Jump to content
Rotoworld.com Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook


afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

 

It's a bad look for the offensive line. Most players don't get involved in fellow teammates' contract business. That goes for pretty much all sports. Guys hold out all the time and it's really nobody's business but their own.

 

 

I think his teammates publicly calling him out is more reflective of the culture of the Steelers and lack of control Tomlin has over his team.  I remember when Logan Mankins held out for the Patriots for 2 months, you would not hear a peep about him from anyone on the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

#Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey wants Le’Veon Bell to know this: "A star is born every year in the NFL. Did anyone know #Chiefs’ Kareem Hunt would be an All-Pro before last season? If James Conner didn't have cancer, he'd have been a first rounder.... Just watch him.”

 

Pouncey signed a contract in 2014 that at the time, made him the highest-paid center in the NFL. Who is he to lecture Bell on his own contract status?

 

What a hypocrite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

This is all much to do about nothing. I think Bell will report soon, well before week 10, and he'll still be a stud the majority of the season.

 

Conner seems like a fine player, but he's not Lev Bell. Unless Conner has a huge Week 1, the pressure is going to be on the Steelers to get Bell into camp.

But the Steelers can't do anything else to induce Bell to come to camp.  They have already used the nuclear option (aka the franchise tag).  You don't get it, do you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, simanium said:

 

I think his teammates publicly calling him out is more reflective of the culture of the Steelers and lack of control Tomlin has over his team.  I remember when Logan Mankins held out for the Patriots for 2 months, you would not hear a peep about him from anyone on the team. 

Who? 

 

 

 

 

j/k

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But the Steelers can't do anything else to induce Bell to come to camp.  They have already used the nuclear option (aka the franchise tag).  You don't get it, do you?

 

Well, there is one thing they can do. Pay him what he wants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Saucy said:

If the only thing standing between me and four 325lb professional athletes paid to fall on me was my offensive lineman, the very last thing I'd want to do is piss them off.

 

they are pissed now, but once he signs and they are on the field all will be forgiven for those 60 minutes.  that being said if we are to take what the agent said about long term value, he isn't going to be coming back any time soon. and since there is nothing to negotiate at this point i don't see any reason to not take him at his word that he is going to preserve his long term value.  which means not "putting more miles" on the tires than what is necessary.

 

6 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

This is all much to do about nothing. I think Bell will report soon, well before week 10, and he'll still be a stud the majority of the season.

 

Conner seems like a fine player, but he's not Lev Bell. Unless Conner has a huge Week 1, the pressure is going to be on the Steelers to get Bell into camp.

 

 

it is a big deal when your agent basically announces to the football world that you have one foot out the door, which is what he effectively did when he said the goal is to maintain long term value.  if it were a hold out, sure we could argue it is negotiating tactic, but there is nothing to negotiate here, he either plays for the tender or he sits till he has to show up  to get his year played credit.    at this point seems the only thing that is going to cut this short is a complete change in narrative that completely paints him as the villian and basically forces his hand to have to come back earlier.  his Oline calling him out is probably the first move on that strategy, and like i said when this is all over everyone is going to know what Bell is all about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wize1 said:

 

Well, there is one thing they can do. Pay him what he wants.

 

 

no they can't, the deadline passed,  this isn't a contract negotiation, this isn't a ploy by either side to try to get more money, there is no more money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Steelers should pay him then.  He wants security give it to him or move on.  I don't blame Bell one bit for taking care of him. He's earned it. 

 

Yep, more than earned his payday for this franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

Lol.  They can't.  They can only pay him the franchise tag price.  Re-read the last 30 pages.

 

They can still negotiate an extension if he agrees to return and signs the tag for 2018.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

they are pissed now, but once he signs and they are on the field all will be forgiven for those 60 minutes.  that being said if we are to take what the agent said about long term value, he isn't going to be coming back any time soon. and since there is nothing to negotiate at this point i don't see any reason to not take him at his word that he is going to preserve his long term value.  which means not "putting more miles" on the tires than what is necessary.

 

 

 

it is a big deal when your agent basically announces to the football world that you have one foot out the door, which is what he effectively did when he said the goal is to maintain long term value.  if it were a hold out, sure we could argue it is negotiating tactic, but there is nothing to negotiate here, he either plays for the tender or he sits till he has to show up  to get his year played credit.    at this point seems the only thing that is going to cut this short is a complete change in narrative that completely paints him as the villian and basically forces his hand to have to come back earlier.  his Oline calling him out is probably the first move on that strategy, and like i said when this is all over everyone is going to know what Bell is all about. 

 

Or Bell will end up on a new team next year and win a couple of Super Bowls with said team and the narrative that goes down in history will be that in 2018, Bell held out to protect his legacy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Steelers should pay him then.  He wants security give it to him or move on.  I don't blame Bell one bit for taking care of him. He's earned it. 

 

For as idiotic as the kid has been the offer they made was pretty damn good

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robrain said:

 

If another team would pay Leveon Bell more (fair market value) than what the Steelers are offering, then the Steelers lowballing their star player and holding him without long term guarantees via the franchise tag absolutely puts them in a bad light.

 

With everything we know about concussions, refusing to pay your elite talent that you hand the ball to 400 times a season is grotesque.

 

The owners sure as hell are making money hand over fist without risking their bodies, the players like Leveon deserve the money they've earned with their performance.

I agree the owners are making a lot of money. I agree that players should be paid. But there is still a salary cap and teams have to play by those rules. So the more they pay Bell the less they have for the rest of their team.  Steelers have shown in the past they don't bend over to players demands. They will offer what they feel is a good amount for their star players but they won't blow their budget.  Steelers aren't going to flinch in this battle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robrain said:

 

Or Bell will end up on a new team next year and win a couple of Super Bowls with said team and the narrative that goes down in history will be that in 2018, Bell held out to protect his legacy.

 

huh?  not sure what that has anything to do with what i posted, but okay

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...