Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

they had already moved on when they made that offer,  it was a "don't let hte door hit you on the way out" offer.  they simply wanted to use him for one more season and take advantage of the situation.  since July the situation has been one of cooperation by necessity.  they need each other to accomplish their goals.  PIT wants to make the playoffs and have a good season.  Bell wants his next big contract.  that situation hasn't changed,  so when Bell comes back they will move on with that plan.  they may not like each other and there may be some deep resentment but it will all be put aside so that they each can reach their respective goals. 

it was very evident what the Steelers position was when they tagged him with an EXCLUSIVE vs non-exclusive tag.  They did not want the market to assign a true value to Bell which the probability was higher than the nonexclusive tag and  they would have been forced to pay to retain him. They knew exactly what they were doing. I agree they tagged him with no intent to give him a long term deal post season because they want to see  if they get the SB

Edited by dashoe

This could be totally off base, but when he first announced that he would be coming back the first thing I thought was he is doing this so he can be traded. I see no way that Pitt is going to let him play at this point. By saying he is coming back they now have a deadline to trade him. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

it was very evident what the Steelers position was when they tagged him with an EXCLUSIVE vs non-exclusive tag.  They did not want the market to assign a true value to Bell which the probability was higher than the nonexclusive tag and  they would have been forced to pay to retain him. They knew exactly what they were doing. They tagged him with no intent to give him a long term deal post season

i know, that's what i've been saying this whole time

1 minute ago, cyberwatty said:

This could be totally off base, but when he first announced that he would be coming back the first thing I thought was he is doing this so he can be traded. I see no way that Pitt is going to let him play at this point. By saying he is coming back they now have a deadline to trade him. Thoughts?

NFL trade deadline is OCT 30

1 minute ago, cyberwatty said:

they will play him if they can't trade him, they want to make the playoffs and the last 2 weeks have clearly shown that they still need him

10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I agree but that's the bet that he is making, he will personally change the market.

He will be 100% right or 100% wrong with the inevitable outcome. 

Gurley already set the market with 45M guaranteed.  DJ got 30.  Those are young mega talents and quality human beings.   Not guys who have been popped multiple times for drugs.  With multiple ACL tears....

I really can’t see how any of this behavior helps him get more money-  but ok-   We will see.   You’re right he’s playing a zero sum game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Really? You mean like junior Gillette who passed on a multi million dollar deal in the off-season, got no other offers and is now begging on Instagram to play for the vet minimum?

These guys are rich because of their athleticism, not their brains. Never assume these guys know what they're doing.

He did what was best for him and it didn’t work out ??‍♂️ 

They have agents, that needs to show them the Risk factor 

37 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Gurley already set the market with 45M guaranteed.  DJ got 30.  Those are young mega talents and quality human beings.   Not guys who have been popped multiple times for drugs.  With multiple ACL tears....

I really can’t see how any of this behavior helps him get more money-  but ok-   We will see.   You’re right he’s playing a zero sum game. 

I don't see any team opening up their coffers to do a better deal than Gurley or Dj but i'm not betting against one of them coming close or paying better than the Steelers.

As much as we like to assign rational behavior to front offices there have been too many examples where logi goes out of the window or an owner steps in and makes the vanity call

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

I really can’t see how any of this behavior helps him get more money-  but ok-   We will see.  

1 hour ago, krest509 said:

He did what was best for him and it didn’t work out ??‍♂️ 

They have agents, that needs to show them the Risk factor 

This has been explained multiple times.  

Le'Veon is trying to preserve his health by not playing in 16 NFL games so he can enter free agency as healthy as possible and try and get as much guaranteed money as he can.      This is about  GUARANTEED  MONEY,   which a player can get more of if he signs a multi-year deal,  but he must be healthy to maximize that money.

Who is going to pay him in a trade?  

I liked the 49rs, but that doesn’t make sense anymore.  The Jets?  They’re not contenders...

The Team that needs him the most is the Steelers with Conner struggling.  I think that ship is sailed..

The Steelers will play him if he returns, but that seems more like a week 9 thing.

Bell might as well sit the entire year.  I think that’s the most probable outcome at this point...

5 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I liked the 49rs, but that doesn’t make sense anymore.  The Jets?  They’re not contenders...

The Team that needs him the most is the Steelers with Conner struggling.  I think that ship is sailed..

The Steelers will play him if he returns, but that seems more like a week 9 thing.

Bell might as well sit the entire year.  I think that’s the most probable outcome at this point...

The O line is struggling which makes Conner struggle.

The DEFENSE is also affecting Conner.........

28 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Sounds like an angry Connor owner

People are just out of their minds if they really think Connor is on the same level as Bell, talent wise. It's not even remotely close.

Bell is coming back to play half the season to:

1. Get his garaunteed money this year.

2. Keep his value high for next year.

If he actually sat out this whole season, other teams are NOT going to empty the vault paying this guy. He needs to show he can still play at an elite level this year if he wants to cash in.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

People are just out of their minds if they really think Connor is on the same level as Bell, talent wise. It's not even remotely close.

If he actually sat out this whole season, other teams are NOT going to empty the vault paying this guy. He needs to show he can still play at an elite level this year if he wants to cash in.

Everyone is well aware of what Bell is capable of. He doesn’t need to play this year to keep his value high for next year. He’s 26, so it’s not like anyone is expecting a drop off in athleticism due to his age or something. I think there are certain factors in play that will incentivize him to play this year, but proving that he is still an elite talent should not be one of them. 

8 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

If he stays on Steelers and gets up to speed, Connor wont see more than 3-5 touches a game.  Thats how much better Bell is.

3 hours ago, DJSatane said:

don't you worry, bell is hoping for an injury to a team thats built to win now where they would lose big part of their running game such as stud rb, then bell's value goes up a lot even if its just for a trade. That's really his only hope.

pretty sure PIT is hoping for the same, it would be best for everyone if they can have a clean break here

5 hours ago, goke said:

"lied"

Please tell me you're joking.....believe in "sources". its Certain Steeler players/Steelers management/Pro-NFL media VS Le'veon.....so of course they would paint Le'veon as the guy lying to his teammates

If it's not directly from Le'veon, there's a 99.9% chance its false

well it is Bell who said this, Fowler spoke with him over the phone.  so unless you want to say Fowler is making it up which is highly unlikely given his position being employed by ESPN, i really don't see him making up a quote or story. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

pretty sure PIT is hoping for the same, it would be best for everyone if they can have a clean break here

well it is Bell who said this, Fowler spoke with him over the phone.  so unless you want to say Fowler is making it up which is highly unlikely given his position being employed by ESPN, i really don't see him making up a quote or story. 

I love the end, “if he does get traded, he wants to go to a team that values him and winning”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

I saw the week 7, but I have a hard time believing it.

It conflicts with Bell’s response when Earl Thomas went down.

47 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Sounds like an angry Connor owner

Nope.  I own neither, but I’d be willing to trade for Bell.

But first I need a good trade destination...

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Hoping for a Bell trade. 

but where? Who is SB ready or 1 piece away but needs an elite rb and has the $$$ to spend?

What I hear, from what Bell is saying, is that the Steeler now know they need him.  So, he thinks the Steelers will offer a better deal.

I don’t see it.  Looking at what the Steeler are doing, I’m thinking they’re in rebuilding mode, and not Super Bowl mode.

Ben’s QBR rating is in the middle of the pack.  I think they’re looking toward the post Ben era.  Paying a RB top dollar isn’t rebuilding.

I’d rebuild around Mason Rudolph, their two star receivers, oline, and D in general.  That mean Bell’s money is spent in the FA.

The Steelers D is currently ranked 30th.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense