Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

My best trade destination is Baltimore.

I think Baltimore thinks they’re contenders.  They don’t have a ton of money, but they might be able to make it work...

What’s the likelihood of the Steelers trading Bell to their biggest rivals?  Steelers fans would go nuts!

I bet Bell would love that destination though ; )

44 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I saw the week 7, but I have a hard time believing it.

It conflicts with Bell’s response when Earl Thomas went down.

why would you have a hard time believing it.  this is straight from him, Fowler is quoting him, Fowler isn't doing the he believes this to be true based on some conversation he had with someone with the team, or Bell's friend, the report is this came directly from him.  as far as i can tell this is the first official date that has been set by him directly.  everything else before has been speculation and assumptions made by others.

it actually doesn't conflict, all he said is he will continue to be the "bad guy"  when he said that it was week 4, then he tells Fowler over the phone he is coming back during the week 7 bye week.  there is no contradiction there. 

The main reason the Steelers have not yet released Bell is that they don't want Bell ending up on Baltimore.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

why would you have a hard time believing it.  this is straight from him, Fowler is quoting him, Fowler isn't doing the he believes this to be true based on some conversation he had with someone with the team, or Bell's friend, the report is this came directly from him.  as far as i can tell this is the first official date that has been set by him directly.  everything else before has been speculation and assumptions made by others.

it actually doesn't conflict, all he said is he will continue to be the "bad guy"  when he said that it was week 4, then he tells Fowler over the phone he is coming back during the week 7 bye week.  there is no contradiction there. 

I think Bell is attempting to keep himself in GM’s minds to trade for, and that he’s not really the “bad guy”.

I take the Earl Thomas response to be he’ll sit out the year if necessary.  That seems more genuine...

I haven’t seen any signs the Steelers are flinching on a long term deal.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The main reason the Steelers have not yet released Bell is that they don't want Bell ending up on Baltimore.

Once Bell hits FA next year, that’s his most likely destination, right?

That would make for some great football drama...

Edited by seanismorris

That's why Pittsburgh will prefer to trade Bell to an NFC team, which will then sign Bell to a long term deal.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's why Pittsburgh will prefer to trade Bell to an NFC team, which will then sign Bell to a long term deal.

Or do nothing.  Whenever Bell comes back, he comes back...  they get the 3rd round compensation anyways.

When he leaves for the FA...

1 minute ago, seanismorris said:

Or do nothing.  Whenever Bell comes back, he comes back...  they get the 3rd round compensation anyways.

When he leaves for the FA...

They signed two free agents and lost one.  If they lose Bell, it will break even.  No compensation.

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Is there any way that Pittsburgh can orchestrate a trade that involves rescinding the tag?

No team can sign him to a long term deal until after the season without rescinding the tag. But I wonder if there's a legal way for them to basically trade away their rights for compensation and in the process rescind the tag. 

It seems like that would be win-win-win for Bell, the Steelers, and whoever they trade to. 

16 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

? No... I don’t think they have the cap room for him. The colts or Texans would make the most sense IMO, the jets or buffalo would make sense too from a need standpoint anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bwarbiany said:

Is there any way that Pittsburgh can orchestrate a trade that involves rescinding the tag?

No team can sign him to a long term deal until after the season without rescinding the tag. But I wonder if there's a legal way for them to basically trade away their rights for compensation and in the process rescind the tag. 

It seems like that would be win-win-win for Bell, the Steelers, and whoever they trade to. 

Deadline for long term deal has passed.  It was July 16 or whatever.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Deadline for long term deal has passed.  It was July 16 or whatever.

Not if the tag is rescinded, making him a free agent.

I just don't know if there is *ANY* way to orchestrate a trade, considering by rescinding the tag you give up your rights to him, that rescinds the tag.

I'm just saying it's win-win-win, if it can happen. Steelers get to control which team he goes to [not a division/AFC rival]. The receiving team gets a long-term deal instead of a half-year rental. Bell gets his long-term deal. Win-win-win.

I just don't know if it's even legal within the CBA.

• Like 1

Just now, bwarbiany said:

Not if the tag is rescinded, making him a free agent.

I just don't know if there is *ANY* way to orchestrate a trade, considering by rescinding the tag you give up your rights to him, that rescinds the tag.

I'm just saying it's win-win-win, if it can happen. Steelers get to control which team he goes to [not a division/AFC rival]. The receiving team gets a long-term deal instead of a half-year rental. Bell gets his long-term deal. Win-win-win.

I just don't know if it's even legal within the CBA.

If the Steelers rescind the tag, Bell is an unrestricted free agent.  So they won't.  They could still sign Bell to a different, higher one year deal.  But they won't.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

If the Steelers rescind the tag, Bell is an unrestricted free agent.  So they won't.  They could still sign Bell to a different, higher one year deal.  But they won't.

Understood. And the fact that I've not seen any digital ink spilled on this theory suggests that it's not possible.

I just wonder if the Steelers can actually trade for them rescinding the tag? I.e. if San Francisco wants to sign Bell for a long-term deal, can Pittsburgh trade a third-round pick in exchange for rescinding the tag? 

Is that even a thing? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. 

7 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Understood. And the fact that I've not seen any digital ink spilled on this theory suggests that it's not possible.

I just wonder if the Steelers can actually trade for them rescinding the tag? I.e. if San Francisco wants to sign Bell for a long-term deal, can Pittsburgh trade a third-round pick in exchange for rescinding the tag? 

Is that even a thing? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. 

No.  Once they rescind the TAG they have no rights.

To make the offer to rescind on the agreement Bell won’t sign with Ravens (for example) would get them sued.

47 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I think Bell is attempting to keep himself in GM’s minds to trade for, and that he’s not really the “bad guy”.

I take the Earl Thomas response to be he’ll sit out the year if necessary.  That seems more genuine...

I haven’t seen any signs the Steelers are flinching on a long term deal.

none of this even makes any sense

you completely ignore Bell's conversation with Fowler

his comment in regards to Thomas is clearly him poking the bear a little with his reference as the "bad guy" and the narrative that is out there that because he is sitting out he is the "bad guy".  there is a degree of sarcasm there, no where in that comment did he say he is sitting out the year, but you choose to interpret that as he is missing the year, yet when he tells a reporter he is coming back in week 7 during the bye you dismiss it,  how does that logic work?

what does the Steelers intention of a long term deal have anything to do with it?  that ship sailed in July. 

he is putting this out there now to basically tell everyone he intends to play this year, this gives him several weeks to get himself ready, and then when week 8 comes along he is either a Steeler or he is with another team because they traded him.

7 minutes ago, Panthor said:

none of this even makes any sense

you completely ignore Bell's conversation with Fowler

his comment in regards to Thomas is clearly him poking the bear a little with his reference as the "bad guy" and the narrative that is out there that because he is sitting out he is the "bad guy".  there is a degree of sarcasm there, no where in that comment did he say he is sitting out the year, but you choose to interpret that as he is missing the year, yet when he tells a reporter he is coming back in week 7 during the bye you dismiss it,  how does that logic work?

what does the Steelers intention of a long term deal have anything to do with it?  that ship sailed in July. 

he is putting this out there now to basically tell everyone he intends to play this year, this gives him several weeks to get himself ready, and then when week 8 comes along he is either a Steeler or he is with another team because they traded him.

Why would Bell return week 7?  I took the conversation with Fowler as PR.

Bell’s intention is save the wear and tear on his body.  I don’t see a trade happening.  I don’t see Bell playing out the year, and signing a deal with the Steelers (because they’ve realized they need him).

I see Bell hitting the FA.  Why would Bell come back week 7... that’s not logical.  He might do it anyways... many of his decisions haven’t been logical.  How much of that’s on Bell or on his agent, I don’t know.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

It would, but Baltimore is perennially capped out.  Don't know how much that changes if they get rid of Flacco, but it seems unlikely they'd be able to afford him.

17 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Why would Bell return week 7?  I took the conversation with Fowler as PR.

Bell’s intention is save the wear and tear on his body.  I don’t see a trade happening.  I don’t see Bell playing out the year, and signing a deal with the Steelers (because they’ve realized they need him).

I see Bell hitting the FA.  Why would Bell come back week 7... that’s not logical.  He might do it anyways... many of his decisions haven’t been logical.  How much of that’s on Bell or on his agent, I don’t know.

It’s not that hard to understand.

He’s coming back because he doesn’t want to lose ALL his money this year. Starting Week 8 is essentially, half the season. That’s a lot of wear and tear saved, PLUS he still gets half a season of money.

He’ll probably come back the Saturday of Week 6. That means he gets paid for week 6 and doesn’t have to play the Week 6 Sunday. He then gets paid for bye week, then plays week 8, with the bye week giving him time to get accustomed to everything 

• Like 1

without having to read the last 10 pages of the thread, am I to understand that under no circumstances can Bell sign a long term deal WITH Pitt until the offseason? Essentially meaning Bell's only leverage is to sign the tag and showcase his talents for another team next year (given the high likelihood that Pitt will not give him what he's wanting)? Does ANYONE see him playing for Pitt beyond this season?

8 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

without having to read the last 10 pages of the thread, am I to understand that under no circumstances can Bell sign a long term deal WITH Pitt until the offseason? Essentially meaning Bell's only leverage is to sign the tag and showcase his talents for another team next year (given the high likelihood that Pitt will not give him what he's wanting)? Does ANYONE see him playing for Pitt beyond this season?

Pitt can rescind the tag, he becomes a FA and they can compete on the open market to resign him to a new deal, which would be the most improbable scenario

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 1

I read a few articles over the last hour.

In none of them does Bell specify a timetable for his return - only sources have reported week 7.

The quotes from his interview are interesting.  On the one hand, he talks about staying in shape, being ready now, giving it his all when he does play, and wanting to win a SB with the Steelers. 

On the other hand, he says he doesn't want to play without being assured of a long term deal and, while he says he never planned on sitting out the whole season, doesn't dismiss the possibility. 

A lot of mixed messages there.

I think Bell, like he says, does miss playing football.  I also think he had planned on reporting week 1 before changing his mind/being talked out of it.  I really don't think we can assume that even he knows what he's going to do in 3 weeks.

The transition tag talk is interesting as well.  If the Steelers really are of a mind to lobby that his 2018 salary should be based on the prorated value (that is, what he is actually paid) and reduced accordingly, why not make the same argument for another franchise tag?  So if he reports in week 7, that's 11 weeks × $855k = $9.4m.

A third straight franchise tag at 150% of his 2018 salary would then be only $14.1m - and now everyone is back to where they were heading into this season.  And if he comes back this week, it's 13 × $855k = $11.1m... × 1.5 = $16.67m.

@$15m isn't nearly as prohibitive a cap hit as the $21m a third consecutive franchise tag would've cost them had Bell played the entire year.  Bell's leverage would seem to evaporate. 

The question then is: what incentive, beyond his emotional desire to play, does Bell have to come back at all this year if the Steelers can effectively argue that a third franchise tag should be prorated, thus roughly the same value/cap hit as a franchise tag applied at this year's terms? 

They'd have the same ability, based on proration, to franchise him next year whether he comes back in week 7 or sits out the entire season...

10 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Okay, so is he actually coming back after the bye or not

No one, probably including Bell, knows

(See my post above)

Edited by SadFaceHappy