Rotoworld.com Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

2 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

They can still negotiate an extension if he agrees to return and signs the tag for 2018.

No, they can't. After July 19, they can't negotiate an extension with a player on a franchise tag until the season is over.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I agree the owners are making a lot of money. I agree that players should be paid. But there is still a salary cap and teams have to play by those rules. So the more they pay Bell the less they have for the rest of their team.  Steelers have shown in the past they don't bend over to players demands. They will offer what they feel is a good amount for their star players but they won't blow their budget.  Steelers aren't going to flinch in this battle.

well then Leveon Bell won't be a Steeler more than likely 

1 minute ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Technically, they could rescind the tag and make him a FA right now. 

yeah but why would they want to do that?  not like there is someone in FA they are dying to spend that money on anywys

1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

I agree the owners are making a lot of money. I agree that players should be paid. But there is still a salary cap and teams have to play by those rules. So the more they pay Bell the less they have for the rest of their team.  Steelers have shown in the past they don't bend over to players demands. They will offer what they feel is a good amount for their star players but they won't blow their budget.  Steelers aren't going to flinch in this battle.

it isn't that they don't want to pay him, they don't want him on the books for multiple years, they are paying him a ton this year if he showed up. 

7 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

Thanks, you're right, technically. He can't sign a contract immediately, but they can agree on an extension that technically can't be signed until after the last game of the season. So there is a situation where they can go, look, come back under the tag, and we're paying you XYXYXY at the end of the season.

Just now, PackerBacker555 said:

Where is he going to be traded to? I think that’s the only solution now with teammates saying all th

Hmmm

list some teams

I would say the Colts are the only team who could potentially afford him and are prime candidates for some RB help.

1 minute ago, Wize1 said:

Thanks, you're right, technically. He can't sign a contract immediately, but they can agree on an extension that technically can't be signed until after the last game of the season. So there is a situation where they can go, look, come back under the tag, and we're paying you XYXYXY at the end of the season.

There is risk if he gets injured during the season. Then the verbal offer could be rescinded. 

2 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

There is risk if he gets injured during the season. Then the verbal offer could be rescinded. 

Exactly. There is no way the involved parties settle on a verbal offer. I do not think there is enough trust or confidence between the two. 

1 minute ago, KuNiT21 said:

I would say the Colts are the only team who could potentially afford him and are prime candidates for some RB help.

I don’t think they’d be interested in a long term contract.  They have 3 young receivers to develop...

They’re also not contenders.  Maybe they’d take Bell on his franchise tag money.  But a long term contract?  Or giving the Steelers picks... I doubt it.

This isn’t like Mack who we can assume will play his entire contract at the highest level.  Bell has already beaten the odds, every year going forward is Russian roulette.

Whatever happened to teammates expressing their frustrations about matters like this in-house as opposed to going to the media. So what, he makes seven times more than him. Maybe Mr. Foster should get a new agent if he feels that he is being underpaid. I don't think its the time and place for another player to publicly voice their opinion about someone's pocket and career. Yeah, you would wish that he was there with you, but there are reasons that have been discussed throughout this thread as to why he is not there and reasons that his fellow teammates should know about. He's talking about the game plan but what about Le'veon's career?

I'm off my soapbox. lol.

Steelers LG Ramon Foster and C Maurkice Pouncey expressed frustration with Le'Veon Bell continuing his holdout on Wednesday.

"What do you do? Here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, so I guess we’ll treat it as such. I just hate it came to this," Foster said. "He’s making seven times what I make, twice as much as [LT] Al [Villanueva] is making and we’re the guys who do it for him." Pouncey added, "The business part...I get it. But not if it's game day. We have a game this Sunday, we're all the way into the game plan and you're still not here?" Players typically side with players on money, but not when it's costing the team potential wins with Bell not showing up. This is getting ugly for Bell.
Sep 5 - 3:58 PM

Ok...

So who knows if a sign & trade agreement can be negotiated for a long term deal when it's a franchise tag player rather than being a one-year rental? Anyone?

Because if not, I don't see how he gets traded.

18 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

So they're going to lose his services for half the season, and that's on them, not Bell.  They don't want to pay him fair market value, the franchise tag is a gamble, not a guarantee.  According to the CBA, players only need to play 8 games to accrue a season.  Management knew that and decided to play chicken with Bell instead of paying him.  Bell has called their bluff and management is sweating bullets because they're the ones that will go down in history looking bad if Roethlisberger retires without another Super Bowl when they could have paid their star RB and kept the roster intact.

• Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived