Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

7 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Really? what was the quote you are using to support that statement?

The only quote we have from him in this thread.  You gotta read between the lines...

4 minutes ago, Robrain said:

That's because the Steelers know they lose the battle of public opinion based on how they've handled this.

What have the Steelers done wrong and who in the public is bashing them for using the franchise tag on a RB when everyone knows RBs have short shelf lives. Most experts seem to think the Steelers are handling this right.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The only quote we have from him in this thread.  You gotta read between the lines...

You mean the part where he said Leveon still wants to set statistical records this year?

What did you read between the lines on that quote from the interview?

Bell owners would be smart to try their hardest to get Conner before he has an RB1 outing vs CLE. I wouldn't be surprised now if the Steelers feed Conner to prove a point and he has multiple touchdowns

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

You mean the part where he said Leveon still wants to set statistical records this year?

If he was serious about setting records he would've shown that by reporting for game 1. At this point he won't play even if he returns this week. It's probably best to play every game if you plan on being in a record book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

What have the Steelers done wrong and who in the public is bashing them for using the franchise tag on a RB when everyone knows RBs have short shelf lives. Most experts seem to think the Steelers are handling this right.

He said he wanted a long term deal and did not want to be tagged a second time.

The team said it was within their rights to tag him a second time.

He is saying it is within his rights to sit out for up to 10 games this season, report when he wants, and we don't know when that will be.  Both sides are just doing what is within their rights.

What the Steelers should have done is signed him to a nice five year extension 2-3 years ago.  It would have ended at 29 or 30.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

The part that read like this:

"Le'Veon is going to do what he needs to do to protect his long term value."

That tells me they aren't thinking about this year.  But maybe I am reading it all wrong.  What's your interpretation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Did it say anywhere he was referring to football? Maybe he is big into PUBG or Extreme Rollerblading?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The part that read like this:

"Le'Veon is going to do what he needs to do to protect his long term value."

That tells me they aren't thinking about this year.  But maybe I am reading it all wrong.  What's your interpretation?

My interpretation is that no one can say based on these interviews exactly what Bell will do. He wants to protect his long term value. Great. Which NFL player doesn't?

He also wants to set records this year. 

He has zero incentive to report before Saturday if he is really upset. Once he doesn't report in time to get paid Sunday, things spiral out of control. But for now, I wouldn't be trading him away based on the notion that he is out until week 10. 

If Connors comes in and does great and the team is 8-2, Bell would be out 8 million or so and look like a product of the Steelers system and will be 27 years old. Good luck recouping that lost money in free agency.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oban14 said:

He said he wanted a long term deal and did not want to be tagged a second time.

The team said it was within their rights to tag him a second time.

He is saying it is within his rights to sit out for up to 10 games this season, report when he wants, and we don't know when that will be.  Both sides are just doing what is within their rights.

What the Steelers should have done is signed him to a nice five year extension 2-3 years ago.  It would have ended at 29 or 30.

The problem with that was his suspension that happened a few years back. Around that time was as good as any for a big deal. It came and went, I know the steelers aren't counting the suspensions against him but hes not at a prime age for a long extension. But I think he can ultimately blame those suspensions or he would've been signed years ago.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

My interpretation is that no one can say based on these interviews exactly what Bell will do. He wants to protect his long term value. Great. Which NFL player doesn't?

He has zero incentive to report before Saturday if he is really upset. Once he doesn't report in time to get paid Sunday, things spiral out of control. But for now, I wouldn't be trading him away based on the notion that he is out until week 10. 

If Connors comes in and does great and the team is 8-2, Bell would be out 8 million or so and look like a product of the Steelers system and will be 27 years old. Good luck recouping that lost money in free agency.....

Yeah, those are good points.  Bell and his agent have to weigh all of that.  If Bell comes back soon and kills it here in 2018, he will prove once again how awesome he is but then teams may shy away since he will have possibly has heavy workloads for 2-3 straight seasons.

If Bell and his agent think that the other 31 NFL teams already know Bell is elite, maybe they figure this year won't change that perception.  Just get to unrestricted FA with as little wear and tear as possible.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

Wasn’t him saying that he “wants to set records” part of his bargaining ploy to get the deal he wanted? I could have have sworn that his agent basically said things change when asked about the whole setting records talk, could be wrong though. At this point I would guess setting records aren’t much of a concern. 

1 minute ago, phisouza33 said:

Wasn’t him saying that he “wants to set records” part of his bargaining ploy to get the deal he wanted? I could have have sworn that his agent basically said things change when asked about the whole setting records talk, could be wrong though. At this point I would guess setting records aren’t much of a concern. 

Everything his agent says is part of the bargaining ploy. He didn't even say anything of substance and people are freaking out about Bell not playing until week 10. Job well done, i'd say. 

• Like 2

The real question is... where do you draft him now if you are drafting tonight/tomorrow?  And where is Conner going to go?

What was zeke last year with a possible 6 game?  Pick 14-20 I think in PPR?  

Strategy wise, if you could get Bell near the 2/3 turn and Connor in 6/7/8, that's not a bad investment to lock up the backfield for the year.  But if Conner creeps up into the 3/4/5th, that's a lot to invest.  Thoughts?

Just now, ffhawks said:

The real question is... where do you draft him now if you are drafting tonight/tomorrow?  And where is Conner going to go?

What was zeke last year with a possible 6 game?  Pick 14-20 I think in PPR?  

Strategy wise, if you could get Bell near the 2/3 turn and Connor in 6/7/8, that's not a bad investment to lock up the backfield for the year.  But if Conner creeps up into the 3/4/5th, that's a lot to invest.  Thoughts?

3rd-early 4th in most drafts

Try to get Conner somewhat cheap is what I would do.  No way would I touch Bell under any circumstances.  You want him possibly doing his first warm-up game for your fantasy roster in week 11?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Everything his agent says is part of the bargaining ploy. He didn't even say anything of substance and people are freaking out about Bell not playing until week 10. Job well done, i'd say. 

Very possible, also equally possible they are totally serious. Jmo but at this point i think the whole record setting talk was to land a contract and in reality he doesn’t give a single damn about doing so any longer. 

4 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

That's a clever post, except there is no ability to bargain.  The deadline has passed.  It's play on the tag, or don't.  (Until week 11).

3 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

3rd-early 4th in most drafts

You are going to spend a fourth round pick on a guy who may not play until week 11?  I won't.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

That's a clever post, except there is no ability to bargain.  The deadline has passed.  It's play on the tag, or don't.  (Until week 11).

They can't sign him to a contract regardless?  Interesting.  I figured it plays out like this... week 1, Conner gets stuffed against a very good Browns run D, they loose by a TD to the 1-31 Browns, and panic with a 4 year deal

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yeah, those are good points.  Bell and his agent have to weigh all of that.  If Bell comes back soon and kills it here in 2018, he will prove once again how awesome he is but then teams may shy away since he will have possibly has heavy workloads for 2-3 straight seasons.

If Bell and his agent think that the other 31 NFL teams already know Bell is elite, maybe they figure this year won't change that perception.  Just get to unrestricted FA with as little wear and tear as possible.

I think everyone knows that Bell is elite right now and everyone knows that RBs over 27 aren't as good as the younger backs...generally. So whether he holds out or plays, his value is what it is. 

Therefore, by holding out all he is doing is costing himself money this year. That is why I think he reports by Saturday. Once he doesn't come in Saturday.....

8 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Exactly. Everyone is trying to "read between the lines" of an agent who isn't really saying anything. 

7 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I disagree, there is nothing left to bargain.  It's take your $850K per game, or don't.  The only leverage Bell has is to be perfectly healthy for Week 10 to maximize his ability of a healthy superbowl run and a record breaking contract.  There is NOTHING the Steelers can do to sweeten his financial situation, that ship sailed.  Even if Conner goes down in Week 1 or Week 5, the only thing I believe the Steelers have the power to do is decide not to fine him his missed game checks and essentially reimburse him for lost pay to end his holdout.  So Le'Veon's final bargaining chip is to be paid for the year, with only playing X number of games, in the instance of Pittsburg's desperation at the RB position.

• Like 1