sources tell us he plans to come back, and what actually gets quoted is much more vague on his exact return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dashoe said:

 

 

That's called a changing market value. Same way mack got his deal with the bears, the Darnold contract changed the pay scale and forced the Raiders to trade him away to the team willing to pay the new price.

 

Right, but the market for 27 year old running backs hasn't changed. 

He'll learn in the off-season that his market is pretty much what the Steelers offered him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think it is much more likely that by playing it the way he did, Bell simply angered the Steelers organization to such an extent that they are now moving on from him, one way or another.

 

 

they had already moved on when they made that offer,  it was a "don't let hte door hit you on the way out" offer.  they simply wanted to use him for one more season and take advantage of the situation.  since July the situation has been one of cooperation by necessity.  they need each other to accomplish their goals.  PIT wants to make the playoffs and have a good season.  Bell wants his next big contract.  that situation hasn't changed,  so when Bell comes back they will move on with that plan.  they may not like each other and there may be some deep resentment but it will all be put aside so that they each can reach their respective goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 

That's called a changing market value. Same way mack got his deal with the bears, the Darnold contract changed the pay scale and forced the Raiders to trade him away to the team willing to pay the new price.

Lol dashoe.   So bells trade value has increased by lying to his team and surprising the league with a holdout?   Plus rap videos, jetskis, and south beach clubs.   

 

Please let me give you a high draft pick for a half season rental...

 

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

 

 

they had already moved on when they made that offer,  it was a "don't let hte door hit you on the way out" offer.  they simply wanted to use him for one more season and take advantage of the situation.  since July the situation has been one of cooperation by necessity.  they need each other to accomplish their goals.  PIT wants to make the playoffs and have a good season.  Bell wants his next big contract.  that situation hasn't changed,  so when Bell comes back they will move on with that plan.  they may not like each other and there may be some deep resentment but it will all be put aside so that they each can reach their respective goals. 

This seems most likely.   IF he actually intends to report. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

You don’t have to announce exactly when-  just say “ as of now, I have no plans to report without a long term deal.”   Simple.    

 

You don’t change your leverage situation any.   But you do come across looking methodical and sticking to your principles...instead of petty and not truthful.   Big difference   

 

 

 

 

 

maybe that's a tactic to manipulate a trade, come across as a disgruntled player. The Steelers have a history or trading away top talent skills players they view as problematic and not worth the money. 

I think it's interesting for people to say he should do this or he should do that instead of evaluating the potential effectiveness of what he actually is doing. 

 There are 2 things going on here.

 

1. his management team is discussing things privately with the Steelers mgmt team

2. he is personally using social media in some sort of PR style campaign

3. obviously 1 or both sides allow something to leak or purposely provide false information

 

Now you can agree or disagree with his method but to simply dismiss it as bereft of logic/calculation and just simply a random spontaneous emotion driven act of a stupid football player with no comprehension of the stakes involved is being quite shortsighted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Right, but the market for 27 year old running backs hasn't changed. 

He'll learn in the off-season that his market is pretty much what the Steelers offered him.

 

I agree but that's the bet that he is making, he will personally change the market.

He will be 100% right or 100% wrong with the inevitable outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't you worry, bell is hoping for an injury to a team thats built to win now where they would lose big part of their running game such as stud rb, then bell's value goes up a lot even if its just for a trade. That's really his only hope.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.